cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy Duty Tow Vehicle

CenTex
Explorer
Explorer
I made this picture several years ago, I think about 06. I traded the Alumilite in 06 for an 06 Alumascape fiver. I still have the truck. I can also pull the fiver with that truck although I don't do it much. I have another big truck but it has a tandem axle and the distance between the fifth wheel and the back of the truck is such that it prohibits me from pulling with that truck. I am thinking of getting an extra set of rails and mounting them on the extreme rear of the frame so I can mount my puck up mounted fifth wheel on it. That would allow me to pull with that truck too.

The truck and trailer.

A close up of the air ride hitch I was using.

Both trucks.
WITH AGE COMES WISDOM, AS WELL AS LOTS OF ACHES AND PAIN.
14 REPLIES 14

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
CenTex wrote:
The two Fords that I posted pictures of are not primary tow vehicles. I sometimes will use the 67 model to tow the trailer when I am going to a truck show for a place to sleep. My fiver is normally towed with my F-250.

The red Ford is a L900 series isn't it? Might be wrong...
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like a great way to combine two hobbies, camping and tricking out vintage trucks.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

CenTex
Explorer
Explorer
The two Fords that I posted pictures of are not primary tow vehicles. I sometimes will use the 67 model to tow the trailer when I am going to a truck show for a place to sleep. My fiver is normally towed with my F-250.

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
Both trucks in the first post are Fords...I like both, as well.

Tim

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
The chevy is awesome the other 2 not so much. A very awkward set up most of the time. But if another guy likes it and it is his that is a good thing.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

CenTex
Explorer
Explorer
That little mid fifties custom Chevy hauler is a knock out. He put a lot of time and work in that one. The crew cab is all custom. as is the bed. No doubt he has it on a late model chassis.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmmmmm -

If you had posted in the *Tow Vehicle* forum (here) - the "mine is better" crowd might have a tough time coming up with reasons why, LOL!

Agree with - - lots more "appreciation" on the SKPs HDT forum.

~

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
We were parked next to this cool rig at Mohican Ohio a few weeks ago. Owner built from the ground up.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have to use a weight distribution hitch? :B
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
When a dealer tells YOU that you can tow anything on the lot, he's not stretching the truth! 🙂
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
There are a lot of us towing fivers with HDTs. Check out the Escapees HDT forum

No need to be a member to participate.BTW I like the Ford as well!

I will second this on the Escapees HDT forum, that's where I gathered all my info on towing this way, even found a Kenworth with the Smart car for sale there I purchased. Both your trucks are great looking rigs.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of us towing fivers with HDTs. Check out the Escapees HDT forum

No need to be a member to participate.BTW I like the Ford as well!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I like the green & white Ford. What year is it?
It's really cool. 🙂

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have always said you can never have too much truck when it comes to towing. You hit the nail right on the head....TWICE.