Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel Shopping Advice

S_B123
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all.

Been a while since I posted anything here. Just looking for some input regarding the purchase of a new (and first) fifth wheel. Currently we are looking very seriously at a Grand Design Reflection 337RLS and a Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK. We tow with a Silverado 2500HD (4.10) rear.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.
29 REPLIES 29

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
S&B123 wrote:
Hey all.

Been a while since I posted anything here. Just looking for some input regarding the purchase of a new (and first) fifth wheel. Currently we are looking very seriously at a Grand Design Reflection 337RLS and a Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK. We tow with a Silverado 2500HD (4.10) rear.

Thanks.

Those brands have a good reputation with quality, and customer service.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
S&B123 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
GO out to your truck
Open drivers door and look on door jam
Tire Data Sticker----Yellow with have cargo carrying capacity

PAYLOAD.

Also note the info.........All Occupants and cargo must not exceed XXXX lbs.

PAYLOAD.

Both of the 5vrs you are interested in have DRY pin weight of 2000# which means when they are loaded up camp ready the pin weight will be closer to 2800#

How much PAYLOAD is listed on that Yellow Sticker????

Got enough for that amount of WET pin weight after subtracting the weight of ALL occupants/cargo (stuff inside cab/hitch in bed)???

Thanks very much!!! Shows 2910#. Was able to find out that includes one 150lb driver and all fluids to full per GM.

Another number to look at closely is the rear GAWR.

Actual rear axle weight, plus hitch and things in the bed, plus pin weight needs to equal an amount less the rear GAWR.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

S_B123
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
GO out to your truck

PAYLOAD.

PAYLOAD.

Both of the 5vrs you are interested in have DRY pin weight of 2000# which means when they are loaded up camp ready the pin weight will be closer to 2800#

Got enough for that amount of WET pin weight after subtracting the weight of ALL occupants/cargo (stuff inside cab/hitch in bed)???

Thanks very much!!!

S_B123
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
We just got back from a week in Holmes County, Ohio and saw way to many 2500 trucks with 15K+ gvw 5th wheels in the campgrounds we were in. So it must be ok to pull that heavy a 5th with a 2500 series truck. But I wont.

Just curious John, what is your pin weight on the Montana?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GO out to your truck

PAYLOAD.

PAYLOAD.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
S&B123 wrote:
Hey all.

Thanks.

Even with a 2016 2500HD, IMO you're over your truck's payload with either of these trailers.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the proud owner of a F250 diesel with airbags and the heaviest suspension available. I never realized what a bastard truck a 3/4 ton truck is. Most of the diesels have plenty of power to tow heavy loads, but they don't have the capability to deal with kingpin weights.

My Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel trailer weighs 11,092 lbs. dry, and I have a kingpin weight of just over 2K. My 3/4 ton diesel handles it, but it's about all I can handle.

I always think that a gas engine truck comparable to mine should hold off towing 10K. Sure, your terrain is flat for the most part. But the trailers you're looking at weigh too much for your gas engine.

If you're going to be towing with your truck, you might consider Grand Design's lighter fifth wheel trailers than the 337. Same goes with the Cedar Creek--too heavy.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
We just got back from a week in Holmes County, Ohio and saw way to many 2500 trucks with 15K+ gvw 5th wheels in the campgrounds we were in. So it must be ok to pull that heavy a 5th with a 2500 series truck. But I wont.

That's my back yard! Hope you enjoyed it.

When I bought our fiver I thought a 2000 lb pin weight meant I should buy a one ton and I wanted stability so I bought a dually. I really think I bought too much truck. 3/4 are everywhere around here.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I won't get into the numbers but you may want to check your payload to ensure your 2500-3/4 ton has sufficient payload capacity.
Beware Grand Design has been recently purchased and is no longer a stand alone company.
Grand Design is a relative new comer vs. Cedar Creek an old school brand.
Both brands you are looking at are decent with many loyal satisfied buyers.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away from Lippert frames...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Reflection 337. I know you won't be disappointed. We also considered the Cedar Creek.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both will be over capacity for a 6.0L gas motor 2500 HD truck. Since dry weights dont offer a true indication of weights loaded to travel consider basing your calculations on the trailers gross weight.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Where you gonna be traveling? Traveling across ne Ohio and western Ohio with little hills is no big deal. I have a 10000 lb fifth wheel and a v10 f350. The big hills of se Ohio and heading down south mean letting engine rev. Not big deal just so you know. If pin weight drops your back end more than you like air bags are reasonable.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both at 14K are going to be right at the upper limit of you truck. Will be slow in the mountains. If you are willing to take your time and rev the engine in lower gears it will work according to GM.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021