cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel hitch for F350 with truch camper suspension

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
After owning a truck camper for a number of years, were are changing over to a smaller fifth wheel tow hauler. Will be getting a 2009 KZ Sportsman 29P, and currently drive a '09 F350 PSD with the optional truck camper package and air bags. Would like to buy the hitch yet this year, but before doing so, have a question in regards to the fifth wheel hitch height.

With the Lance 915 truck camper on the truck, the suspension does not even cause the override spring to come in contact with the frame. The gap between the spring and the truck is usually about 1", with the minimum amount of air in the bags.

Am questioning whether there will be any difficulty matching-up a fifth wheel hitch to my truck, which because of the suspension, sits rather high when unloaded.

The TW on the camper will be around 1700#, while its GVW will be about 7200#. Both of these figures are dry, and the gross is closer to 10,000#.

Has anyone ran into a situation like this, or can someone provide me with some advice?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for your responses and advice. They were quite useful, and there is now a better understanding on my end as to how things are supposed to work and look with a fiver.

Am having the unit delivered tomorrow, and will place both it and my truck on a level surface with a ton of pellets in the long bed. This should give me an idea as how things might match up.

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
My Dodge dually is also used to haul our heavy Lance 1130 truck camper.I do not have any hitch height problems at all. The Lance will load it down to touch the overloads.

I use 2" blocks to space the overload bumpers to engage the overload springs sooner with the Lance on the truck ( sits level /handles great ) Either way with or without the spacers there is no hitch height problems on my set up.

I don't use the spacer blocks when towing the 5er,the ride is much smoother without the blocks and the overloads are "not" engaged with the 5er pin weight on the truck.

My truck unloaded sits considerable higher in the back like yours. I use a Pullrite Superglide hitch from my Dodge short box daily driver that pivots side to side and front to back.

There are several made in the USA hitches available that will do a good job for you. Good luck with your new hitch choice and 5er.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F350 4X4 dually 2014 with camper option, and off road option. Had a B&W with the pucks installed and pull a 2011 Cameo. Everything is perfect. Camper is level, and have exact clearance between bedrail and trailer. I would think you would be fine. I you can't make anymore adjustments guess you can flip your trailer axles.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fjrjohnny wrote:
After owning a truck camper for a number of years, were are changing over to a smaller fifth wheel tow hauler. Will be getting a 2009 KZ Sportsman 29P, and currently drive a '09 F350 PSD with the optional truck camper package and air bags. Would like to buy the hitch yet this year, but before doing so, have a question in regards to the fifth wheel hitch height.

With the Lance 915 truck camper on the truck, the suspension does not even cause the override spring to come in contact with the frame. The gap between the spring and the truck is usually about 1", with the minimum amount of air in the bags.

Am questioning whether there will be any difficulty matching-up a fifth wheel hitch to my truck, which because of the suspension, sits rather high when unloaded.

The TW on the camper will be around 1700#, while its GVW will be about 7200#. Both of these figures are dry, and the gross is closer to 10,000#.

Has anyone ran into a situation like this, or can someone provide me with some advice?

Thanks

Since I'm a B&W "fanboy", according to some, I'll recommend any of the B&W Companion hitches. FWIW, I have mine set as high and as far forward as it will go. I do tow 2-3" nose-high and have not had any issues doing so. I run about 8" of bed clearance and need nearly all of it to get into my usual boondock camping site. I also can not hit my truck when turning either direction with my very square-front FW, while going forward. If you have a SWB truck, a slider may be preferable; if LWB, then a slider isn't needed.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
fjrjohnny,

You might want to look on-line at the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection (there are some YouTube videos that show it in action, as well). We chose it because of the weight savings over a conventional hitch (and it has a 16K capacity), but because of its design, it articulates in all directions and eliminates chucking. The height of the hitch is adjustable up and down and you can install the hitch to put the pivot point either slightly behind or slightly in front of the rear axle of the truck. There are versions that mount either on a turnover ball or standard bed rails. You'll find some bad-mouthing of the Andersen system on the internet - but I've seen none from people who actually own and use one (which includes me).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
fjrjohnny wrote:
Thanks Rusty, will make sure to stay between that 6-8" range. Am assuming that this is a rather light, or lighter fiver. Would you still recommend a hitch that flexs both ways, and what carrying capacity would you go with (ie....15k etc.)?

Yes, I'd certainly recommend a double pivot (fore/aft and side-to-side) hitch. You're probably not going to find one worth having rated for any less than 16K lbs.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone. Would love to continue this discuss now, but am heading out to work. Will check in later. Much appreciated!

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
I have F350 and have my B&W hitch in the lowest position and the pin on the 5er at the highest position which gives me about 5 1/2 clearance on the bed rails. The axles are flipped already on the 5er and I'm still less than 1 inch high in the front. Yes it can be problem and only way you going know is hook the 5er up and see where you are, there is no generic answer to your question.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Rusty, will make sure to stay between that 6-8" range. Am assuming that this is a rather light, or lighter fiver. Would you still recommend a hitch that flexs both ways, and what carrying capacity would you go with (ie....15k etc.)?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With 2,000 lbs. of pellets loaded, would be an ideal time to measure from ground to bed height, and ground to bed rail height (should be about 20"s more).

Now you just need to park trailer level, then measure to bottom of the over hang.

Many hitches are adjustable. I know the B&W Patriot is adjustable up/down, and ahead/back. It is one of the best hitches for the money. Take a look at e-trailer, or tweety's.

Jerry

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
fjrjohnny wrote:
We are due to pick up a ton of pellets for our stove, and suppose that could give me an idea of where it might sit. Some fifth wheel hitches are listed as being shorter that others as well.

The limitation on how low you can go in adjusting the hitch or the pin box is the 5th wheel overhang to top of bed rail clearance. A good rule of thumb is 6" minimum, 8" preferred. Yes, you can run with less, but the chances of 5th wheel to bed rail contact when entering sloped driveways, crossing ditches, etc. goes up proportionately.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your reply Don. My main concern was that with the 2k TW on the truck, that it may still be too high even with the hitch set at it lowest setting. This might cause the front of the fiver to be too high?

We are due to pick up a ton of pellets for our stove, and suppose that could give me an idea of where it might sit. Some fifth wheel hitches are listed as being shorter that others as well.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
10K fiver is going to place approx 2000 pounds directly over your rear axle. Want to get a good feel for ride height? Place 2000 pounds of something in the truck bed. Otherwise, buy your favorite hitch brand and go. Most hitches and fiver pins have height adjustments so you can level your trailer out. Some have multiple holes in the spring hangers for more adjustments.