cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Determining kingpin weight?

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is going to be a ignorant question but...weight for it...LOL!! Seriously....if you weigh your 5th wheel at the front landing gear, will this give you a rough idea of the kingpin weight? I know this is all about geometry and leverage but since the kingpin is fairly close to the landing gear I thought it would be close or maybe a little lighter?
11 REPLIES 11

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
At a CAT scale with multiple scales:
http://learntorv.com/how-to-weigh-a-fifth-wheel-camper-at-cat-scales/

Once you have weigh slips, you can then use this calculator:
http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/FifthWheelCatScales

At a single-scale location:
http://learntorv.com/how-to-weigh-a-fifth-wheel-camper-on-a-single-scale/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
For scale weight information this reference has great charts. Starts in chapter #4 page #55.

Click Here!

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
While we are on the subject of weighing, someone mentioned an easy way to check your camper weight at a public scale, on your first weigh, weigh the truck and camper together. On your second pass (leaving the truck/camper as is) all you have to do is unlock the hitch and raise the landing gear until the hitch isnt contacting the plate anymore. I'm assuming until you can see daylight between them.

The second weigh will show a difference, and thats the camper weight?

I'll bet I'm missing something here.....

Ron W
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
If you really mean pin weight, the difference between the weight of the truck hooked and unhooked will be the pin weight. Hitch location has nothing to do with it, the pin is on the trailer and will be the same wherever you put it.. Weight on the rear axle is something else but for practical purposes, I would consider it the same.

YES...total weight of truck/trailer combo minus total weight of truck is pin weight of trailer

Pin weight distribution when hitched is total weight increase on both truck axles...which is affected by hitch placement in truck bed

Forward of, on or behind center line of rear axle.
With mu hitch 2" forward of center line....150# is added to front axle weight along with the added weight to rear axle
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
If you really mean pin weight, the difference between the weight of the truck hooked and unhooked will be the pin weight. Hitch location has nothing to do with it, the pin is on the trailer and will be the same wherever you put it.. Weight on the rear axle is something else but for practical purposes, I would consider it the same.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The weight on the jacks should be fairly close to pin weight, but a little heavier than the weight at the pin. If you visualize moving the jacks toward the rear five feet it is easy to see that the farther back they are the more weight on them. If the jacks were moved back to the center of the front to back weight, then most all the weight would be on the jacks. The more the overhang in the front of the jacks, the more the lever effect.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ahh..ok I'm getting it! That makes total sense. I'm thinking that 2 inches forward is not going to make much difference but that the rear axle weight loaded and then unloaded would be the difference and that would be your king pin weight. Great... thank you for the education!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually weight of trucks F/R axles with 5th wheel hitched MINUS weight of trucks F/R axles w/o 5th wheel will be the pin weight of 5th wheel

Depends on 5th wheel hitch placement in truck bed and how truck suspension transfers weight

My Front axle gains 150# and Rear axle gains 2980# for a total of 3130# pin weight
Hitch is 2" forward of rear axle center line (as per hitch mfg. installation instructions)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Easiest way it to weigh the truck 5er combo at each axle, the drop 5er and reweigh just the truck, difference between the two weights is king pin weight.

Actually the difference between the trucks rear axle weight is the weight of kingpin/pin/hitch. Just the difference between the 2 weights with and w/o 5er is weight of 5er/truck themselves.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is going to be a ignorant question but...weight for it...LOL!! Seriously....if you weigh your 5th wheel at the front landing gear, will this give you a rough idea of the kingpin weight? I know this is all about geometry and leverage but since the kingpin is fairly close to the landing gear I thought it would be close or maybe a little lighter?

The best determination of weight would be at the scales. However, as an estimate the landing gear's weight would be close to the pin weight.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easiest way it to weigh the truck 5er combo at each axle, the drop 5er and reweigh just the truck, difference between the two weights is king pin weight.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"