cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch angle availabe?

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Just curious from a TT owner who thinks every year about this time we need to gain more space.

With a slanted driveway, and having no problems backing up it with my 35'er, how much angle can i expect a 5th wheel hitch to have?

My conncern obviously my TV being in the level street, anf the 5er up at an angle, being able hookup and unhook, and not causing equipment harm to anything in the process.

Correct, i dont know much about the 5th wheel setup.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
9 REPLIES 9

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Bed clearance should only be a problem if his driveway slops down vs up from street.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Also have to consider the distance between rear stabilizers and ground. We have same condition as OP. Old truck, no prob w/ rear stabs. New truck, stabs were closer to ground (less clearance). Lowered the RV susp 1 hole and now have good gap at stabs. A 4-way head on hitch helps a lot as well.

Are you talking about the 2 hydraulic stabilizers up front?

Just curious on thoes as well, how do they compare with an electric tongue jack as far as strength and lifting capacity?

No, the 2 rear stabilizers, They will be going up the driveway 1st if you will and as you back off the street, they will be closest until camper tires start up the driveway. All the while this is happening and as others have pointed out, the underside of front of 5er will start to tilt in relation to angle of truck on street, camper on driveway thus creating a temp loss of clearance or gap between top of box and underside of 5er.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:
great points. i hadn't even considered clearance issues with the bed.

i appreciate your help.

The bed to front of 5th clearance issue is your major concern -
when tow vehicle starts up or down (or vice-versa, if backing)

Bed clearance *can* be increased a bit, but not seeing your situation -
a friend with a 5th giving it a test (or offering his on-site opinion) would be helpful.

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
ACZL wrote:
Also have to consider the distance between rear stabilizers and ground. We have same condition as OP. Old truck, no prob w/ rear stabs. New truck, stabs were closer to ground (less clearance). Lowered the RV susp 1 hole and now have good gap at stabs. A 4-way head on hitch helps a lot as well.

Are you talking about the 2 hydraulic stabilizers up front?

Just curious on thoes as well, how do they compare with an electric tongue jack as far as strength and lifting capacity?
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
great points. i hadn't even considered clearance issues with the bed.

i appreciate your help.
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
I have only owned a B&W hitch, so I can't say for other brands. My hitch has quite a bit of pivot front to back and side to side.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Unless it is a severe slope you should not have a problem. The 5er hitches have quite a bit of tilt to them. And if the front of the 5er is up on the slope of the driveway, the rear tires of the truck will also be on that slope as you hook up, reducing the angle. The king pin will be located above or slightly in front of the rear axle.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's just geometry and will vary by hitch brand and track model. Assuming there is a 6-8 inch clearance between the top of the truck bed and the bottom of the fifth wheel, then you can calculate the angle from the hitch pivot point to the far end of the top of the truck bed.

You have two sides of the triangle, the clearance is one and the distance from the pivot point to the end of the bed is the other. You'll need to measure the distance from the bottom of the fiver over the pivot to the end of the truck bed.It will be an obtuse triangle and given the three sides you can calculate the angles.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper