cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest river cardinal vs keystone Montana ?

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
Been researching Montana's for a while and found the floorplan we like. Wife just saw a cardinal with similar floor plan and likes it. However salesman cannot answer any of my questions about the unit didn't seem to know much of his product. Any insight on a cardinal would be greatly appreciated, any known problems, looking at a 2014 model.

From researching their site it looks like the Montana's and Cardinals are apples and apples.

Specifically talking about the cardinal 3727re vs Montana 3625re.

Thanks for any info
30 REPLIES 30

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have friends that bought a big Cardinal last year and tow it with a F350 Dually and other friends that have a large Montana they tow with a F350 LB SRW. They both like their rigs.

I would pick the Cardinal based on fit and finish.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

trbill2003
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2000 Cardinal fifth wheel. Except for squirrels and a water leak caused by hitting a branch and tearing our roof the trailer is solid. Incidentally while fixing problems caused by squirrels and afermentioned leak I have become very familiar with the guts of our unit. Aluminum framing is far superior if you ever have a water issue, and most of you if you have your trailer a long time will have a water issue. The underbelley of our trailer is virtually as a new. I am not sure about newer units but ours has stood up very well. We have taken it all over North America and bounced it down some horrible Eastern turnpikes in the U.S. and over worse roads in Quebec and really rough roads in Northern Canada. Solid trailer.

I have upgraded our suspension with new shocks and a Trailair equalizer.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
IMO same RV. One will be no better no worse than the other. Choose the floor plan that best suites your needs.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 07' Cedar Creek Daydreamer which we now full-time in and we love it, as a seasoned rv'er and a retired master carpenter/finish contractor in my considered opinion our Cedar Creek fiver is made extremely well with exceptional fit and finish,and the most important thing about being a "creeker" is the OUTSTANDING after-the-sale customer service that Forest River/Cedar Creek has given us along the way, here's an example of their commitment to their customers;

Last spring I noticed that the clear-coat on out full-body paint was peeling at the top, now mind you our fiver is an 07' so I called Cedar Creek and was referred to their paint shop Topeka graphics who asked for some pictures, after a couple of days the shop manager Ken asked if I could bring our fiver to their shop and they would re-do the clear-coat at no expense at our convenience! They took very good care of our rig and had it done on schedule, now that's what I call OUTSTANDING after-the-sale customer service!! Also on the way down to Florida this fall we hit some road debris that caused a tire blow-out and suffered some wheel well/fender damage and again Cedar Creek's staff was on the job helping us get the parts we need (at dealer cost I might add),again OUTSTANDING after-the-sale customer service!!

This is why we are proud to own our rig, we get compliments on it where ever we go and we would recommend Cedar Creek without hesitation to anyone knowing full well that they will be well cared for by Cedar Creek!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the Montana. Had a cardinal traded for a HH.CE.

thirteen
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used 2006 or 2007 Montana Mountaineer 342 PHT (sold as 2006 but based on manufacture date I think it is 2007). It is great. Issue with fixing he heater and the solenoid for slide pump. Otherwise nothing. But after a few years having to do those two things don't seem like a big deal and Keystone didn't manufacture either of those items.
If I bought it new and that happened early then I would presume warranty.
Frame is in great shape and it is a joy for my family of seven to use. We came from a 23' hybrid so this is like a mansion to us.
The only thing I would have done different is a switch inside to the outlet outside so I can flick that to shut off lights outside at nigh instead of going outside. Considering that is the only thing I would change I am very happy. We stopped using it in October for the winter and already itching to schedule the next trip. Maybe April will be warm enough to go down to Massachusetts.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
Don-I am unable to make a clickable link but the topic is in the Forest River forum under Prime Time fifth wheels. They make the Crusader. A post was made by RV Guy describing the different types of covers for the bottom of the slide and that they are transitioning away from Darco. The Darco looks similar to the weaved material used in home siding. Supposedly it will breath but not allow water but I don't think that it will prevent water from attacking the wood bottom. If I had noticed it before buying, I would have passed.

Do a search for "Slide out /underside wearing". It began August 11. You can also do a search for "Platokidd" He started the topic. I am not Platokidd. There are pictures of the problem.

So, your equating your Prime Time issues to being the same problem with all Forest River products?
Based on that assumption my 2005 Cedar Creeks slide outs should all be totally rotted through. Sorry, my trailer is totally solid. It has finally developed a couple of squeaks in the bedroom floor after 9 years of use. Does that count as a rotten floor problem?

Did you and Newman read my post or the link I provided? :h If so, read it again. I did not single out Cedar Creek although a guy in the link I provided has a 2012 CC that has the underside wearing. I stated that Forest River is having trouble with slides on some of their products. There was a poll taken on the Forest River forum asking people if they had a problem with the material on the bottom of the slide. The poll included Avenger,Tracer,LaCrosse, Crusader, Sanibel and "Other Models"

The link I posted also stated that Forest River uses 3 different bottoms and they were getting away from the Darco wrap and yet they say they are unaware of any problems with the wrap they were using.

I caution anyone who is looking at a new rig of any kind to check the bottom of the slides thoroughly, especially the Forest River brand.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Back on subject.. The Cardinal falls into the top of the Forrest River 5th Wheel line. I have an 08 with no major problems, yes I am happy with it. You will need a 1ton to pull it with as they are heavy. Check out and ask your cardinal question at: http://www.cardinalrvclub.org
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that is news to me that crappy stuff still looks brand new on my solid floor 2002 cedar creek .but then again mine has real marine plywood not osb board

I would choose the cardinal they have been around longer and stand behind their product.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charlie D. wrote:
Don-I am unable to make a clickable link but the topic is in the Forest River forum under Prime Time fifth wheels. They make the Crusader. A post was made by RV Guy describing the different types of covers for the bottom of the slide and that they are transitioning away from Darco. The Darco looks similar to the weaved material used in home siding. Supposedly it will breath but not allow water but I don't think that it will prevent water from attacking the wood bottom. If I had noticed it before buying, I would have passed.

Do a search for "Slide out /underside wearing". It began August 11. You can also do a search for "Platokidd" He started the topic. I am not Platokidd. There are pictures of the problem.

So, your equating your Prime Time issues to being the same problem with all Forest River products?
Based on that assumption my 2005 Cedar Creeks slide outs should all be totally rotted through. Sorry, my trailer is totally solid. It has finally developed a couple of squeaks in the bedroom floor after 9 years of use. Does that count as a rotten floor problem?

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Oop again:S

Perhapa a "copy and paste" will work?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f210/slide-out-underside-wearing-45789.html
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Don
OOPS_See my comments below
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jts140 wrote:
Been researching Montana's for a while and found the floorplan we like. Wife just saw a cardinal with similar floor plan and likes it. However salesman cannot answer any of my questions about the unit didn't seem to know much of his product. Any insight on a cardinal would be greatly appreciated, any known problems, looking at a 2014 model.

From researching their site it looks like the Montana's and Cardinals are apples and apples.

Specifically talking about the cardinal 3727re vs Montana 3625re.

Thanks for any info

What are you going to tow with? The newer Cardinals are pin heavy, as they moved the axles back. Duallie territory! Check out cardinalrvclub.org for more answers. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a member of Forest River forums and have never heard of any issues with them other than normal new RV things. Where are you getting this from Charlie?
My 2005 Cedar Creek has been nearly perfect since new. Right now I have two minor issues that will be taken care of this spring. Both I consider normal wear and tear. FR customer service, at least Cedar Creek division has been nothing less than outstanding.