cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Doing my homework - 30ft vs 37ft

jacqui583
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. DH and I currently camp in our popup about once a year for a week, but will both be retired in a couple of years and want to get a fifth wheel to do some traveling. I anticipate us using it for a one month trip and then occasional shorter trips annually. We did have a 30 foot fifth wheel many years ago. We currently have a 3/4 ton diesel for towing.

I am struggling with the floor plans. The floor plan I like the best is a 37 foot model, but I can't help but feel a little intimidated by that. To be honest it feels a little pretentious. I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around THAT much money sitting in the driveway depreciating lol. Am I the only one? I also worry about that being too long for state and provincial parks, where we tend to do all our camping.

I *could* do with a 30 foot model, but would not be as happy with the lack of counter space, and each shorter model means I am giving up a sleeping space for my mother who may or may not join us occasionally, and either the larger shower stall or the fireplace - both items I really want. However there is a substantial price difference to get all the amenities of the bigger trailer, including that beautiful counter space (and island) of the 37'er. Yet anything will be a step up from the popup.

We have settled on three brands at this point; Jayco, Cougar and Chaparral. Perhaps I need to look closer at some other brands.

I really wish we could take various features from different manufacturers and put them together into one perfect fifth wheel. Maybe I have answered my own question typing this out, but
I would love to hear anyone's insights. How the heck does anyone decide and settle on one unit?!

jac.
21 REPLIES 21

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 35 ft FW and I never think to downsize a little longer yes.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you plan to sit for long periods of time in just a few seasonal campgrounds, a 30 footer would be best for traveling. It's easier to handle and a good size to get into state, county, National and boondocking sites where a 37 would be limited. Save your money and enjoy the experience without the added worry of hauling so large a trailer around.

jacqui583
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. To those recommending a Grand Design, I haven't heard of those or seen them at the dealerships we have visited so far, but I just did a search and found a dealership that carries them not too far from us so we will have a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

Our tow vehicle is an '09 GMC Sierra 2500HD. We have looked up our hitch weight and towing capacity and the Jayco 30.5CKTS we are currently favouring is well within our limits.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
To OP. What year and make of 3/4T do you have? Some of your provinces look at GVWR as a legal limit. Chrs
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Grand Design 307MKS which is now the 320MKS, overall length is just shy of 33'. Mid profile and tows very nicely. We live in ours Nov-Apr and then an occasional outing or three during the summer months. Sometimes we think, longer would be nicer, but then realize what we have suits our needs. Good luck in your search.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
jacqui583 wrote:
We will keep looking but the Jayco 30.5CKTS is currently at the top of my list.
We looked at this one at an RV show as it's floorplan is very similar to our GD Reflection 303RLS. Do yourself a favor and Go into the 303RLS and compare fit and finish. Not knocking Jayco by any means - but it went to number 2 on my list after going into GD's Reflection series.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
That Jayco looks like a good plan to me, and I have the 2013 26.5, and get 13 mpg towing with my 3/4 ton truck.

jacqui583
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think we are really leaning towards a Jayco, as they seem to be very well built and we will be doing a lot of towing vs just staying parked.

I have found a model in their lighter line that has the identical layout in the kitchen/living area as the one I really like, with the only compromise being that it has the half round shower instead of the larger rectangle shower with seat. Being that we aren't living in it full time and that we don't yet have any mobility issues I don't think this is a deal breaker for us. A bonus is that it has the bedroom side tables with overhead wardrobes that I prefer to the ones with the bed in the slide-out. It is also three feet shorter and 1500lbs lighter, so we would have no problem pulling with the 3/4 ton diesel we currently own. We will keep looking but the Jayco 30.5CKTS is currently at the top of my list.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Find the floorplan that you like best. DON'T settle for "We can make it work" as you'll never be happy. OP mentioned they are retiring in a year or so hence their purchase, I'd like also to suggest heading down to the Hershy, PA RV show in Sept and look at the RV's there. Take a note on what brands you are interested in and if possible, call those brands up and see what models they will have at the show. Tho we have a Heartland Big Country, Grand Design gets a lot of nods. Look into other Heartland lines as well and small Cedar Creeks/Silverbacks. Couple of the biggest things to consider by many is access to the fridge/bathroom w/ slides in while on the road.

If OP does decide to go the Hershy show, both hubby & wife have separate notebooks/pads and write down each model they go in, likes/dislikes of each model without telling or showing the other what they wrote. When all done, THEN compare notes, make a spread sheet.

Also, if OP could state what year, make, gas or diesel. and gears of current truck we could help them w/ weight suggestions. If by chance this was already mentioned, sorry.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Decide on the floor plan you and wife like and go from there. Do bear in mind that after you decide which floor plan you really like it may require a real hard look at the 3/4 vs a ton truck. We had a 40 ft motor home dp but did not like the space after getting to our destination. We sold and went back to our first love a fiver. This is it for us at our age so we picked out the floor plan and went from there. No regrets.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
You may want to look a little more. Sometimes overlooked are K-Z, Heartland, Starcraft, and Winnebago.
Winne has a line called Voyage that they dont promote that much but here is that site.
https://winnebagoind.com/products/fifth-wheel/2016/voyage/floorplans
Good luck

Winnebago no longer makes the Voyage line. 2017 was the last year for the Voyage line. Starting with 2018, Winnebago has redesigned and re-branded to Minnie Plus and they have three 5th wheel floor plans.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Check out the Grand Design 303RLS It is 33 ft long and has a rear living floor plan with lots of space. We have a 2018 model and are really enjoying it. If you need more room in the front, the 337RLS is 38 ft, has an east/west facing bed and big closet in the front along with washer/dryer hookups. Grand Design is one of the few manufacturers that are factory rated for full time living.

Dittos on this. We have a friend with the 303RLS and they love it. The length is in the middle but it has an island, fireplace and a rear couch/bed. Could be a nice compromise. They pull it fine with a 3/4 ton diesel.

I understand your apprehension about going big. We are at 31 ft. and wouldn't want to go larger.

Doogie_in_Elk_G
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Grand Design 29RS. (actual outside length is 31'). It has an island and we love the layout. There is a hutch that gives more counter space. The in-law would need to sleep on the fold out sofa with not much privacy. But the Bathroom has access from the hall or the bedroom. Check this one out if you're looking at the other Grand Designs.
2011 Ford F450 4x4 Lariat
2018 Grand Design Reflection 29RS

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to look a little more. Sometimes overlooked are K-Z, Heartland, Starcraft, and Winnebago.
Winne has a line called Voyage that they dont promote that much but here is that site.
https://winnebagoind.com/products/fifth-wheel/2016/voyage/floorplans
Good luck