cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel slider hitch options

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is a 2001 F350 crewcab with a 6'9" bed. I thought my mind was made up on a Pullrite superslide, Now after talking to a few people I'm thinking it might be to heavy? I'm already half boinic with 2 fake hips, fake knee, and back problems. So I'm going to need a hitch that is a little easier to take in and out when I'm not using it. I also have been told the Pullrite can be tough to hook up if your not completely level?
So now I'm leaning towards a manual slider hitch which I'm guessing is much lighter in weight and might be easier to hook and unhook? I also would like to know how often you guys actually use the manual slider? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Kevin
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW
67 REPLIES 67

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
laknox wrote:

One of the first things I plan on doing when I get a new FW is to take it to a nice, level dirt lot and make a few 360 degree turns, with an observer walking beside me. I want to find out =exactly= that my clearances are. Either way, if my current, very square-front FW won't hit going forward, I figure the newer ones, with the cut-away corners won't, as well.

Lyle

Don't overlook the fact that going forward a long trailer will hit that cab easier than a short trailer which follows closer in the trucks pathway/wheel ruts. Chris

Nah... **** near impossible to catch a cab while going forward. Trucks don't turn sharp enough. 99.999% of cab collisions occur when backing.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gooseneck balls are 2 5/16"!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
If that is a 3" ball I think more like 5" offset.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
RangerEZ wrote:
Kevin O. wrote:
After reading OMEXTREME post about him blowing out his back window and denting the cab while using the Andersen. I have changed my mind. If I had a long bed I would give the Andersen a try but I'm not going to take any chances.

Kevin

Couple things to consider. The Andersen may still be a good solution.

#1) He did not have the Andersen set to its rearmost setting.

#2) He has a newer Ram. They have different clearance issues than you are likely to have in your truck.

We have a standard length bed (6'6"), and am leaning toward getting an Andersen hitch when we upgrade from a TT to a 5th wheel. I would get the gooseneck mount style so when the Andersen hitch is removed I will have a completely clean bed.

If needed, I will use a gooseneck extender to further move the hitch away from the truck cab. There are a handful of these on the market, the one pictured is a B&W brand and I believe it moves the gooseneck back 4". There is a Draw-Tite brand one that extends the gooseneck rearward by 5".

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:

One of the first things I plan on doing when I get a new FW is to take it to a nice, level dirt lot and make a few 360 degree turns, with an observer walking beside me. I want to find out =exactly= that my clearances are. Either way, if my current, very square-front FW won't hit going forward, I figure the newer ones, with the cut-away corners won't, as well.

Lyle

Don't overlook the fact that going forward a long trailer will hit that cab easier than a short trailer which follows closer in the trucks pathway/wheel ruts. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

RangerEZ
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
After reading OMEXTREME post about him blowing out his back window and denting the cab while using the Andersen. I have changed my mind. If I had a long bed I would give the Andersen a try but I'm not going to take any chances.

Kevin

Couple things to consider. The Andersen may still be a good solution.

#1) He did not have the Andersen set to its rearmost setting.

#2) He has a newer Ram. They have different clearance issues than you are likely to have in your truck.
GMC 2500 HD Duramax
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited & 2015 Brute Force 300

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RustyJC wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
For many it is plenty, but there are going to be cases where certain TV/5er combos will still hit the cab.

....and, unfortunately for the latter, they won't know which situation they fall into until it's too late.

Rusty

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
For many it is plenty, but there are going to be cases where certain TV/5er combos will still hit the cab.

....and, unfortunately for the latter, they won't know which situation they fall into until it's too late.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Andersen is pretty clear that their hitch is NOT a replacement for a slider which I would agree with. It is what I would call an "inbetweener" of a standard non-slider and a slider. For many it is plenty, but there are going to be cases where certain TV/5er combos will still hit the cab.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Explorer II
Explorer II
I was feeling confident on my decision to replace the heavy SuperGlide with the Reese manual slide until I saw that. I'm starting to think shaving off 50lbs is not worth it.
I do like the way the Reese rides but I may drop the SG back in before rolling out Wed morning.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, a few situations away from $2,800.00 worth of repairs. The wrong caster, the wrong bump, the wrong road.

For my experience, Mr Murphy follows me like the plague. The only thing I can do to keep him at bay is to plan.

For my future fiver and short bed truck it will be an Auto slider by Pullrite or Hitchhiker.

My luck....being what it is...when I need to slide a manual hitch back it will be too late.

Thanks! Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 40'11" length of the trailer was in play also.

I thought about an auto slide, however not beginning able to hitch up at an angle moved me to a manual slider along with the high cost of an auto slider.

Chris

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerem0621 wrote:
Kevin O. wrote:
After reading OMEXTREME post about him blowing out his back window and denting the cab while using the Andersen. I have changed my mind. If I had a long bed I would give the Andersen a try but I'm not going to take any chances. So I'm going with the Pullrite Superglide and deal with the weight. I will do like the others and install a hoist in the garage to lift and lower it out of the truck and place it on a dolly when I'm not using it....

Kevin

That post made me think the same thing. When we buy a fiver the hitch will be a Pullrite superglide...just not worth the chance of beating up the truck and camper.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

That situation involved a lot more that just an Andersen hitch. The front cap of the fifth wheel and the extension distance of the trailer pin box also have to be considered. As I have stated in a number of posts, with my trailer, I could not do what is described.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kevin O. wrote:
After reading OMEXTREME post about him blowing out his back window and denting the cab while using the Andersen. I have changed my mind. If I had a long bed I would give the Andersen a try but I'm not going to take any chances. So I'm going with the Pullrite Superglide and deal with the weight. I will do like the others and install a hoist in the garage to lift and lower it out of the truck and place it on a dolly when I'm not using it....

Kevin

That post made me think the same thing. When we buy a fiver the hitch will be a Pullrite superglide...just not worth the chance of beating up the truck and camper.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer

Kevin
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW