cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding usable camp sites

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm currently pulling a 34' fifth wheel and really don't worry about finding a site that will work. With that said, in the future I need to switch to a trailer that is more handicapped friendly for my DW. Looking at getting a TT toy hauler, probably 34' box, overall 38'. So in order to use the ramp for a wheelchair I need a reasonably level site that is 50' long. My question is how difficult is it to find such sites? Especially in federal and state parks? In commercial CGs I guess I will be limited to pull thru sites and maybe needed longer power/sewer lines. All inputs appreciated.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos
20 REPLIES 20

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ORbiker wrote:
Long enough is one problem.

The ramp is another. It's too steep to pull a wheel chair up.

Maybe a WORK AND PLAY trailer would work. Open floor plan and a bit lower.

My DW only weighs 100 lbs and if I can't push her up a ramp and/or a power chair won't work, I may look at using a 12v winch. Adding a wider door and wheelchair lift is over $10k.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
kerrlakeroo wrote:

Another side entry and this one has the bathroom at the garage wall to simplify enlarging the bath if needed
Palomino Puma unleashed 30thss

Thank you for your assistance. Looks like the 30thss floorplan would not work as enlarging the bathroom would end up blocking the ramp. Best candidate I've found so far is either a Puma 351thss fiver or a Wolf Pack 25pack12 Trailer. Hope to look at each in person tomorrow and Tuesday.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Long enough is one problem.

The ramp is another. It's too steep to pull a wheel chair up.

Maybe a WORK AND PLAY trailer would work. Open floor plan and a bit lower.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I've noticed that Corp of Engineer campgrounds usually have very nice large wheelchair-accessible sites."

When you can find an Army engineer they will do a bang up job..corp AND combat!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry , your original post did not say you were looking for wheelchair accessable, guess I was hoping you only needed access to the unit overall. I thought you were concerned with the overall length issues, and I think they may still be more workable with the side entry ramp, I'll look a little more. Hopefully I can spot something.
Another side entry and this one has the bathroom at the garage wall to simplify enlarging the bath if needed
Palomino Puma unleashed 30thss

Y-Guy
Since I don't live in TX I don't feel I can give you a good assessment for CGs in your area. In OR/WA you would have a problem with many sites needing a clear 52' zone. Many site will show the length but if you can find websites that look at each space you can see what's behind you that might block you from getting in and out. Some States are doing this and there are a few review sites that do plus, Campsite Photos is starting to take off.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dayle1 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:

IMHO your biggest issue is going to be bathroom accessibility, if your wife is using a walker or wheelchair. Most RV bathroom doors are too narrow for either one. So take a hard look at the bathroom layout.

I fully understand the bathroom issue and have several layouts with bathrooms that might work. If not the advantage of a TH is I can add a handicap bathroom in the garage.

Good thinking ahead. Even larger RV bathrooms have narrow doors.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've noticed that Corp of Engineer campgrounds usually have very nice large wheelchair-accessible sites. You can reserve them. If they are not taken or reserved by 6 PM, anyone can use them.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to be limited but you should be able to find sites that will work if you research the campgrounds carefully. We fulltime and I (Karen) use a wheelchair. We have found that many campgrounds do not have accessible sites and if they do the sites often do not fit the criteria for handicapped access. Sometimes the fact that the restrooms are next door is the only reason they are considered accessible which is not a priority for us since I use our RV bathroom exclusively. There isn't a standard for accessibility in campgrounds and as far as I know there are no federal requirements to provide accessibility unless the campground is undergoing a major rebuild.

The best accessible campsites have long, wide, flat paved parking pads with the pavement extending under the table and around the fire ring. These are rare but they are out there. I write about accessibility at every campground that we visit but we tend to boondock and stay in smaller campgrounds which may not work well for you. I can give you information about some that are so good that they've stuck in my mind if you're interested or you can just scan through all of my blog posts where I mention a campground - http://rollinginarv-wheelchairtraveling.blogspot.com/search/label/CAMPGROUNDS

Please feel free to PM me or contact me through my blog if you're curious about anything.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I believe most National Park sites have a limit of 30'.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:

IMHO your biggest issue is going to be bathroom accessibility, if your wife is using a walker or wheelchair. Most RV bathroom doors are too narrow for either one. So take a hard look at the bathroom layout.

I fully understand the bathroom issue and have several layouts with bathrooms that might work. If not the advantage of a TH is I can add a handicap bathroom in the garage.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
kerrlakeroo wrote:
Have you looked at a lift for your current rig?
google RV handicap lifts and you will find quite a few options.
www.coachlift.com/rv-lift/

A lift alone doesn't solve the problems of access to the bathroom and bedroom upstairs.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the federal campgrounds located in California, it seems to me there are spots that will accommodate you. Possibly 5 to 10 per cent within any given campground. In California State Parks, you are going to have trouble finding one in many.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As was mentioned earlier bathroom access is key. One other idea for shortening the rig Keystone Outback 324CG. Curbside front entry wheelchair ramp would simplify the campsite question. I looked at that again and you could get a mobility scooter chair for outside and then use a walker or compact manual chair inside. If your close by, Genuine RV in Nacogdouches has one in stock.
Good Luck on your search.