Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design Reflection

L3
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Again All,

I posted a few months ago about a possible new Montana and many thanks to all the replies. We are still researching possibilities and found a Grand Design Reflection we like. Any thoughts on these units - build quality, customer service , etc. - is greatly appreciated!
23 REPLIES 23

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
We were looking at toyhaulers but I really liked the Grand Design models we looked at in their Momentum line. They seemed much nicer than other manufacturers. Unfortunately the price tag matched the "much nicer" part, so we went with a lower end model. If we were using our rig for more than just weekends and a few longer trips a year, we would go for something like a Grand Design.

Look at the Kz Venom line, the but build quality I believe is just as good and the price is far less ...

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/venom-fifth-wheel-toy-haulers/

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Reflection owner here. I can't honestly say the GD rv's are built any better then the rest of the competition. Whst I can say us that when things do need fixing, GD covers it without complaint or a fight. That does set them apart ftom others. The also will allow the owner to use mobile repair or independent RV shops if you have a reasonable explanation such as poor dealer repsirs or unreasonable wait times. They will also direct ship parts to you as well. The competition generallly will not.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Can any of you say what kind of details or workmanship make them well built? Thanks.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
Just completed a 5000 mile trip to Utah & Colorado. Our Reflection 27RL had no issues. Nothing come undone, nothing broke and after a very careful detailing and examination it looks like the day we bought it last November. This was the third trip. The first two were under 500 miles. They are well built!! We had a few issues after the first trip and received excellent response from Grand Design and our dealer. Things like we had can be expected on anything new and even our salesman told us to hit the road and then bring it back to allow them to correct any problems. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

4youngs1
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned our 303 for 3 years, and we love it. We've logged over 13,000 miles without any major issue. GD and our dealer have been very easy to deal with.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
L3 wrote:
Congrats Billyray50! How was the delivery? Any issues when you got the rig? I am hoping to look at a 2018 next week.

I am deciding between this and a Montana High Country (yes, I know thems fightin' words for some on here :W ). We just really like the floor plan and where we live it has been our favorite of all the available to look at. Grand Design has a great reputation for standing behind their product but to be fair I have read my share of negative on them as well. All this has been really confusing and frustrating. It seems like whatever I ask about - manufacturer, floor plan, refrigerators, tow vehicles, etc., etc. - I get answers on both sides. I know that is just the way of it and all things are subjective but it makes it really hard to make a decision! ๐Ÿ˜ž

PDI and delivery went well. Had our Grand design for a week now. We will spend 5 1/2 months in this Grand Design a year at our seasonal sight. Have a Truck camper for all of my travels and short trips. So far everything is working great! Only thing was a the entry door screen bracket needed an adjustment. DW wanted this model and layout. High country is a very nice unit. Remember one can read negative comments on every brand of RV. It is a tough decision. Good luck with search.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Reflection 303 and absolutely love it! Much better than most all comparable lines in its class. And if you dig and look long enough, your gonna find negatives on anything. The biggest thing to me is being happy with the layout, price, and dealer.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at toyhaulers but I really liked the Grand Design models we looked at in their Momentum line. They seemed much nicer than other manufacturers. Unfortunately the price tag matched the "much nicer" part, so we went with a lower end model. If we were using our rig for more than just weekends and a few longer trips a year, we would go for something like a Grand Design.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

L3
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Billyray50! How was the delivery? Any issues when you got the rig? I am hoping to look at a 2018 next week.

I am deciding between this and a Montana High Country (yes, I know thems fightin' words for some on here :W ). We just really like the floor plan and where we live it has been our favorite of all the available to look at. Grand Design has a great reputation for standing behind their product but to be fair I have read my share of negative on them as well. All this has been really confusing and frustrating. It seems like whatever I ask about - manufacturer, floor plan, refrigerators, tow vehicles, etc., etc. - I get answers on both sides. I know that is just the way of it and all things are subjective but it makes it really hard to make a decision! ๐Ÿ˜ž

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded our 2016 Jayco Whitehawk TT for a 2018 Grand Design Reflections 367 BHS Fiver. We love it. Love the bathroom (Not two doors)Good quality and design and yes Winnebago liked them so much they paid 500 million for GD.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
We looked at Grand Design before we purchased our current unit. The word is customer service is excellent which is a good thing, The couple things that kept us away from them was we did not care for the bathroom design that is so popular nowadays with the two doors into the bathroom, a waste of valuable space in our opinion. And if memory serves me correctly, the weight rating on the unit we were interested in wasn't very high therefore not leaving us much of a carrying capacity.

The only thing that has me a little nervous about them now is they were bought out recently by Thor I think. Hopefully their customer service remains intact.

Dan

Thor bought out Jayco, GD is now affiliated with Winnebago Industries.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
ChuckV1 wrote:
Thor has bought out Grand Design, Air Stream, jayco, Kz in the last few years, so looking at our Kz Durango Gold and the Grand Design they look allot like each other with switches placed in different places. So it makes you wonder if the different brands are doing the design or Thor Hummmmm

And they sold their dutchman brand to keystone

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We were very interested in GD at the Seattle RV show. Their build quality is better than most but when I looked closer, I found little places where corners were cut - like not putting a pad under the carpet. I found several little things like this.
At the RV show, they had an "engineer" answering questions.. I asked about whether they had considered using "Azdel" siding and he'd never heard of it. I asked if they had luan paneling behind the filon as is the norm (I knew they did because I have thier borchure) and he told me no, there are multiple layers of just fiberglass - no wood. We know for a fact that isn't true.
So the deper we got, the less impressed I was although it's still far superior to the common, middle of the road RV build quality.
In the end, We ended up buying a new Arctic Fox Silver Fox.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were going to get a Grand Design Reflection, when we came across Open Range. We compared similar models of each side by side and though the Reflection is a nice FW, we found more and more advantages to the Open Range. I have not had to deal with their customer service yet, but according to posts on the OpenRangeOwners.com forum it's top notch as well. Jayco bought Open Range 3 years ago and left them alone, but Thor bought Jayco last summer...affects to be seen. We've only taken it on weekend trips twice so far, but we like our Open Range a lot.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights