cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dual pane windows

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have dual pane windows have you had issues with moisture getting between them?

If you had single pane in your previous RV and dual pane now are they worth it?

Thanks
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs
46 REPLIES 46

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
As part of the discussion - dual pane windows are heavy. They add a lot of weight that counts against your carrying capacity.

What's "a lot"? They can't add more than 100 pounds could they? The glass is not very thick.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
As part of the discussion - dual pane windows are heavy. They add a lot of weight that counts against your carrying capacity.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Kotz - you haven't had your 5ver long enough to experience flexing while driving as previously mentioned...let us know in 2 or 3 years if they are still condensation free.

I always thought I wanted them on my next rig, but after reading this, maybe the $$ isn't worth it....I know I'd be mad if after a year of 2, they were fogging.....we have never had an issue with noise.

Currently, we use the "foil" insulation when experiencing temp extremes.

To each his own.....
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
1. No

2. Yes

X2
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

justme
Explorer
Explorer
johndeerefarmer wrote:
If you have dual pane windows have you had issues with moisture getting between them?

If you had single pane in your previous RV and dual pane now are they worth it?

Thanks

Mine fogged up after a year and I replaced them with standard panes. Haven't looked back since. They claim they offer better insulation, but my experience with both hot and cold did not proof that. In the heat keep the standard window shaded and in the cold keep them In the sun. Awning do a good job on a sunny hot day.
RV flex a lot during travel and the reason the seals let moisture in. To my knowledge they have not perfected the dual pane window to tolerate travel and flex of the RV.

kotz
Explorer
Explorer
I believe dual pane makes a huge difference in extreme temps.
Just picked up a new Arctic Fox 5th wheel to live in 3 days a week here in Gillette, Wyoming.
Just set it up this past Monday, and Friday morning it was -12 degrees. Have the furnace set at 60 degrees, running the fire place, and one electric radiator heater and it's a comfortable 69 degrees. Today it's 15 degrees, so far no fogging, and if you place your hands near the windows, you feel no cold radiating from the windows. I thinks the double panes, and having it skirted makes all the difference.

BTW, the unit came with the dual panes and a 6 point leveling system, and coming from a unit with single panes, and no leveling system, I wouldn't be without either.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
So any suggestions on where a guy could buy aftermarket duel pane for my Jayco?

Great question, I myself don't know but I'm sure there are people on here that do. Somebody MUST sell them, heck there are venders selling everything else, why not replacement windows? :B

Dan

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
So any suggestions on where a guy could buy aftermarket duel pane for my Jayco?
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
That is kind of funny! I'm 6'4" and the reason I don't want a king size bed is because it takes up too much room in an already small RV. I guess I'm wrong about the windows and leveling system. Didn't meant to stir things up.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
bertschb wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Kind of applies to anything, so not really relevant.

I disagree. I was only referring to dual pane windows and auto leveling systems. There were a couple options that I could have ordered with my 5th wheel that I wouldn't want if they were free (e.g. king size bed). I'd be very surprised if somebody had ordered dual pane windows or an auto leveling system and wish they wouldn't have - and that's my point.

Amazing how things are from your perspective. From mine, dual pane windows aren't for everyone because they are expensive to replace out of warranty and can cause fogging, nor is auto leveling because it can leak or fail in the electronics and also expensive to repair, but a king bed, cmon, who woudn't want that if it was free ๐Ÿ™‚

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered them to cut down on condensation. Noise reduction is just an added bonus.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Kind of applies to anything, so not really relevant.

I disagree. I was only referring to dual pane windows and auto leveling systems. There were a couple options that I could have ordered with my 5th wheel that I wouldn't want if they were free (e.g. king size bed). I'd be very surprised if somebody had ordered dual pane windows or an auto leveling system and wish they wouldn't have - and that's my point.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
have had two 5th wheels with single pane windows. We do not stay in extremely hot or extremely cold weather so heating and cooling is not a issue. Excessive noise has not been a issue. IMO they are not worth the $$ however personal choice.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
bertschb wrote:
I think this topic is like auto leveling systems. Those that have them would never be without. Those that don't have them say they don't need/want them. But, if they were free, I suspect just about everybody would check the box when ordering.
Kind of applies to anything, so not really relevant. The OP understands they are not free, so he is asking for opinions on whether they are worth it, assuming he means the cost.

I think folks have been more than honest and subjective in their responses.