cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric brake magnet

rowdybuckster
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any way to test to see if the magnets are good. I am in the process of replacing my grease seals, an now would be a good time to find out about these magnets. Thanks for your input.
7 REPLIES 7

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
If I were going to do the 'stick test', I'd use a very large wrench, be bigger the better. See here for more info: Brake Magnet test

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
First do a resistance test. then, to do it right, you have to expose the magnets and inspect thier wear indicators. There are dimples on the face of the magnet and when they are worn away, it's time to replace them.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
Sticking screwdrivers and a moving compass is a good way to verify some brake magnet activity. Is there a way to measure how much?

Has anyone ever checked the internal resistance of a brake magnet? Any idea what a good reading would be?

As I recall, about 3 amps per magnet at 12 volts is normal. But actual brake force also depends on surface flatness of the magnet and the drum.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sticking screwdrivers and a moving compass is a good way to verify some brake magnet activity. Is there a way to measure how much?

Has anyone ever checked the internal resistance of a brake magnet? Any idea what a good reading would be?

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
Engage the brakes and see if a screw driver sticks to it.

Nice Call!

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Engage the brakes and see if a screw driver sticks to it.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone hit the brakes while you hold a compass in front of the magnet.