cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ERS for FW's

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Time to renew my Emergency Roadside Service and the question came up while talking about it as to how does a tow service tow your FW if your TV breaks down. Has anyone run into such? I'm new to FW's.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
11 REPLIES 11

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never mind.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
A few years ago we had a spring to break on the fifth-wheel in Dalhart, Texas. The pickup was completely operative but the trailer could not "roll."

Good Sam Roadside Service arranged for a truck to come up from Amarillo about 80 miles away (as I recall.) This was a "low boy" trailer and the driver pulled the fifth-wheel (34') onto his trailer. He had to take back roads into Amarillo because there were overpasses which were too low on the main highway through Dumas into Amarillo.

It did take most of the day, but the tow itself was handled extremely well. Our trailer was taken to a very large truck facility which was able to make repair/replacement and get us back on the road the next day. We were able to drive the pickup to a motel.

On a different occasion we were about 45 miles west of West Monroe, Louisiana when we had a spring to break (please don't ask that question!:R) This time a truck was sent out from West Monroe without a trailer and the driver was able to make some temporary repairs so we could follow him back to the large truck facility where he worked. Again, it took many hours, but the tow was handled well.

Both these incidents were handled by Good Sam Roadside service. I believe they are better prepared to know what it might take with a fifth-wheel than some other services.

Hope this helps. BTW, we have replaced our springs with those of much heavier rating.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Last Oct.I had an after market torque convertor shell out on my truck 25 miles west of Glendive,MT. on Mt 200. They sent a roll back for the truck and another pickup with fifth wheel hitch for the fiver. I have Good Sam ERS. The repair shop pulled fiver to a campground for us and pulled trans to see what was wrong. The repair shop even loaned us a vehicle to get around with for a day.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
Last Labor Day weekend I had Good Sam tow service tow my truck and the fiver not once but twice! They sent a rollback for the truck and it was actually the guys wife with a flat bed to tow the 5er. Took us to one campground which didn't work out so they then towed us to another and stayed till we got all setup. Truck broke down again the next day and they towed us again. Good Sam's earned my business that weekend. LOL

The local tow operator contracted to/with GS earned the business via your Motor Club (GS).

He -and she- may be the same folks that would have earned your business via CN, Allstate, AAA, etc.

Point is: the quality/quantity, proper equipment, promptness of service (etc) you received - is due to the tow operator who provided the service to you - via his contract with the Motor Club/s - *not* the Motor Club itself.

~

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last Labor Day weekend I had Good Sam tow service tow my truck and the fiver not once but twice! They sent a rollback for the truck and it was actually the guys wife with a flat bed to tow the 5er. Took us to one campground which didn't work out so they then towed us to another and stayed till we got all setup. Truck broke down again the next day and they towed us again. Good Sam's earned my business that weekend. LOL
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, then it's possible. Thanks
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
They sent a roll back tow truck to take my truck to a local dealer. And they sent a pickup with 5th wheel hitch for the trailer.

Same here.

I lost a rear wheel off the truck while towing at 55mph. No way to tow both vehicles attached, so they (Coach Net's contract service provider) sent two vehicles just as BB_TX described.
2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS (trade in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a blown intake hose on my truck, Coachnet towed truck and 5ver, both to a repair shop.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I had a broken fuel line on my truck while towing the 5er. They sent a tow truck capable of towing both without unhitching. Towed me right to the mechanic where there was room to park the whole rig for the night. Had a good night's sleep, unhitched in the morning and got the fuel line repaired.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

webhannet
Explorer
Explorer
THey usually send someone capable of handling your specific problem - much better than the others!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I had a break down with my pickup once before I got ERS. Got lucky and located a service provider equipped to handle it. They sent a roll back tow truck to take my truck to a local dealer. And they sent a pickup with 5th wheel hitch for the trailer. DW and grandkids rode in tow truck to dealer. I rode in other truck as he towed my trailer to local KOA, waited while I set up, then took me to the dealer.

Signed up with Coach-net when I got home.