cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealer blew me off!! Now calling back.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
So I've had my eye on the 2015 Keystone Mountaineer since early this past summer. It is the 356TBF and it for sure has everything I need and also everything I want. Called this particular dealer back a month or so and talked briefly, he ran some numbers and called me back to say he couldn't be where I wanted to be. I told him to see how close he could get to my number and call me back........

So about a month and a half later he calls back ( today ) and asked if I was still interested in this fifth wheel. I told him I'd been busy, the season is over for me and I was in no hurry. I was at my sons basketball game and told him it wasn't a good time to talk so I'd call him tomorrow.

So when they call back and say we really want to move this unit before 2015 how much more can I push?? My 2006 Cardinal is still on pretty good shape but it's already 8 years old going on 9 and the value is gonna start to drop FAST the closer I get to 10 years.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
33 REPLIES 33

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Why all the suspense. You know what you are willing to pay, make your offer. If he says no, walk out, end of story. If he says yes buy it. If he says yes he made money and you are happy because you got it for what you wanted to pay. If he says no he can't make money and won't sell it.

What's the problem?
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

toymaker10
Explorer
Explorer
We were shopping for a small C about 2 months ago and saw a 2015 24' FR with one slide that we both liked at a large dealership with a good rep in our town. The list price was some 70 odd thousand dollars and was on sale for $63,990 I offered $60,000 out the door and it was excepted. If I could have taken the one he had in stock I could have saved another $1000. I needed about a month and a half and he didn't want to hold it in inventory so I put 10% downand ordered a new one. Just past 4 weeks so should expect delivery in about 2 or 3 more weeks. No haggling, He said make a decent offer I did and he went to his boss and it was excepted. So, I actually paid $54,000 for this MH and I think I did alright.

danrn
Explorer
Explorer
Justaguy wrote:
danrn wrote:
Everybody is different when it comes to buying something like an RV, or auto. I personally enjoy the process. I approach it with the attitude that I don't need it, I just want it. With that in mind I have no pressure to buy. When I bought my new truck a few months back, and with my resent 5ht wheel purchase, I shop within my state and the surrounding states. I provide this information to several dealers and had them work to provide the best deal. It has worked well for me. I got my truck at the price I asked for, and got my new 5th wheel at 40% off MSRP. It will take time and patience's on ones part to do all the researching and communicating with the different dealers. Also, at least for my 5th wheel purchase, I believe timing played a part in the good deal I got....end of the year and they want to move older stock.
Good luck, and try you have fun with your purchase.

True...buying an RV and trying to get warranty work done is different than when buying a car or truck. I wish it weren't so...but it is.

Very valid point. Especially when there are limited number of certain dealers. As an example, I just purchased a Redwood 5th wheel and there is only one dealer that I know of in Colorado; which is over 100 miles from my location. I did research their service department, but there jury is still out on that.

Justaguy
Explorer
Explorer
danrn wrote:
Everybody is different when it comes to buying something like an RV, or auto. I personally enjoy the process. I approach it with the attitude that I don't need it, I just want it. With that in mind I have no pressure to buy. When I bought my new truck a few months back, and with my resent 5ht wheel purchase, I shop within my state and the surrounding states. I provide this information to several dealers and had them work to provide the best deal. It has worked well for me. I got my truck at the price I asked for, and got my new 5th wheel at 40% off MSRP. It will take time and patience's on ones part to do all the researching and communicating with the different dealers. Also, at least for my 5th wheel purchase, I believe timing played a part in the good deal I got....end of the year and they want to move older stock.

True...buying an RV and trying to get warranty work done is different than when buying a car or truck. I wish it weren't so...but it is.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the longer the u nit sits on the dealers lot, the more the inventory interest he will pay, after the new units come out, the older ones loose value and then the local taxing authority will also tax inventory on hand an a certain date.

This why you will see dealers letting the inventory drop to lower levels at the end of the year and the first of the year.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:
abc40kids wrote:
richfaa wrote:
The Mountaineer will be no longer made by Keystone so that might be additional incentive for the dealer to sell it.

Where did that info come from, not saying your wrong just haven't heard that??

While Rich used future tense saying "the Mountaineer will no longer be made", the reality is they haven't been made for several months now. All of this was announced at the Montana Owners Club Rally held in Goshen in September. The Mountaineer has been combined into the "Montana". The old Montana is now the "Montana Legacy", and the old Big Sky (which was an option package added onto the old Montana) is now a completely separate line with a wider frame and many other differences.

The Keystone web site always late to reflect reality, but the key indicator is the floor plans for the Mountaineer are marked as "stock only" (i.e. the only ones available are on a dealer's lot somewhere).

Ok, thanks for the information, maybe that's got something to do with the dealer calling me back and saying they need to move it before the end of the year.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.

danrn
Explorer
Explorer

Justaguy
Explorer
Explorer
JMHO

Is the dealer honest and does he have a good service department? Does he have a good rep with locals?

If so...probably be a good idea to buy local and remember that warranty issues will be handled by this guy. You want a good relationship and that goes both ways. Don't be a bottom feeder. Offer him what you consider a fair price.

If the dealer is a slim-ball, likes to rip off his customers and his service manager needs to be sued, by all means, try to take him to the cleaners and get your warranty work done elsewhere.

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
abc40kids wrote:
richfaa wrote:
The Mountaineer will be no longer made by Keystone so that might be additional incentive for the dealer to sell it.

While Rich used future tense saying "the Mountaineer will no longer be made", the reality is they haven't been made for several months now. All of this was announced at the Montana Owners Club Rally held in Goshen in September. The Mountaineer has been combined into the "Montana". The old Montana is now the "Montana Legacy", and the old Big Sky (which was an option package added onto the old Montana) is now a completely separate line with a wider frame and many other differences.

The Keystone web site always late to reflect reality, but the key indicator is the floor plans for the Mountaineer are marked as "stock only" (i.e. the only ones available are on a dealer's lot somewhere).
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
richfaa wrote:

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the patience or the tolerance of the "haggle"
game that is commonplace.

Our version... find the rig you like, get their best out the door
price (in your case, separate deal on the trade). Make it clear your
intent to purchase. And, be not afraid to walk. If you have front loaded your
knowledge base by doing your homework you will know what you are willing
to pay/trade before you ever step on the lot. If you are
a suspicious type, don't reveal your number until you are sitting across
from the deal closer.

Has worked numerous times for us... and, both sides of the deal seemed
happy. The dealer is still in business...and we have a nice rig.

BTW.. went by the lot yesterday.... they are busting at the seams with units...
trades, 2014's, and lots of 2015's. Would seem a good time to find reasonable
sale prices.

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
65% of MSRP is a great deal that can happen at times.

65% off MSRP would be a dream deal, I don't see that happening any time.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
The salesmen knows he put you in the "driver's seat" on price when he called you back after so much time.

Do some research online and try to figure out what is the absolute cheapest you could buy that unit for nationwide. Once you get that figure I would offer him 5% or 10% less plus maybe a couple add-ons to boot. After that the only negotiating I would do would be to drop the add-ons.

The secret now with this guy, in my opinion, is not to draw out a long back and forth negotiation. Force him to either meet your terms quickly or sit on the unit through the off season and be stuck with it.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!