cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dining area

nomoney
Explorer
Explorer
I would like some opinions on a booth vs standing dining set-up. We now have a booth, but will be upgrading, and alot of the newer 5th wheels have the standing dining area, with chairs & table vs the booth type. The fact that the booth converts to a sleeping area is a given, but we've never used it, so that isn't necessarily a selling point for us. Just wanted to hear the pro's & cons of both options. Thanks!!
31 REPLIES 31

Only_True_Mosno
Explorer
Explorer
We had a table and 4 chairs...all it did was gather clutter. Trying to actually sit at the table was nearly impossible due to space. We have frequent visitors and not enough beds, so we decided to take the table and chairs out and replaced it with an additional futon. We now have an extra bed and an extra place for a couple people to sit. Just my two cents...
2018 Montana 3721RL

2018 Ford F350 Diesel

Life Comes Down to a Simple Choice...Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying...

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Had TTs with booth/s.

Space is/was limited then - store stuff under base.

Even with two kids then - they would prefer the o/head bunks,
so the booths were rarely -if ever- used for sleeping.

Fifth has plenty of storage - and for all the reasons mentioned, would never have a booth again.

Plus - as someone else mentioned, with a table and chairs you can completely reconfigure your floor plan if you desire.

Also, you can pull the table out from the wall.
(Mine's *not* anchored to the floor - it only moves if I want it to.)

The booth is there to stay - where the RV *Manufacturer* decided it should be.

But, if a booth works for you - that's great!..:C

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a booth and I hate it. Very uncomfortable to sit at with straight up seat back.
Wife does like the storage under the seat though.

boiseidaho
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both, and the table and chairs are now what I have. The
chairs are so much easier for this old boy to get in and out of. Father time has a way of wearing me down.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer free standing. Our choice.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personal choice, not one size fits all! We don't need to sleep six, so no need for a booth.

Table and chairs was the #2 must have for our current 5er, right behind the large kitchen, to cook great meals to enjoy while sitting at the table. ๐Ÿ™‚
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had booths in our first two fivers and a table/chairs now.

While the extra storage beneath the booth seats was nice, the flexibility and sitting comfort of the chairs wins hands down.

My back is too old for booths, even in restaurants, and you just can not haul part of a booth seat over to the living area or out under the awning if you need a place for one more person to sit.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have had both. Booth is more beneficial if space is limited. A booth can provide additional storage and sleeping space.
A table is more comfortable and a bit more versatile assuming you have the space to spare.
If space and efficiency is a priority advantage goes to the booth however if comfort is your priority advantage table!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer free standing. I hated the booth, had to move when the person sitting next to you got up and not comfortable.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
All of our past and present rigs have been with a booth. It has worked well for us for 50yrs. No complaints here.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the table and chairs side of this topic. Many reasons were already covered above but my main ones are to be able to adjust how close/far we are to the table. I have an extra chair or two for living room company if I need one and I can just remove the 4 chairs to easily vacuum under the table. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have the u-shaped dinette booth, and I have to say it is the one thing about my current TT that I absolutely hate. The back of the u-shaped is useless unless you are a small child, my 13 year old daughter who is slim has a hard time sliding in. I also feel like the u-shaped dinette overwhelms the living space of the TT. Again, just my opinion.
Just us
(Me, the honey, 3 kids, and furbaby)
Happy in North Dakota

2008 Ford F350 Supercrew V10
2014 Montana mountaineer 310RET
2006 Ford F150

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Our new 5er has free standing table on slide that closes to flush with island, thus no booth order is possible. Decided we'll move the table out an throw an air mattress on the floor for the grandkids. To do this we're ordering Oasis Concepts Folding Dining Table Model FT-2005X2 the 5er comes with folding chairs and replacing the 5er table with this folding one. It's $275 shipped free at Overstock.com. Guess I'll put the factory table in the attic or on craigslist.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first two fivers had booths and we were satisfied with that. The Titanium has table and chairs and we will never go back to a booth.

The flexibility more than makes up for the lost storage even after I had put hinged tops on the booth seats to access all of the hidden space.

We generally do not camp. We "travel by RV" and eat a good percentage of our meals in the trailer. Again, flexibility is the key word.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"