cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Cabinet Access

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from a stool or ladder, anyone have any neat ideas on access to the super high cabinets in these newer toy haulers? My ceilings are like a hundred feet high, and the cabinets go all the way to the top, rendering like 50% of them useless without a stool, which is sketchy at best especially around a 'L' shaped kitchen counter 😮
'18 Jayco Alante 31R
15 REPLIES 15

Dave_Reed
Explorer
Explorer
TWZMYJP wrote:
I've been researching this a bit more, and I've found a couple of pretty neat ideas... Obviously these are geared toward residential cabinetry, but I don't see why that wouldn't work?

***Link Removed***

***Link Removed***

***Link Removed***

I am 6 feet and my wife is 5.5. She can't reach the upper cabinets and I can. I like the rev-a-shelf stuff, but I had another idea. We could get the TV pull down mechanisms and attach the cabinets to that. That way she could pull down the whole cabinet. I understand that this will not help with the upper cabinets in the kitchen area, but it would work with the cabinets in the toy box (garage portion). I am not sure if that helps. Good luck

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
My wife always complains about those cabinets as well. Even at home she says I place everything up too high. She's 5'2 I'm 6"2
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

DuallyMike
Explorer
Explorer
TWZMYJP wrote:
Aside from a stool or ladder, anyone have any neat ideas on access to the super high cabinets in these newer toy haulers? My ceilings are like a hundred feet high, and the cabinets go all the way to the top, rendering like 50% of them useless without a stool, which is sketchy at best especially around a 'L' shaped kitchen counter 😮

Well, since they're 100' high, how about one of those new jet pack things? Husband will probably want to help with kitchen chores if he can strap one of those babies on. Sorry-couldn't help myself. But seriously, small stool or ladder really isn't taking up much room.

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching this a bit more, and I've found a couple of pretty neat ideas... Obviously these are geared toward residential cabinetry, but I don't see why that wouldn't work?

Pull down cabinet shelves

Integrated Cabinet Step

Toe Kick Step Stool
'18 Jayco Alante 31R

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think there should be a minimum height for purchase of a toy hauler kind of like amusement park rides. I'm 6'3" so I can ride all I like.

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a step stool as well for my wife and the kids.

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
I have one of those folding 2 step stools. Only way I can get to mine.

Same here, it's worked well so far. We only have a couple shelves that my 5'03" wife can't reach unless I put my 6' step ladder in there, so we put stuff in there we rarely use. With a toy hauler it's easy to store. We just lay it under the atv's in the garage.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Now for a real suggestion. What about a clamp type reacher, like this.
reacher
This is from a Canadian website that has products for people with "aging/mobility problems". There are likely similar companies in the USA.Even try a dollar store one to see if the idea works.

Bedlam, you are showing OUR ages with Klinger and Kiss:D
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Bedlam
At least you didn’t suggest wearing high heals or platform shoes - You would have dress like Klinger or Kiss to to get away with that.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Take along an NBA player to do your reaching:B
You wanted alternatives.
Back to being my smarta$$ed self.
Enjoy
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Bedlam
I have an 8' reach that gets me into most of the upper cabinets. My wife has me to reach up there, so a step ladder was never needed. I do carry a folding step stool for the things I cannot reach outside - Anything higher, I tackled from the roof.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 5'3" so I have this problem 🙂 We have a lightweight 3 step stepstool we keep handy when parked. Also, I don't store anything real heavy towards the top... either plastic drinkware or food. On our last long trip, where we were parked for a week, I actually set up a card table in a corner of the garage and brought down all my food from up there... sort of an open-air pantry if you will, to avoid having to use the stepladder that often throughout the day.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
That's been one of our complaints about toy haulers for quite some time, plus the fact they are usually only about 7-8 inches deep! We tend to minimize what we put in them but we also carry a 2 step stool with use to use to get stuff out of them.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
I have one of those folding 2 step stools. Only way I can get to mine.

Same here and I'm 6'1". 9'1" floor to ceiling.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu