cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me understand

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a slider hitch in my 08 6.5 ft. box. For those that do have them, what is the advantage other than then if you have a flat cap on your 5er? I could see the need for one. However, it seems that the round caps seem to compensate for the need for a slider and this is why they came up with the design. These configurations are designed so that you can turn 80 or 90 degrees. My point is, that when you get turned that much, you have lost control of the R.V. no matter your situation. You are now dragging the tires and twisting the frame of you unit. Backing up, you have the same thing except you are pushing hard on your pin, extra hard. You are stuck in that position until you make the reverse move that got you there! So what is the advantage of a slider hitch if you have a configuration that allows you to turn sufficiently in so far that you either have a flat cap with an 8ft box or you have a round cap with a 6.5 ft. box, which it seems in both cases negates the need for a slider hitch? I have used a slider on big trucks but they are designed to distribute weight on the axles of the tractor. I realize the flat cap and a short box a slider would be handy with out a doubt. Given the configurations I mentioned, and the slider is in the forward position while towing, considering that it is the same position of a fixed hitch, What is the advantage to the turn if the slider is supposed to go back to allow a turn with out damage to your TV? I personally prefer to have the towed unit to be as close to me as possible when making turns and if I have to turn that sharp that have no control over the tire slide and frame twist, then I'm in a place I shouldn't be! In which case a slider is of no use. I have no problem with anything some one want to purchase. I just haven't seen the advantage. I don't intend for this to be a bashing post but would like other opinions as to why they are helpful. Just asking. Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
We have a slider hitch and have never used it yet. It is good though knowing we have it if we need it.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
I have no problem with anything some one want to purchase. I just haven't seen the advantage. I don't intend for this to be a bashing post but would like other opinions as to why they are helpful. Just asking. Thanks

One size don't fit all here as each short bed truck/5th wheel trailer combo is different unless they both are the same.

GM has had a longer dimension from the back of the cab to the trucks rear axle and some GM owners have found a sliding hitch wasn't necessary with their particular trailer.

My short bed Dodge requires a sliding hitch with my current trailer. Its not needed making corners on city streets but mostly in tight maneuvering conditions while backing around a corner in a camp ground.
As AUWing says I also like to slide the hitch in the aft position while backing, the trailer reacts quicker with less steering input.

I also have no problem with the trailer being farther behind the truck when the slider is aft. I never tow on the road with the hitch in the aft position.
Non of my trailers have had any issue with sliding the tires sideways while making a 2 point turn or pin box/hitch issues in a 90 degree situation.

Your topic is very long and may ask why do short bed truck owners buy a sliding hitch when its not needed. Good question.
IMO... some fall victim to so many folks telling them they have to have one even though the hitch maker and/or the trailer mfg/dealer say differently.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you ever thought about using paragraphs? Sure would be easier to read.

Jim

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a slider hitch and on flat ground would never have a problem. On uneven ground it's a different story. I was backing uphill into a tight spot and would have hit the back window if the DW hadn't got my attention.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

AUWing
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from preventing unplanned rear window replacement, a slider can improve maneuverability in tight places. I get more use from mine when I remember that sliding it back improves response time when backing into something tight
2014 Jayco 331RETS
Thermal Pane, Auto Level, Fireplace
2011 Silverado 2500HD EC Regular Box D'Max / Allison
Great wife and a good dog

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
I really think the sliders are more useful with a 5' bed more than the 6.5' bed

ngreen
Explorer
Explorer
We had the slider hitch, DH never used the sliding part of it but also has knocked out the back window (once in 10 years of towing) Looking at new tow vehicle and it will cost a lot more to have the slider installed because it causes more holes to be drilled in the bed of the truck. He is going to a new B&W hitch.
Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer,Up in the mountains, down by the ocean,Where don't matter long as we're goin'

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Tom_Diane wrote:
I don't have a slider hitch in my 08 6.5 ft. box. For those that do have them, what is the advantage other than then if you have a flat cap on your 5er? I could see the need for one. However, it seems that the round caps seem to compensate for the need for a slider and this is why they came up with the design. These configurations are designed so that you can turn 80 or 90 degrees. My point is, that when you get turned that much, you have lost control of the R.V. no matter your situation. You are now dragging the tires and twisting the frame of you unit. Backing up, you have the same thing except you are pushing hard on your pin, extra hard. You are stuck in that position until you make the reverse move that got you there! So what is the advantage of a slider hitch if you have a configuration that allows you to turn sufficiently in so far that you either have a flat cap with an 8ft box or you have a round cap with a 6.5 ft. box, which it seems in both cases negates the need for a slider hitch? I have used a slider on big trucks but they are designed to distribute weight on the axles of the tractor. I realize the flat cap and a short box a slider would be handy with out a doubt. Given the configurations I mentioned, and the slider is in the forward position while towing, considering that it is the same position of a fixed hitch, What is the advantage to the turn if the slider is supposed to go back to allow a turn with out damage to your TV? I personally prefer to have the towed unit to be as close to me as possible when making turns and if I have to turn that sharp that have no control over the tire slide and frame twist, then I'm in a place I shouldn't be! In which case a slider is of no use. I have no problem with anything some one want to purchase. I just haven't seen the advantage. I don't intend for this to be a bashing post but would like other opinions as to why they are helpful. Just asking. Thanks

It all depends on your particular setup, whether you need one, or not. My '02 D'max is 4wd and I can NOT hit my flat-front trailer at full lock, left or right, when going forward. I imagine a 2wd might as it probably has a shorter turning radius, but I don't know. ALL trailers will hit when backing up; a slider just gives you a bit more room. If your parking spot, or your favorite camping sites have tight access, then a slider may make it easier for you, but that's just for you. If you only park in pull-throughs and have easy storage access, do you really need a slider? JMO; YMMV...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Without a sliding hitch, If you have a reg cab truck, and rounded corner 5'r, you can hit your truck if you are turning tight on an off camber backing turn. Or if in a forward moving tight U-Turn.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

edhensley
Explorer
Explorer
At some point you will take out the back window of your truck

Then you will have full understanding. It only ever gets used in very tight RV parks