cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Enclosed Gas Bottles

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
My FW has 2 20 gallon propane tanks in an enclosed area, there are 2 3" vents down low on the door. With the valves open I can smell gas whenever I open the door. Never having had enclosed tanks before, is this normal or should I have the area tested for leaks. This is not a new thing, it's been like this, probably since I got the trailer in 2014.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
15 REPLIES 15

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Padlin wrote:
Soaked everything down with soapy water, no bubbles as far as I can see. Shutoff one of the bottles, will see if it clears up. Can't see the back side of the valve.

I have used Windex in the past, it will bubble nicely and comes in a convenient spray bottle
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Soaked everything down with soapy water, no bubbles as far as I can see. Shutoff one of the bottles, will see if it clears up. Can't see the back side of the valve.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
Check at the vent port of your regulator if all else fails. Although these regulators will normally vent a TINY amount of gas, if it's that strong and smells strongest around the vent port, chances are the diaphragm in the regulator has split. They're relatively inexpensive to replace. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Rusty

LP Regulators do NOT vent ANY propane. If ANY propane is detected at either vent then diaphragm is leaking.
Vents (small pin hole on 1st stage and larger screened one on 2nd stage) are on atmospheric side of diaphragms to vent air in/out as diaphragm moves to control propane pressure.

Two completely separate sides unless leaking.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Do you have one of the little red regulator valves just off one of the propane tanks? Those are notorious for developing leaks.

Other then the green/red indicator on the auto switcher, no.

Will try the soapy water test. thanks all.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Padlin wrote:
My FW has 2 20 gallon propane tanks in an enclosed area, there are 2 3" vents down low on the door. With the valves open I can smell gas whenever I open the door. Never having had enclosed tanks before, is this normal or should I have the area tested for leaks. This is not a new thing, it's been like this, probably since I got the trailer in 2014.

I'm surprised that your FW even has a =floor= in the propane compartment. Mine does not and most of the newer ones I'm looking at do not either.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
We had one bottle that I thought was leaking but could never find a leak. It kept smelling like there was one. Finally I noted that my glove smelled like propane.

When the bleeder valve is open, you will get spray when full. The spray hit the handle, and apparently left enough of the odorant on it that the handle itself smelled like propane. It took a LONG time to wear off.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
filrupmark wrote:
If you have a small leak at a pipe thread connection don't use regular white Teflon tape. It will leak. They sell yellow Teflon tape made for LPG . We had issues with forklifts leaking LPG at work . Finally we learned about the special tape for LPG . No more smell or leaks.

X2
Carry a roll of the Yellow Teflon tape in my RV tool box, bought when I installed my shocks and needed to move the gas line over about 6".

You can clearly see the tape in this picture.

dedmiston
I would disconnect and reconnect everything just to try to re-seat the connections and see if that fixes it.

Also try shutting off one bottle at a time to see if you can isolate which one is the culprit.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a small leak at a pipe thread connection don't use regular white Teflon tape. It will leak. They sell yellow Teflon tape made for LPG . We had issues with forklifts leaking LPG at work . Finally we learned about the special tape for LPG . No more smell or leaks.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

kampinguru
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Had the same issue with mine last summer. Replaced the original pigtails (10 years old) and the regulator (also 10 years old) and no more smell.
2000 F-250 S/B 4X4
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
Pullrite Superglide 16K

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Check at the vent port of your regulator if all else fails. Although these regulators will normally vent a TINY amount of gas, if it's that strong and smells strongest around the vent port, chances are the diaphragm in the regulator has split. They're relatively inexpensive to replace. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have one of the little red regulator valves just off one of the propane tanks? Those are notorious for developing leaks.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
GASMAN6674 wrote:
You have a leak.
Mix up some soapy water and paint/spray all the connections and look for the bubbles to grow. Then repair as required.
If you don't feel comfortable with that take to your local LP gas supplier and ask them to check it. But i would call first to make sure they can and are willing to do it.
Good Luck

X2

Could be as simple loose connection of a leaking fitting.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gasman has it right. No way should you be smelling any gas unless you've just changed the bottles.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"