cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drain (built-in) generator tank

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know that has come up before but I can't find an answer.

I keep my tanks full to reduce condensation and rust. However, I haven't done much boondocking lately and the gas in the generator tank has been sitting there for 3 years. It has stabilizer in it and the generator runs fine - I'd just like to drain it and refill with fresh gas. I'll use the old stuff in my lawnmower.

I'm wondering about cutting the return line from the generator and installing a T with valve. To be honest, I don't know how long I'd have to run the genny to drain the tank (not sure what the return flow is).

Suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the newer gensets do have 2 lines now as one is the EVAC line, I think that's what its called, anyway its for putting fumes back to the tank as a lack of better way to describe it. I have asked a couple manufacturers about using an EFI genny and they've told me it could be done as there are 2 lines run on most RVs now.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I don't think the generator is EFI but there are two lines. It's such a long run to the tank I figured there's a lift pump. If not, how does the prime button work?

There is an anti-siphon valve in the filler neck.

If you have two lines I will say you have a EFI generator, are they the same size for both(?) if not the smaller of the two should be the return. Hope this helps some.

dedmiston
joebedford wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Dumb question: Do you have a fueling station? Just had to ask.

Yes, there is a fueling station. It has a 30 gallon tank and the generator has a 20 gallon tank.

Our old Warrior had one combined fuel tank with the pump and the gen running off the same source.

NZ sounds amazing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
dedmiston wrote:

Yes, there is a fueling station. It has a 30 gallon tank and the generator has a 20 gallon tank.

What's up with New Zealand? How long were you gone?
We decided to go much further south than usual this winter. In fact we got to 46 degrees south latitude at Bluff:It's a wonderful place. We had a great time. Two week self-driving LOTR themed tour then a week+ driving around the bottom of south island.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't think the generator is EFI but there are two lines. It's such a long run to the tank I figured there's a lift pump. If not, how does the prime button work?

There is an anti-siphon valve in the filler neck.

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
What he said.
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
Can you get a hose into the gas tank and just siphon the gas out?
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

dedmiston

What's up with New Zealand? How long were you gone?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I know that has come up before but I can't find an answer.

I keep my tanks full to reduce condensation and rust. However, I haven't done much boondocking lately and the gas in the generator tank has been sitting there for 3 years. It has stabilizer in it and the generator runs fine - I'd just like to drain it and refill with fresh gas. I'll use the old stuff in my lawnmower.

I'm wondering about cutting the return line from the generator and installing a T with valve. To be honest, I don't know how long I'd have to run the genny to drain the tank (not sure what the return flow is).

Suggestions?

Is your generator EFI if not I don't think you have a return line.