cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering going from a TT to FW

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2014 Spree Connect C290IKS. Nice enough trailer, but looking toward the future (more immediate than I anticipated), and we're looking to go to a 2014 Wildcat (FR) 327CK.

Looking to off-load a 2014 TT (purchased June 2014), I can expect a loss to an extent. In speaking with a few dealers already, they offer in the neighborhood of 50% off MSRP for trade. Now I paid about 30% less than MSRP, but I am not willing to accept a 20% loss for 6 months of use (5 trips, ~1,000 miles), so a trade option may be off the table.

What would be the best way to mitigate the loss? Sell the TT privately, then find the FW? Is there anything I'm missing, or the situation is what it is?
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI
24 REPLIES 24

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The problem with selling it yourself is that your selling price will be very close to what a new one can be bought for.
Holding onto you old unit is the only way to avoid the loss. Otherwise you are going to take a hit.
Trading it in will ultimately be the most painless way.
You will get your best deal now while RV sales are at their slowest.
Dealers are a bit desperate and more willing to be creative to make a sale.
Come Spring your trailer will be easier to sell, but the dealer will have a easier time selling his trailers as well.
Decide how much of a hit you are willing to take and try to negotiate that figure now.
Good Luck it's sort of a no win scenario. Selling a 6 month old financed RV will always be a losing proposition
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
goukcats wrote:
kep5niner, My dealer also sells Wildcat. Recently while discussing the wide usage of Lippert frames throughout the industry, he stated that FR had started their own in-house frame shop. The Wildcat is the first FR product to get it. If you aren't already aware of this; it may be something to consider when looking at model years. He talked like they were already using the new frame on 2015 models. I don't know if that is good or bad but if there were frame warranty issues, you would only have to deal directly with FR. He also mentioned that Wildcat made a lot of changes to upgrade features for 2015. Another consideration is all remaining 2014's will be 2 yrs old in about 3 months; but that may also mean there are deals if you can find one.

I know the 2015 does have a BAL frame, calling it a NXG frame for 2015. Their literature references a new paint/powder coat system, and visually I can see that the frame design affords more pass-through storage in the 2015 vice the 2014. I think the 2014 is still a BAL, which is the same as my KZ. I have read that Lippert is a four-letter word around here... I never want to pass up more storage, but are far from full-timing, so our cargo would not be too excessive, and limiting storage volume would encourage us not to overpack.
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
GypsiesAtHeart2016 wrote:
You'll also only pay sales tax on the amount after your trade so there's a big savings there.

Indeed! Thank you for reminding me!

There's been a lot of great feedback on my situation. I appreciate everyone's input.

I've marketed and sold multiple cars, trucks and boats over the years, and yes - it does take time and money to do it right. Maybe I'll try the Craigslist route initially.

I still haven't found the exact Wildcat I'm looking for. But if I did, maybe the trade option would be back on the table. One of those deals that I couldn't afford not to do...;)

GypsiesAtHeart2
Explorer
Explorer
You'll also only pay sales tax on the amount after your trade so there's a big savings there.
2014 Forest River Wildcat 293 REX
2012 GMC 3500 HD SRW CC LB Diesel

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
Dry hitch weight @ 1815 lbs. Is your F250 up to it ?

That's nothing if you ask me. I tow a 2015lb pin 5er with my 2012 GMC 2500, and while a few feet shorter it tows it great. The F250s tend to squat more than the other 3/4 tons so he may need some bags or timbrens.

The Wildcat is a nice looking trailer from what I have seen. Like said your going to take a hit either way but likely more anytime you trade-in. If it was me I would hang onto the TT and sell privately in the spring when more people are looking to buy. YOu won't regret moving to a 5er from the TT. I'll never go back.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just accept the fact and trade it in if the deal was somewhat acceptable on the new rig. I don't have the time nor do I really want to hassle with selling our old rig on our own. Hope it all works out for you and that you thoroughly enjoy your 5er.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dakota98 wrote:
wclement1248 wrote:
Dakota98, I missed the post where he asked if his truck would pull it. My 2014 F250 crew cab has a sticker that says the cargo weight is 2762. I assume his is about the same, so he should be ok.

Hopefully so,

Just seems to me that a 38' FW is lot for a F250. The power is there without problem.

OMG!!! OP wants to tow a 38' 5er with a 2014 6.7 F250 OMG!!!!

That unit while a little heaver dry than my 32' Copper Canyon, has a lower GVWR and lower Dry pin. so to the OP Size and Weight is not an issue.

It is a nice looking unit, enjoy the ride.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goukcats
Explorer
Explorer
kep5niner, My dealer also sells Wildcat. Recently while discussing the wide usage of Lippert frames throughout the industry, he stated that FR had started their own in-house frame shop. The Wildcat is the first FR product to get it. If you aren't already aware of this; it may be something to consider when looking at model years. He talked like they were already using the new frame on 2015 models. I don't know if that is good or bad but if there were frame warranty issues, you would only have to deal directly with FR. He also mentioned that Wildcat made a lot of changes to upgrade features for 2015. Another consideration is all remaining 2014's will be 2 yrs old in about 3 months; but that may also mean there are deals if you can find one.
Wayne & Sheryl
Plus Ollie & Sophie
(they don't know they're dogs)
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320

"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have carefully analyzed all the weights (FW GWR, Pin, GAWR, GCWR, payload, etc.) which is one of the reasons I chose the 327. Thanks again fellas!

You have done your homework so I sure wouldn't reply to the weight police comments/questions as their on the verge of hijacking yet another thread. Doing so just encourages them.

I've had three TCs one TT and three 5th wheel trailers. I sold each one and then made my deals for the next newer one. I also buy 2-3 year old units rather than new so I don't have lots invested in a particular unit.

Now if its a unit you gotta' have at any cost ....go for it. Good luck choosing.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
kep5niner wrote:
Great responses folks. I appreciate the feedback. The scenario is about what I figured, and I knew the transaction could not be accomplished without a loss.

Interestingly, I prefer the 2014 over the 2015 Wildcat 327CK, and there are still some new 2014s out there for a steal. I haven't stumbled upon any used 2014s yet, but I would consider it. The Wildcat has the features we're looking for at a reasonable cost.

I have carefully analyzed all the weights (FW GWR, Pin, GAWR, GCWR, payload, etc.) which is one of the reasons I chose the 327. Thanks again fellas!

I know that you've probably already heard this, but please don't use the dry weight as a barometer of ability to tow. That is probably about 85% of your true tow weight when you're packed to travel. You may be fine with your TV, but check the specs.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jandsa wrote:
Buying a new TT or a 5ver is like buying a new car and driving it off the lot...It is going to depreciate.

Think about buying a new car and looking to trade it in 6 months...same thing. You may not like the numbers but they are what they are.

Which isn't to say you shouldn't do it, but you shouldn't do it looking to come out even.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
wclement1248 wrote:
Dakota98, I missed the post where he asked if his truck would pull it. My 2014 F250 crew cab has a sticker that says the cargo weight is 2762. I assume his is about the same, so he should be ok.

Hopefully so,

Just seems to me that a 38' FW is lot for a F250. The power is there without problem.

With all the new 'light' trailers coming on the market, length really isn't that much of a barometer. It's really nothing to find 5ers 35-38' long with dry weights under 10,000lbs. Keystone Montanan High Countries are a good example.

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
Great responses folks. I appreciate the feedback. The scenario is about what I figured, and I knew the transaction could not be accomplished without a loss.

Interestingly, I prefer the 2014 over the 2015 Wildcat 327CK, and there are still some new 2014s out there for a steal. I haven't stumbled upon any used 2014s yet, but I would consider it. The Wildcat has the features we're looking for at a reasonable cost.

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
I was recently in the same situation as you are in. Our tt was a year old (new when purchased) and tried to sell our tt ourselves. We were selling at low NADA value and had an expensive hitch as an additional attraction.

To set the record straight, there was nothing wrong with the tt.....only had it out for a few trips. But our plans at had change and decided we really could use a bigger unit for longer vacations with retirement looming in the future. Plus, H preferred to tow a 5ver, as we had one years ago.

Since we were selling it ourselves, I got the impression that ppl thought we were desperate to sell and really needed the money. I never came across such tightwads in my life, trying to get us to sell for thousands lower than our selling price of which was already 30% off from we paid for the unit. I informed these people to try buying that unit new or a used one at a dealership and see what the price would be.

Anyway, we ended up buying a 5th wheel from the dealership where we bought the tt and traded the tt towards the 5ver. We put in an offer for the 5th wheel, which I was very surprised they accepted, BUT, the trade-in was NOT what we wanted....a couple of thousand dollars lower.

Buying a new TT or a 5ver is like buying a new car and driving it off the lot...It is going to depreciate.

Whether you sell your TT yourselves or trade-in, you are going to lose money. For us, trying to sell outright was NOT worth the aggravation. However, selling yourself and not having a trade-in, could give you more bargaining power off the price toward a 5th wheel.
Nevertheless, the dealership has their bottom line price.

Good luck!
From the Adirondacks
Him-USAF, Ret. & Her-Landscape Photographer
Cougar by Keystone 5th Wheel
Silverado 2500 Diesel