cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frameless Windows?

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a web site that describes "frameless windows" being touted as a plus in some RV's. Best I can determine is that they are double pane? What about opening mechanisms?
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed
22 REPLIES 22

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Re Broken glass......Had 6 of mine replaced so far (2.5yrs). They have to replace the whole frame and glass. You can't just replace the glass part. (maybe you can but that's not how mine were done) 1 had the seal between the dual panes leak and 5 were replaced trying to get water leaks to stop. Mine were Lippert (Kinro). I heard Hehr are much better.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Okay - two panes of glass - slightly thicker, but the same seal against the rig. But I'm sure it minimizes the heat / cooling transfer though the glass more than what I have.

Rig's new - just a month old. Give me a couple more months and a few hundred miles down the road - it will be plenty dirty.

Can't really tell from the picture, but there is an air gap between the glass panes as well.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Okay - two panes of glass - slightly thicker, but the same seal against the rig. But I'm sure it minimizes the heat / cooling transfer though the glass more than what I have.

Rig's new - just a month old. Give me a couple more months and a few hundred miles down the road - it will be plenty dirty.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
triple post

Ah come on, one more and you've hit for the cycle :B
I think it is old age - wrong button just keeps jumping out at me :B
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pics PawPaw, and nice rig!

Here is the insulated window version

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see from the open pics from the inside - there is a frame around the glass. I assume it is glued to the glass with something like rear view mirror glue.

It is just not visible from the outside.

The windows on my slides are normal framed windows which slide up to open for ventilation.

I'm a little concerned about the long term - five years or so - pliability of the seals. I'm also a little concerned about the way the 'frame' is attached to the glass. But if either of these becomes an issue with the concept of frameless windows - we will hear a lot about it.

Another concern is obviously that replacement of a broken window will be expensive - and might not be easy to find someone with the correct glass to make the repair.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Solid non-opening Window

Opening Emergency Exit

Emergency Exit Outside

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Rear Frameless Windows on my TT

Outside with one section open

Closeup of window

Inside Closed

Inside Open

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
triple post

Ah come on, one more and you've hit for the cycle :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
Just a note: I have not seen them in the side of the slides. I suspect they don't slide well through the slide seal. Ours has dual pane standard sliding windows in the sides of the slides.

I ask an Open Range rep at an RV show about that - the possibility of catching on the slide seal is a concern.

Another thing on the slide is they never install the crank out windows - only slide up and down windows. Because certainly someone will try to move the slide in with a crank out window open.
Check Sydney's Cedar Creek, it has the frameless windows on the side of the slides but they slide open (so technically I guess the bottom of the window has a frame that shows), but they look nice. I hadn't seen that before.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
Just a note: I have not seen them in the side of the slides. I suspect they don't slide well through the slide seal. Ours has dual pane standard sliding windows in the sides of the slides.

I ask an Open Range rep at an RV show about that - the possibility of catching on the slide seal is a concern.

Another thing on the slide is they never install the crank out windows - only slide up and down windows. Because certainly someone will try to move the slide in with a crank out window open.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
The side slide windows are frame less as well and slide up to open.

Very cool, I just peeked at them on the web - had not seen that before.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
We have frame less dual pane windows on our Cedar Creek. The side slide windows are frame less as well and slide up to open. The other windows open at the bottom by standard scissor mechanism.

Besides looking great... it's a lot easier to inspect the exterior seals and re-caulk to help maintain a leak free rig.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have the "frameless" windows and they are dual pane. We usually do not open our windows because of allergies. We do have 4 vent fans so we can ventilate that way.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK