cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a Pullrite

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my Reese 16K with a new Pullrite Super 5th 20K hitch prior to taking delivery of my new 5er. With the Reese I always closed the hitch using the handle when not hooked up. The Pullrite manual says the hitch stays open. If you want to close it for safety you're told in the manual to "use a probe device to simulate the kingpin."

Maybe it's just me but this seems sketchy. What do all you Pullrite owners do? What do you recommend for a probe? (and I really hate throwing out that straight line but there you go)
49 REPLIES 49

WillyB
Explorer
Explorer
Stop by any truck stop and pick up a fifth wheel puller. Usually they are chrome and about 3 to 4 feet long with two hooks opposed on the end. The other end is usually hefty enough for a tire thumper. I use mine to fish things out from the back of the truck or the deep storage compartments. You can stand on the ground by the tailgate and pop the jaws closed or reach over to pull the handle to open them.

danny_smith
Explorer
Explorer
I use a old awning pull rod left over from a manual awning that I had. Works great!

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I used the metal awning rod to close the jaws. Worked just fine.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Garry&Gayle wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Garry&Gayle wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
Here's an idea. When the new truck comes in just take those off and send them to me! You will want a new upgraded set on the new truck....

Hopefully he ordered the wheel to wheel steps.
If you really want to upgrade your hitch get an AirSafe with Binkley head or Trailersaver with Binkley head

Unfortunately RAM does not make wheel to wheel steps.

I just looked under build and price a Ram 3500 DRW and its under the options list by the backup camera, found it numerous times when we were considering a Ram

Interesting! Never seen that option or have not seen any in person.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I just went out and tried mine as I always leave it out. I stood at the back of the truck and reached in with a 4 foot aluminum level and pushed on the latch. It jumped in and the jaws locked shut with a SSSSHHHAAA SSSHHHUUUNNNKKKK. It was a beautiful sound. Now I just need to remember to open it.

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
fidhleir wrote:
For those that do close it, how much pressure does it take? Is it just a tap at the right spot or does it require some amount of force?

Standing in the back of my truck behind the hitch with the hitch jaw open and the handle in the unlocked position... I pull the handle out slightly to relieve pressure on the locking assembly and gently pull back on the locking activation lever (same lever the pin box pin activates when you back in to hitch)

The lever pulls back effortlessly this way,a bungee cord "S" hook works well as does a welding rod with the end bent in a hook position.I then slowly let the handle return to the locked position.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Garry&Gayle wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
Here's an idea. When the new truck comes in just take those off and send them to me! You will want a new upgraded set on the new truck....

If you really want to upgrade your hitch get an AirSafe with Binkley head or Trailersaver with Binkley head

I just looked under build and price a Ram 3500 DRW and its under the options list by the backup camera, found it numerous times when we were considering a Ram

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
I leave mine open. Why close it?

Closing it is a safety issue..;)

Some may want to leave jaws in *closed* position when hitch is not in use - bad things could happen if a kid (or you) had their hand in there!.:(
Murphy's Law.

*If* you wish to close it, I use approx a two-foot piece of 1 x 2.
(Easy to do from the ground, standing at rear of pickup bed)

Look just below the jaws.
You will see the (small) round metal bar that "triggers" jaws to close.
(It hits the pin, causing jaws to close when hitching)

Insert 1 x 2 - push on it with 1 x 2.

Jaws slam shut.

I just toss the 1 x 2 inside the pin box on the trlr when done.
BTW - Hasn't fell out of there in thousands of miles - no big deal if it did.

But -
*If* you have a problem remembering to open the jaws before hitching,
probably not a good idea, LOL!
(For me it's an easy "SOP".)

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good. Thanks, everyone.

Reng8d
Explorer
Explorer
fidhleir wrote:
For those that do close it, how much pressure does it take? Is it just a tap at the right spot or does it require some amount of force?

I use a broom handle to trip our mechanism...as far as amount of force, it does requuire a little bit around the 5lbs or so mentioned. Ours is new so I'm not sure if it requires less over time and use....
Stephen and Nancy 🙂
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
I'm cheap. I just use that tire step that is on both sides of my truck.

Instructions: Place both hands on bed rail. Place foot on tire. Pull with arms as you step up on tire.

This is also the easiest way to get into the bed of the truck.

I'm cheap too but now I'm cheap and OLD. I was doing that but now that my back is all jacked up I have to keep stopping myself. 🙂

I guess they make a step that hangs on the tire, maybe I'll look at those.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I'm cheap. I just use that tire step that is on both sides of my truck.

Instructions: Place both hands on bed rail. Place foot on tire. Pull with arms as you step up on tire.

This is also the easiest way to get into the bed of the truck.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arcamper wrote:

Ny Dad has the same truck and he has spoken for it!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Garry&Gayle wrote:
Arcamper wrote: