cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Size of jack pads?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are putting jack pads on our Xmas list. What size do we need to do the job so that we don't punch through asphalt. I see Camco 6 x 6 at Walmart & Amazon has some Tico 14 x 12. Naturally, the TICO ar much more expensive... Also, what about wheel chocks. Any trouble using the ones that fit between the dual axles? My hubby is afraid that they will be hard to adjust. Lists are going out today... Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Ten inch pieces of 2x8 for jack pads. Much less stressful to leave behind when frozen in. Splits of firewood between the wheels make excellent chocks. Price on both has Walmart beat.
Art.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
X4 for Rotochacks. They are excellent. The trailer does not move. easy to use. First on - last off.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Mover480
Explorer
Explorer
X3 Rotochok

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
3/4 Ply two pieces glued together to make an 1-1/2", they are 8"X8", if some day they prove too small will make a set of 12"X12".
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ronday
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Rotochoks
2008 Chevy 2500HD D/A, Crewcab SB, Pullrite superglide
2011 Big Country BC 3250TS 33ft 5ver
2005 Fleetwood 26ft 5ver
2005 Sun Lite Truck Camper
Ron - 29 yrs HS Tech Teacher (ret) 24 yrs USN/USNR Chief (ret)
Sheila - 29 yrs HS Home and Careers Teacher (ret)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another home brew guy here. 2X6 screwed together. Been used literally hundreds of times. Load area is at least double leg foot size. Seen those plastic thinghys slip
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Jack pads? as stated by donn0128, plastic one ... break!

I stick with treated lumber, and have been use the same boards for 15 years now, on EVERY kind of surface! And they cost nothing, as they were originally scrap lumber. In spite of all the hoop-la-and-hollar about the pretty plastic pads, they're still plastic!

Chocks? Fancy is not necessarily better! Be practical. There again, chocks are suppose to "chock" the wheels to keep the vehicle from sliding or moving when parked.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been using a set of plastic jack pads on the 5vr front landing gear legs for almost 7 yrs. of full time traveling on all types of surfaces. If they bend due to soft ground we just flip them over the next time.

As for wheel chocks
Bal X-Chocks work
But the cats meow are Rotochok......LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
2x8 cut 12" and X-Chocks also.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have some3/4 inch plywood 12 inches square. Thios is enough to spread out the weighht sufficiently to not sink through most asphalt.
These from Camco would be good. Remmeber that you put the smooth side down on asphalt.
Camco 14 X 11.7

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Jack pads? From my experiences the larger they are the faster they break. If there is the slightest uneven surface under them the pressure can break them in a hurry. Personally I use 2X6 pressure treat lumber cut to about 10-12 inches long. Cheap, and if they break, you have fire wood.
As for wheel chocks? Go to Harbor Freight. They have some really nice heavy rubber ones that work very well. Best thing is they are also cheap.
To the last part of your ?
The pads you place between the tires on dual axle trailers work well to help eliminate movement in the trailer. However they are not for all trailers. CW sells a couple of different sizes. But on my fiver I cannot use them because the space between tires is too close for them. So before you go buy some, go measure the distance.

X2

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Size of pad - it really depends upon the surface. Some places you really need to spread the load a lot. I have 12x12 pads, and have had them sink into the ground a few times where I had to park on grass and it rained. When I think it might be really soft - I use some 2x8 boards that I have cut into 12 inch lengths. Not because they are less likely to sink in - but because I have handles on them and can pull them out with the claw of a hammer.

Between the wheel chocks - I love them. They are easy to adjust and setup. And besides doing a very good job of making sure the trailer cannot roll - they also help reduce movement as we walk around the trailer. Our last trailer - the BAL X-Chocks had to be open to about 8 inches to snug between the tires. The new trailer they are almost closed - about 2.25 inches between the tires.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jack pads? From my experiences the larger they are the faster they break. If there is the slightest uneven surface under them the pressure can break them in a hurry. Personally I use 2X6 pressure treat lumber cut to about 10-12 inches long. Cheap, and if they break, you have fire wood.
As for wheel chocks? Go to Harbor Freight. They have some really nice heavy rubber ones that work very well. Best thing is they are also cheap.
To the last part of your ?
The pads you place between the tires on dual axle trailers work well to help eliminate movement in the trailer. However they are not for all trailers. CW sells a couple of different sizes. But on my fiver I cannot use them because the space between tires is too close for them. So before you go buy some, go measure the distance.