cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gooseneck Question

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all. I am about to purchase a 2007 Keystone Lerado 29RG fifth wheel from a friend that has always used a Gooseneck Hitch. My truck is a 2015 Ford F-250 with a short bed, full fifth wheel/gooseneck package. I have heard and read enough stories of busted windows and dented cabs. I will paly with the angle to see how this model trailer will match to my cab but was hoping for some feedback from someone with experience. I have heard that Gooseneck hitches may not be compatible with certain model trailers as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.
M. Dollar
21 REPLIES 21

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I do believe there's a huge difference in payload weight and hitch weight ratings on the pictures old biscuit posted but I'm still not for g-neck adaptors on a 5er. Just the duallys on the g-neck trailer are a dead giveaway it's not even close to a fair comparison. I did serious damage to one of my 5ers with a g-neck. The adaptor doubled the distance the front of the frame flexed and it tore up the siding and wall paneling. But... if it doesn't have any damage by now it might be worth a chance and I'd get that adaptor off ASAP. Hopefully your friend will level with you if he knows of any damage. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dtank wrote:
agesilaus wrote:

But ask your self this, how many semis have you seen using a gooseneck?

The furnished advice was good, however......
it should have *not* have included this (useless) trivial question.

Semis (tractor/trailers) use a hitch that does not articulate side to side.
It will do more damage to a 5th wheel (RV) trailer than a gooseneck.
That's why the first thing to go on an HDT conversion for RV 5h wheel towing is the commercial hitch on the tractor.

And the damage is where?? I've owned RV 5th wheel hitches for 26 yrs., none with side pivot and never had an issue. And no 5th wheel manufacturer has a disclaimer stating that their units can only be used with side pivot hitches. Also if this was a serious issue, then the semis would have side pivot hitches as well to prolong the life of those aluminum box trailers. Got any details?
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dtank wrote:

However, many construction folks *do* successfully use gooseneck hitches to pull trailers with heavy construction equipment.

Heck yeah........see lots of that.
But those trailers have been gooseneck trailers....not 5th wheel
Gooseneck trailers are designed to carry HEAVY Loads

5th wheel........sometimes can't even carry designed loads

5th wheel frame structure (Lippert design)

Gooseneck frame structure

BIG Difference in design due to stresses exerted at hitch point
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

But ask your self this, how many semis have you seen using a gooseneck?

The furnished advice was good, however......
it should have *not* have included this (useless) trivial question.

Semis (tractor/trailers) use a hitch that does not articulate side to side.
It will do more damage to a 5th wheel (RV) trailer than a gooseneck.
That's why the first thing to go on an HDT conversion for RV 5h wheel towing is the commercial hitch on the tractor.

However, many construction folks *do* successfully use gooseneck hitches to pull trailers with heavy construction equipment.

jbarnes4868
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting read. I've been using gooseneck adapters for 20 years because I'm always pulling large trailers that have gooseneck hitches. My son just bought a new 5'er from Camping World and they added a gooseneck adapter without a warning on warranty coverage. Will have to pursue this further. Jerry.

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
I did read it and don't see the problem. It's no different than any other warranty. However, for those who need justification for not considering the Andersen, they can use the warranty.
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
rskeans wrote:

Whether it was approved or not approved is in-material. ... Further, to give comfort to those concerned, Andersen provides a $5M protection warranty.

They do offer that warranty, and if you read it there is a very easy out for them in it. If you are the guy caught between them and Lippert, you will have a lot of money out to get your issue fixed, and/or a very long wait in litigation to get it settled.

Or you can avoid the possibility in the first place.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
ramgunner wrote:
hbillsmith wrote:
Andersen Ultimate Fifthwheel Hitch for gooseneck trucks. Approved by Grand Design and Open Range.

The Andersen Ultimate is NOT approved by Grand Design. They are following the recommendation of Lippert that it is NOT approved. You can find out more by contacting them directly or checking out the Grand Design Owners Forum.

Whether it was approved or not approved is in-material. There has never been a failure to a frame due to the Andersen. Further, to give comfort to those concerned, Andersen provides a $5M protection warranty. Refer to their web site, bottom PDF.
http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/gooseneck-mount--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
Andersen Ultimate Fifthwheel Hitch for gooseneck trucks. Approved by Grand Design and Open Range.

The Andersen Ultimate is NOT approved by Grand Design. They are following the recommendation of Lippert that it is NOT approved. You can find out more by contacting them directly or checking out the Grand Design Owners Forum.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

IDgal
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all--new here. Been researching the Andersen Ultimate, especially since they are made here in my hometown. Granted, my 5ver is not especially long, but I'm sold on the Andersen. I found this on their website for those that are worried about voided warranties from their 5ver manufacturer. I've been using a regular plate because of the horror stories on goosenecks, but I'm going to go with Andersen. I'm not one that can lift big plates in and out of the bed of my truck and this is another added benefit of the Andersen to me--having my whole bed available if I need it. I plan to be RVing fulltime starting in mid-July so I'll let you all know how it goes.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/uploads/Supplemental%20Warranty%20-%20Ultimate%202015.pdf

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt if there is any eroding of sound engineering practices at Lippert or Reese. I have asked to speak to an engineer at Reese and never had anyone to speak to me.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Your friend has towed it successfully with a Gooseneck, as usually at least one or more Fifth Wheel owners in virtually every Campground you'll visit (my experience since 2007). My next door neighbor in the RGV tows his with a simple gooseneck adapter from IL to south TX every year. I towed my 14K Fiver for 8 years before a REALLY I-10 bad pothole cracked the front cross beam shortly after I converted to the Reese Goosebox. Fix greatly strengthened the front end so hopefully it will better withstand bad roads/last at least as long as it did before the failure. I went back to using the "Star Performance Kingpin Adapter" which I originally installed. Its range of motion/force attenuation is greater than the Goosebox and less maintenance intensive.
Your decision of course!
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
Also the Reese Goosebox is approved for use on trailers with a Lippert frame. Reese is a Lippert subsidiary.

I dunno about the current corporate relationship between Lippert and Reese, but Lippert had exclusive marketing rights for the Reese Goosebox in the RV marketplace. This is an obvious case where marketing (and their quest for the almighty $$$$) overrode sound engineering practice.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Andersen Ultimate Fifthwheel Hitch for gooseneck trucks. Approved by Grand Design and Open Range. I use one in a std bed truck no issues. Andersen raises the ball position and does not incur the levered stress that a ranch hand style goose would. Also the Reese Goosebox is approved for use on trailers with a Lippert frame. Reese is a Lippert subsidiary.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States