Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flexible floorplan for soon to be empty nesters

ac_sheldon
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this has been asked before.

We are considering upgrading our bunkhouse TT to a 5th wheel. Our kids are in high school and will be leaving the nest soon. We are looking for a floorplan that can give them their space now like they have with the bunkhouse but where we can use that space for "adult living" when they are off to school.

Any suggestions?
15 REPLIES 15

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
If you think the 35' 5ers are big....try a 40' or larger 5er. Or 5er is set up for drinks for 6, dinner for 4 and sleeps 2. When the grandsons want to be with us they get the sofa bed and never complain.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We started off with a front living room, FR Sandpiper 366FL. The kids, 12&14 at the time, really liked the room with both couches pulling out to Queen beds. They had the 50" TV and a fire place. During the day everything folder up and we had a nice large living area.

Now kids are 16&18 and the daughter has moved out, she never really liked camping after the first year. In 2014 we purchased a Sierra 360PDEK, rear living room with a deck off the back. Our son, when he has time to join us, sleeps on the couch. This new layout suits the wife and I better and we love the deck.

The new fiver is 42' long but have yet to not get a site. Purchase for the empty nesters in you. Your kids will not be camping with you much longer and when they do they can sleep on the couch or a tent.

Best of luck, it's scary and sad at the same time yet exciting to see what our empty nest travels will be.

Camp on.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Who are you buying for, yourselves or the kids who might occasionally be with you? Get them a tent & get yourselves a rolling little condo that is the proverbial partys 6, feeds 4 & sleeps 2. If the convertable couch is not good enough they can go out & sleep with the bears.

X2. Kids are flexible. They may actually prefer the tent when all is said and done. Our first hybrid was small and purchased when our daughter was getting ready to graduate from HS. We bought it without thoughts of her camping with us. When she did camp with us after that she had a tent.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Toy haulers do offer some compelling advantages and they can't be beat in terms of flexibility. You can use the garage any way you want, and you typically get an on-board generator and really big tanks for camping off the grid in comfort. We're seriously considering going to one when we upgrade in a few years primarily because they are so much more flexible than a standard fifth wheel trailer, not only in terms of hauling toys but also with how you use the living space. And the aforementioned generator and big tanks are really appealing given the way we like to camp dispersed whenever possible.

The tricky thing with toy haulers is keeping the sizes down to a reasonable length because your options are limited at 35'. I also have a mental aversion to going much longer than that.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a toy hauler? "Garage" area can be a bedroom or an empty space that you can use for anything.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Staying under 35' is an important point.

Much can still be had in <35'. The >35'ers basically have all of the same stuff in them that the smaller ones do. They just have more floorspace. Who needs enough open space to have a square dance? Not my DW. Galley counter space is what is important to her. As 150 plus nights a year travelers alot of cooking goes on in her galley. A fully functioning galley & a large freshwater tank were top prioritys.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ac_sheldon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the comments! We looked at the mid bunk models at the RV show this weekend and like Greene728, our issue is the mammoth size of those guys!! We would love to stay in the <35 foot range so we can have better access to the state parks, etc.

After retirement, we will be looking at the 35+ foot units for more of a full time thing. But for now, we just want something for the weekends and the occasional week long trips.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread as me and my wife are in the exact same boat. We too have looked at mid bunks for all the reasons already stated. However, the size really pushed me away simply due to not wanting to exceed the 34-36ft range because it limits us really bad in some of the older COE parks we love to visit. I too am leaning towards the nice tent idea when they do wish to come along as them and their friends would probably rather stay in a tent anyway. Sprinter makes one that is really tempting and just over my length at just under 38 or 39ft IIRC. But if I get another one, I'd like a nicer and better built unit for when we hit the road in the future as I'd hope to have it for quite sometime. The Sprinter is probably a fine unit, but just not sure a entry level (maybe a step or two above) is what I want to hopefully have for I'd say atleast 10+- years.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Veebyes above.
Almost grown kids...leaving home soon. Realistically they aren't going to be camping with you much if at all...

Look for a unit that fits your "new life style" situation..like a rear lounge (with a couple of recliners) and a larger bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. No need for a bunkhouse taking up space mostly unused.

Our dogs ended up using the bunk house area when we were in the same situation.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who are you buying for, yourselves or the kids who might occasionally be with you? Get them a tent & get yourselves a rolling little condo that is the proverbial partys 6, feeds 4 & sleeps 2. If the convertable couch is not good enough they can go out & sleep with the bears.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
Most manufactures now put their floor plans online. That is where we started. We eliminated lots of manufacturers from the start because of things that would not work for us (corner showers and islands with a sink were our 2 big 'do not wants'. Then when we had a handful that looked good, those were the ones we checked out up close and personal! It's a process but we wanted to find the just right one and we did! Good luck!

WoodedOne
Explorer
Explorer
Mid BH floorplans appear to us empty nesters primarily due to the separate space -- perfect for a sewing room, a quiet reading room, a place to have a quiet phone conversation. One of the first things I noticed that if I wanted to have some quiet time while the TV was going, I either needed to sit outside under the awning to lay on the bed -- this led me to start thinking of the benefits of a bonus room.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Just as ACZL says, the mid bunk units have a small "bedroom" with a couch and usually a bunk above. There is some wardrobe room, but then an entertainment center, which is perfect for a den or office if the kids aren't around.

They are large units, usually 42+, but there are a couple of manufacturers whose units are a few inches smaller.

That is my plan within the next couple of years, but I'll wait until I can get a fairly new but used one.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at mid BH offered by many mfr's? Have the rear LR yet still have a room for the kids if they want to come along. Most of these set-ups have a loft above them for add'l sleeping---but it's tight. Could use this area for storage of things and the BH as well or an office/computer room when just the 2 of you.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"