cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY water heater?

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever replaced the water heater in your fiver. DIY style. I've replaced a few in houses we've owned but never one in a camper. Is this something you would do yourself or would you take it to a dealer and let them do it? Thanks...
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
12 REPLIES 12

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
WHY are you looking at replacement?
Split tank? Or some other issue?

No "replacement issues" as of yet. Just gathering information for if and when the time comes. I took the old anode rod out to replace it and I stuck my finger in the hole and I could feel some kind of flaky stuff on the bottom of the tank. I was thinking rust but the rv dealer said its most likely flakes off the old rod. Also it's a little rusty around the outside of the hole the anode rod goes in. I bought a new rod and a "tank washer" to washout/flush the tank and clean it out a bit. Hopefully we won't have issues but you never know. Thanks for the replies!
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
If you're in the water heater replacement mode, take a look at the on-demand models. A little pricey on the buy-in side (~$1K), however they supposedly use less propane once installed.

Good luck with your install.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atwood 6 gallon for an Atwood 6 gallon (OR 10 for 10)

Same for Suburban 6 for 6 or 10 for 10

Atwood and Suburban use different size openings so swapping brands is more involved.

WHY are you looking at replacement?
Split tank? Or some other issue?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my 10 gallon in 5er.
funny , could not find much on you tube.
make sure to turn off power and gas.
take some pics of wiring.
turn off water pump, taped mine so no accident.
getting unit out was hard. had a lot of plumbers putty around front, also it pulled hard because of very tight fit. same with going back in, very tight.
do not pinch wire or gas connection
good luck
ordered mine from PPL,
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
I replace our Atwood electronic with an Atwood standing pilot. Everything lined up the same and it was easy.
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had mine out of my Keystone Outback 5th this fall. It was very easy. Mine had a leak around the nipple to tank connection where the element screws in on the back side. The weld to the aluminum tank had a pin hole causing it to leak. Welded it up, replaced the element and replaced. There is a very good You Tube video on how to do it. About a 4 hour job if you take your time and reseal correctly.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the one in the MH a few year's ago and the funny thing is, our friend is coming over tomorrow with his trailer, so we can replace his Atwood. I know my Suburban was relatively easy on the MH.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the one in Daughters travel trailer, easy but it had access under bed.
My Jayco 5er would be easy also ,just remove wall in pass thru storage and all is accessible.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Accessing the rear of the unit may be the biggest challenge. If you can do that, the rest will be easy.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Get the same brand you have now, and it's an easy replacement.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's just a minor piping job, no big deal. You want a RV water heater tho. Are you sure yours is bad and doesn't just need an element? You can get those at a hardware store.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d do mine,can,t be that hard,if you can do a house one ,you can figure this out,