cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

day one with new montana; need furance help

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
Brought a brand new Montana 3711 home yesterday; its cold outside (20 degrees) so we had the furnace on. All was well in the world; until this afternoon I walked by and stuck my head inside and noticed no heat.

Its the domestic digital multi zone TSTAT; its lit and says FURN but no furnace. TSTAT set to 70 degrees; inside temp in the 40's. Powered everything down but still had power in the 5er. The disconnect seems to only kill the inverter. Removed leads from battery's still no joy.

The furnace doesn't spool up at all; its like it isn't getting any power. Checked the 12 volt fuse label furnace and its good. From the TSTAT I can tell the fan to run (the air moving one not the ignition fan in the furnace) and that works as expected.

Also checked the stove to see if it had lp; all good in the world.

Called the dealer; not much help at all; appoint set for Tuesday for the day old rig.

Anyone have any ideas in regards to the furnace? Is there something silly I'm missing with the TSTAT? The only thing I can think would be if the fuse was mislabeled and a different one is blown. Otherwise by killing power and restoring power it should have reset the board if the furnace ran into an air bubble in the lp line for example.

My intent is to get it lit so the wife can load out her new rig with the stuff out of the last one then let the dealer fight with it next week.
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950
30 REPLIES 30

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
You're speaking of a 2015 Montana with a Dometic thermostat. Do you have 2 AC units with heat pumps? IF so, if like our Mobile Suite there are 2 zones and the furnace will only work on zone 1. Just sounds coincidental that you might have same problem learning curve as Mobile Suite owners. If that would be the case dealer may not even be aware not that that should absolve him from caring. Just a thought. When we picked up our new Mobile Suite no one including the Rv personal or other Mobile Suite owners new how to use that Dometic thermostat to turn on furnace. I doubt there will be anything actually wrong. Good luck.

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
kakampers wrote:
That is exactly how our furnance was acting when the control board went out in December...

Same thing in my 5'ver - circuit board
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you read the instructions for the thermostat and play with it.
I had a similar problem with my second ac, it beginning to get hot here in south TX. I play with it until I found what I was doing wrong. These new thermostat are more complicated than what I care for. I think the same thing could happen setting up the furnace. MHO

jacksrbet
Explorer
Explorer
mine did the same thing. I had to pull the fuses and put it back in to reset the board , never had a problem again. hope it works for you.

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
Thermocoupler? I have the"domestic" too...wish the toilet was the domestic and not that dar thetgalaxy! Stupid thing don't hold water! Brand new unit...

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
That is exactly how our furnance was acting when the control board went out in December...
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Cannot believe the dealer is not at your site checking things out. He made money on the deal, and probably enough extras to help cover going out and helping with a brand new rig. I had a heater go out last year and found it to be the board on the heater. However; I think mine was a Suburban.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the owners manual, or can find it online, there is a very easy to use and effective troubleshooting section in the manual. You are an experienced RVer and know the 'usual' things to try, gas, battery, turn off the thermostat then back on, etc.

IF i owned that dealership and you purchased 3 RV's from me in ANY TIMEFRAME, I would have a tech at your trailer just as soon as I could get him there. You're a moneymaker, and keeping you happy (and buying more RV's) is exactly what I would want.

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
battery's are at full capacity; its been plugged in the entire time

the fan in the furnace isn't even firing at the start (at the pre-run to get the sail switch to engage, that isn't even happening). also have plenty of propane and the other lp appliances are running at full tilt

its like the furnace has had the 12 volt supply cut

yah I'm pretty unhappy with the dealer; this is the 3rd rig from the same place since 2011; all haven't been right from day one for various reasons

service gets it on Tuesday after which I'm sitting down with the owner to discuss how we move forward; I'm hyper sick of missed expectations (they've already tossed cash at me to get over the pathetic exterior wash they tried to pass off as complete)

arg
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
I have s suburban furnace and if the LP tank get low the furnace won't fire. It will try 2-3 times but no heat then I have to reset stat. LP furnace won't work but the stove and cooktop but runs will light. Check that dealer may have not fill LP tank very. Full.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Typical dealership. I bet there was no delay in taking your money. In the mean time, check that battery voltage as other's have suggested.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
First thing is to check the battery voltage. If you are not plugged in, you drained the battery, A furnace will suck down the batteries very fast.

Ken

He may very well be on to something if the batteries are not charged enough and it's not good enough power the fan won't blow enough to move the sail switch...if the sail sw doesn't --move the burner will not light so....make sure you have enough power going to the furnace in other words a good battery and things on that line.

On a side note doesn't sound like your dealer cares at all about you now that they have your money

sad to say if they really cared on your day old rig ---that you're not getting heat-- they would do something --but they already have your money:S
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
propane ok?
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing is to check the battery voltage. If you are not plugged in, you drained the battery, A furnace will suck down the batteries very fast.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned domestic thermostat, did you mean dometic? If dometic, you may notice two programs set to start at differant times, first thing you need to do is set the time. That should start the ball rolling, the furnace should start and run if all else is fine.