cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fulltimers....what's your favorite 5er?

joeburnes
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to start fulltiming and have never owned a 5er. I'm looking to buy a used one due to budget. I want to get a unit that I know the construction is good in so I don't buy a brand that is falling apart on me. Please let me know which ones to look at that will stand the test of time and which ones to definitely stay away from. And most importantly, "why" you feel the way you do.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

EDIT: I'll need a "4 seasons" one as I'll be all over the country at different times of year.
Remember: If you light a man a fire, he's warm for one night....but, if you light a man ON fire, he's warm for the rest of his life!
36 REPLIES 36

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite is the one we have now. Unfortunately they closed down but not because of lack of sales but another bank bought their bank and called everyone's loan that did business with the. Bank..... Oh yes they can do that and anything they want to do!

We would recommend a Hitchiker brand. Thinking they are built in Kansas?
Also another brand, I can not think of the name. They do not build a lot of them and will build to your specs when possible. Very very expensive but is a very high end with less problems.
Another is Mobile Suites. Very nice good build.
All of these are very heavy so takes a Meduim duty truck like a 4500 or 5500 truck.
I have heard good things about Lifestyle 5th wheels.

Listen to Zoso who said to buy a preowned Carri Lite made by Carriage.
We also have a Carri Lite and we really like it and have full timed in it for almost 8 years
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

ZOSO
Explorer
Explorer
Favorite 5er?? Well that's easy!!

Obviously the one we own!!! 😉

2008 36XTRM5 Carri-Lite by Carriage.

Seriously though, you could do a lot worse than a pre-owned Carriage product.

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Owned a 2013 Landmark and it was a POS. Traded it for a 2015 Montana and it is much better. Have owned 4 Montanas now and no problems out of any of them. Higher end I would look at a Mobile Suite.

joeburnes
Explorer
Explorer
Thank all of you for the great advice. I agree with one poster that it comes down to a dice roll. Only way to rig the dice is to inspect every little thing on the prospective unit. I have learned that no matter what the unit is, there are going to be happy people and mad people. Nowhere near the consistency of the auto industry. lol
This could be why JD Power doesn't rank 5ers.
I ended up looking back at the original brochures for the units available to me to make sure they were using quality materials and construction. Basically to make sure they were "snowbirdable" or better. 🙂
Then I inspected the heck out of each prospective unit. I also took into account the price compared to NADA's low retail value as a benchmark. In Texas, there is an overstock right now due to the slump in the oilfields and you can get good 5ers in good condition below low retail all day long.
I ended up putting money down on a 2004 32' Montana. It's got almost everything I want while being small enough to "wean" me into hauling a 5er with my 3/4 ton. I got it from PPL who I HIGHLY recommend in Texas for consignment. They have the cleanest and least expensive options in Texas and I did a TON of research. Right now, PPL is doing an inspection and systems check for me so I should have the unit in a couple days.
Thanks again for all your help. It has proven invaluable to me!
*tips cowboy hat*
Remember: If you light a man a fire, he's warm for one night....but, if you light a man ON fire, he's warm for the rest of his life!

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
We have full timed for over ten years....six of those in a Heartland Bighorn, and the last three in a Heartland Landmark. The Landmark has served usVERY well, as did the Bighorn, in temps from over 100 down to -6 with NO issues whatsoever. If you looking at new, the Landmark and the Bighorn are not only built for full time use, they are also warrantied in writing for full time use...
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
joeburnes wrote:
I'm about to start fulltiming and have never owned a 5er. I'm looking to buy a used one due to budget. I want to get a unit that I know the construction is good in so I don't buy a brand that is falling apart on me. Please let me know which ones to look at that will stand the test of time and which ones to definitely stay away from. And most importantly, "why" you feel the way you do.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

EDIT: I'll need a "4 seasons" one as I'll be all over the country at different times of year.

We have a Cedar Creek and like it a lot. The Cedar Creek (and Silverback) are well manufactured and well supported by Forest River. Grreat 5th wheels. Ours is 2011.
You may want to look at a quality 5th wheel to start with.
It is very important to look at is the quality of the trailer you are looking for. There are a 1,000 things to check out and the dealer will not be patient helping you out.
Some of the things to check out . . . roof and caulking around stuff up there; outside of trailer; possible water damage; tires; check for failed suspension; etc etc.
Very important to check our water damage. It can really be hiddent. push on floors, siding to find our mushy areas. Especialy the baggage areas.
ken and sue
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

lucyloo
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many options in the used market, hard to narrow down to any one brand. We also went the used rout due to budget and settled on a Cardinal. The best thing to do is visit several lots and check out what you like. I had a nice Jayco picked out on the web but when we went to see it, the DW wanted the cardinal parked next to it. I will add, many of the bigger dealers have almost zero pride in their used inventory and instead choose to detail, clean and repair them after the sale. We could not find anything decent at the many giant lots, and ended up buying from a small dealer that only carried about 20 - 15 rigs for sale. But they were all immaculate and ready to use (Buyers RV Mart, Riverside Ca.) Good Luck
2006 Silverado 6.6 LBZ. Long Bed
2006 Forest River Cardinal, 33TSLE
Traveled and camped along Interstate 5 (Oceanside Ca. to Sumas Wa.)

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
Have only owned one 5th wheel trailer. Been full-time RVing in it since October 9, 2004. This is our first RV. No plans to get anything else. See my signature.

Another vote for this place.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned a # of rigs.....We have an Open Range now....bye far the BEST rig we've ever owned. No matter what rig you look at, look for problems...ESPECIALLY the used ones. If you take your time and look at details versus the color of the furniture, you'll see what's wrong. We've seen rigs with the moulding wrinkling and falling off.......why? We've seen rigs with water marks on the ceiling.........why? Look them over, under, into, onto......EVERYTHING. Ask questions.......look at the salesman's eyes when you ask the questions......body language will tell you more than his/her mouth. 🙂 🙂
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
You might try your question on the *Full Time RVing* forum (here)

and also on the Escapees Discussion Forums (which have lots, and LOTS of Full-timers - as well as a for sale forum..;)

Link - Escapees

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVcrazy wrote:
Another vote for a used Nuwa Hitchhiker from Kansas RV center. They sell others now, but are the location of the former Nuwa factory. They refurbish used units and can make changes if you want. We had some changes and additions done on our unit. We have been FT for just over a year.

X3 and their service department is first rate. I have an appointment in a few weeks. I stop once a year to get whatever glitches or upgrades have come up handled.
Larry

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kansas RV Center (former HitchHiker plant) does a fantastic job on refurbishing their products for resale. The also repair other brands as well as sell a good selection of new.
www.kansasrvcenter.com

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a used Nuwa Hitchhiker from Kansas RV center. They sell others now, but are the location of the former Nuwa factory. They refurbish used units and can make changes if you want. We had some changes and additions done on our unit. We have been FT for just over a year.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at kansasrvcenter.com. The used to manufacture NuWa 5ers and carry an inventory of those as well as other quality units. We were very happy with our purchase process with them.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on what and how you fulltime. Our first few months we sat in one place. Had to wait for my wife to retire and for winter to pass. We don't do cold weather. We have snow birded and full timed in both a Cedar Creek and now our Mobile Suites. Both were ordered and purchased new. The Cedar Creek served us well for 10 years except for that nasty frame break. We have traveled over 13000 miles in our Suites since we took delivery in Oct. Have had some issues and DRV has stood behind and made the repairs. We love our Suites for the most part. Also it depends on your budget these things are not inexpensive. Also recommend looking at Fork's Rv, Spacecraft and New Horizon.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.