Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

considering buying a fifth wheel

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I'm thinking about buying an 02 Snowbird. 26.5 feet. Probably the most basic model. This would be my first 5th wheel. I've been a truck camper guy for 20 years.

So I'm wondering if there are known problems with this model, and if there is anything other than the basic stuff (evidence of water damage, stuff that doesn't work, etc.) I should look for. I'd appreciate any advice, and thanks in advance.
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags
6 REPLIES 6

stteardrop
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that I wished I had done before I purchased was to take a good look at the manufacturer books that come with the unit. I found out after the fact that if I had looked at them carefully, they told me what I could expect as far as how I use the unit and what will happen if I do something that it was not designed to do. For instance, I have an older 1994 5er and the Dometic refrigerator is not to be operated/turned on when the outside temperature is below 55 degrees!! If you plan on being strictly a summertime RVer, its probably not an issue with how it will be operated, but if you want flexibility in time of travel, best check to see what your rig can tolerate by reading the manuals. I think sometimes there are clues in those books, but few spend time looking at them.

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from what Old-Biscuit said need to inspect the roof and for any signs of leakage.
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
One weak spot on many 5th wheels is overloaded tires which means a lot of flat tires. Check to see if the brand name on all the tires match. If so that means it probably is OK in that area. If they are all different then it may mean a problem.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
dpgerson wrote:
Hello all,

I'm thinking about buying an 02 Snowbird. 26.5 feet. Probably the most basic model. This would be my first 5th wheel. I've been a truck camper guy for 20 years.

So I'm wondering if there are known problems with this model, and if there is anything other than the basic stuff (evidence of water damage, stuff that doesn't work, etc.) I should look for. I'd appreciate any advice, and thanks in advance.

Going to join the NUWA family you may want a little more info go: Here and Here
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a rock solid unit. As mentioned check for suspension wear. The frame is one of the best made by Youngs Welding.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tires......age of tires/see DOT info on sidewall (XXYY-------week and year 3205---32nd week of 2005)
IF over 5 yrs. old plan on new tires ASAP
Also note current thread wear patterns.....indication of axle alignment, bent axles/spindles

Look over suspension.......springs/shackles/mounting holes etc. Worn/broken/mis-aligned. Springs still have arch/not flattened

Check area around pin box.....look for heavy caulking/wide gaps, broken trim screws, cracking/spider webbing in front cap/sidewalls----indication of pin box flex
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31