cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Closing a Pullrite

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my Reese 16K with a new Pullrite Super 5th 20K hitch prior to taking delivery of my new 5er. With the Reese I always closed the hitch using the handle when not hooked up. The Pullrite manual says the hitch stays open. If you want to close it for safety you're told in the manual to "use a probe device to simulate the kingpin."

Maybe it's just me but this seems sketchy. What do all you Pullrite owners do? What do you recommend for a probe? (and I really hate throwing out that straight line but there you go)
49 REPLIES 49

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
fidhleir wrote:
For those that do close it, how much pressure does it take? Is it just a tap at the right spot or does it require some amount of force?

Mine required a little force. Don't know how many pounds but I would guess 5 or more.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
For those that do close it, how much pressure does it take? Is it just a tap at the right spot or does it require some amount of force?

psuce
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me and I wanted to make a "tool" to close it I would buy a 10' stick of 1 1/2" PVC sch40 pipe from Lowes/Home Depot. I would cut one piece about 4" long and one piece about 5' (depending on bed length). Glue in an elbow and now you have a "tool" you can use to latch/close the hitch from the back of the bed without climbing in or over the bed. FYI - 1 1/2" PVC Sch40 is a 1.9" o.d.

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:
Here's an idea. When the new truck comes in just take those off and send them to me! You will want a new upgraded set on the new truck....

Hopefully he ordered the wheel to wheel steps.
If you really want to upgrade your hitch get an AirSafe with Binkley head or Trailersaver with Binkley head

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an idea. When the new truck comes in just take those off and send them to me! You will want a new upgraded set on the new truck....
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old Duck wrote:
Nice step, Cummins!

Thanks! It really works well.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Nice step, Cummins!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Closed position

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arcamper wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
They can be left open unless little hands may be near when you take it out. As an owner of a 3300 Superglide for 7 years I only closed mine a few times. Do not do it by hand because it will bite.(Don't ask how I know) That feature I really liked because when you hit the pin on the trailer there is no doubt it is latched along with a quick look at the handle. Cummins12V98 will shoot me but that was one feature I like better over the B&W I now have. I have to get up in the truck to close the handle and pin it. I will say though the B&W is a stronger built hitch with thicker jaws. Having used both these American built products you can't go wrong.

PulRite would be my choice with a auto slide.

I just like the simple no questions design of the B&W. If people like what they have that is great. I just want people in the market to look at them side by side and not go for what their RV salesman wants to sell them for example.

You need one of these! Makes closing and opening the hitch a breeze and also getting into the tool box.

I like that better than the 4 foot ladder I was about to buy. I could reach the handle on my Superglide with the old truck but this new truck has to big a butt! Where can I find a step like that?

I made it. May start selling them. Need to look at new truck with and without air ride to determine attachment location.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
They can be left open unless little hands may be near when you take it out. As an owner of a 3300 Superglide for 7 years I only closed mine a few times. Do not do it by hand because it will bite.(Don't ask how I know) That feature I really liked because when you hit the pin on the trailer there is no doubt it is latched along with a quick look at the handle. Cummins12V98 will shoot me but that was one feature I like better over the B&W I now have. I have to get up in the truck to close the handle and pin it. I will say though the B&W is a stronger built hitch with thicker jaws. Having used both these American built products you can't go wrong.

I just like the simple no questions design of the B&W. If people like what they have that is great. I just want people in the market to look at them side by side and not go for what their RV salesman wants to sell them for example.

You need one of these! Makes closing and opening the hitch a breeze and also getting into the tool box.

I like that better than the 4 foot ladder I was about to buy. I could reach the handle on my Superglide with the old truck but this new truck has to big a butt! Where can I find a step like that?
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
I always close mine,I like the handle in so I don't trip on it... I use a black bungee cord with the "S" hook to activate the close latch and hold the handle and let it release slowly to a closed position.

The hitch and other bed contents is then covered with the roll up bed cover.My SuperGlide has been in servive since September of 2006.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arcamper wrote:

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Leave open! No reason to close it?

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
Before choosing the Pullrite, I researched the forum and other sources. Both Pullrite and B&W seemed highly recommended though the Pullrite appeared more popular. I wanted to use my existing rails and the B&W doesn't show anything beyond 18K. Still I have to say I was surprised and think it a poor design that I can't close it with a handle or, at the very least, a factory supplied tool. Leaving it to customers to determine what is a safe and suitable "probe" is asking for trouble.

Human factors engineering, because there's no patch for stupid