cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Fifth-Wheel

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just purchased my first fifth-wheel. After a few camping trips with my wife in our small (very small) pop up, we decided to move up. Well we found a great deal on a fifth wheel.

I did a lot of camping as a kid, but this is my first real trailer of my own. To say the least, I have a lot to learn. Backing it up my driveway was a nightmare! I did get it there at the expense of some of the life of my clutch.

I have read a lot on this forum over the past few days and thought I would go ahead and join so that I could join in on the discussion.
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8
2002 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel
25 REPLIES 25

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
We're new 5'er owners as well. And I agree with the backing up stuff. I could put my 30'TT anywhere I wanted, usually 1st time. Only had the new 5'er out a couple times and so far I suck. I can get it into the spots okay but it takes 2x minimum. I just keep over driving it. I noticed that the 5'er won't reverse it's course as quickly as a TT. Also it wants to cut corners about a 1' or so more than the TT. And trees are lower around the 5'er🙂

Sure about that? I find the 5er taller!! The trees just seem lower!:B Our new 5er is 5' longer and about a foot taller than the old one (I can now stand in the bedroom). This is one of the bigger issues, old one had a single sheet aluminum roof, worst issue with branches was a damaged vent, about a $5 fix, now we are talking a ripped roof!
Our favorite Oregon SP, has lots of low hanging scrub pine around the campsites.

This is one of the more open spaces, at that SP.

This is one of the less 5er friendly (our old 5er).

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
After taking our first trip, we drove home, dropped off the dogs in the back yard and headed for the nearest school parking lot. We laid out our cones and backed several times. Then DH told me to get in and back it using his directions. Boy, all I could think was, "Is that how I sound? How confusing!" That taught me a lot. He told me, DW, to keep an eye on the rear end of the fiver. keep an eye on the blind spots for me and he'll back it using the mirrors. After spending a couple of hours practicing, we headed home and got her backed in. We took our time, stopped a lot, checked the position, pulled forward, back again. but got it in and in the perfect spot. Taking our time really helped and the refresher course helped too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Really good information JJBrown -
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jjbrown6818
Explorer
Explorer
I just went over the entries real quick but here is some advice I learned the hard way. When pulling out of a spot, the back of the rig swings faster and farther than you think. The wheels on a 5th tend to be in the middle and if you turn immediately the back of the rig swings out away from you line of travel. You will hit anything close to the side of the rig. Make sure you have the tires clear of things on either side before turning. I was near a wall on my property and thought I could turn and the rig would follow. It did but the back of the rig engaged the wall. Not a happy day. I have a long bed truck and recommend it over the short bed. If you have a tandem tire set, when backing, make sure you pull forward after backing to take the side stress on the tires. When backing the tires don't track the same as when pulling and side stress is put into the tires and suspension. By pulling forward at least the distance from the tire axle to the tail of the rig you will take the stress off. This would apply to single axle trailers as well.

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
FW_Michele wrote:
We are new too, haven't camped in it yet. Lots of great advice here about the technical parts, here's some other stuff.

We bought 6 safety cones, and went to an empty parking lot. Lined up the cones, and then practiced. Here's what we've learned:

As important as backing in, is getting directions straight!

Make sure you and your spotter are speaking the same language, and be specific! 😉 "No, the OTHER way" doesn't really help.

We have also figured out that we will be using 2-way radios, because with the 40' FW, and the Diesel Dually Long-Box - whoever is in the truck can't hear the spotter. I don't want our first introduction to a campground to be :M @$%@#%@#$% :M LOL

I drive with my dogs all the time and I have no spotter so I have to jump in and out of the truck a lot.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

FW_Michele
Explorer
Explorer
We are new too, haven't camped in it yet. Lots of great advice here about the technical parts, here's some other stuff.

We bought 6 safety cones, and went to an empty parking lot. Lined up the cones, and then practiced. Here's what we've learned:

As important as backing in, is getting directions straight!

Make sure you and your spotter are speaking the same language, and be specific! 😉 "No, the OTHER way" doesn't really help.

We have also figured out that we will be using 2-way radios, because with the 40' FW, and the Diesel Dually Long-Box - whoever is in the truck can't hear the spotter. I don't want our first introduction to a campground to be :M @$%@#%@#$% :M LOL

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
A retired truck driver friend of mine taught me to put my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel (overhand) when backing up.
Somehow the brain does the math and it really helped me get a better result.

He says "little moves" when turning the steering wheel.
It was good advice

I went to my church parking lot (not on Sunday) and practiced.
This really helped.

Don't let people rush you.
We have all had to wait for someone to back into their spot at the park so we could get past.
They can wait too! :B

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"? :S

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Virginia RVers wrote:
I found a school parking lot to pratice my backing. They have large lots marked off for the buses and allowed me to try and put it between the lines over and over. It sure helped me.

Great Advice,
When i move will have to locate a school close by.
Thanks for the tip.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled into a campground this past weekend and, when we found our spot I said "uh oh"... It looked tough. Guy across the way with a mid size TT commented that he was glad he didn't have to back into it. I'll bet he was almost as impressed as I was when I backed right in on the first try!
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

BScaff
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of good advice here. Patience, teamwork, & practice will work. Don't be embarrassed if it takes several times to get into a spot. I have been backing a fiver many years and still don't get it right every time. By the way I am just down the road from you. Enjoy!!
2004 dodge 3500 dually 5.9 Cummings
2009 Jayco Designer 35RLTS

sele
Explorer
Explorer
keep iin mind slow real slow and patience we have all been there i watch my f'ver tires also as i back in aalong with the rear bumper as a guide use the grass edge of the spot as a guide. If you can't get to a big parking lot use your own driveway lay a 2x12 about 5 ft long down and practice backing up onto it from the street. relax it will get better as you go.
scott

Virginia_RVers
Explorer
Explorer
I found a school parking lot to pratice my backing. They have large lots marked off for the buses and allowed me to try and put it between the lines over and over. It sure helped me.
2014 Dodge 3500 DRW, Cummins Diesel
2007 Crossroads Paradise Pointe PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Chelsea & Duncan (Traveling Scotty Dogs)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We're new 5'er owners as well. And I agree with the backing up stuff. I could put my 30'TT anywhere I wanted, usually 1st time. Only had the new 5'er out a couple times and so far I suck. I can get it into the spots okay but it takes 2x minimum. I just keep over driving it. I noticed that the 5'er won't reverse it's course as quickly as a TT. Also it wants to cut corners about a 1' or so more than the TT. And trees are lower around the 5'er:)

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
This is great advice. Lot of really good information on backing a Fifth Wheel.
Thanks for the post.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992