cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Problems

CenTex
Explorer
Explorer
We just made a trip from Central Texas to Florida for about a week and then back home. The trip went well except for the unforgiving traffic. Going east in Louisiana the traffic came to a complete stand still about five miles west of the Mississippi river bridge at Baton Rouge. We sat there or moved along in first gear for an hour and a half until it finally broke up. It was some kind of construction. By the time we got to the point where the construction was going on there was no one there left working. We moved pretty good until we got about eight miles from the I-12, I-10, I-59 split at Slidell. Once again it came to a complete halt. We were in that jam for three hours, we finally got off I-12 at US hwy. 11 and went south to Alt. US 190 and then to US 190 and over to US 90 until we crossed the Mississippi line and then back north to I-10 to get around the mess. The traffic was heavier than normal on I-10 and I 12 all the way across from Texas to Florida. I think from now on we will just go west and north west out of Central Texas, its a lot less traffic.
WITH AGE COMES WISDOM, AS WELL AS LOTS OF ACHES AND PAIN.
12 REPLIES 12

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well traffic is every where nowadays! If you are on a limited time schedule to get where you are going the Interstates between major cites is likely your best bet, getting through the metropolitan area then is a choice of back roads or stick with the interstate. Going to back roads might or might not save time, but might be more relaxing!!
I had a commute years ago that if traffic was backed up at all, I would take a a surface street at a speed limit of 25 mph. Did I save time I really don't think so, was it less stressful Darn sure!!

PS: To those in the NW, Bellevue to Puyallup commute, I405 SB Kenneydale hill!! Took Lake Washington Blvd. If the Valley FW was bad, West Valley highway!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
You nailed it, going thru Atlanta, yea I should have known better, but it was Saturday, twice we got nailed in traffic tie ups! On I 75 four lanes into two, 16 miles of two lane interstate, and there was actual construction for about ¼ mile! Then again on 285, five lanes down to two, and oh yea the left lane was a turn only lane! And, there was no one working, only barriers laid out! At least in FLA they add tempoary lanes when they do construction, it is slow but not dead stop!

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
That's another reason why we avoid interstates at all costs now .... for some time now ... that and the tailgaters, horrendus speed, and darn bumpy raods!
Just got back last Tue. from a 2625 mile 8 day round trip to Rapid City,S.D. Used all interstates on way out as we were in a hurry. Yes there was some construction but no real bad delays. Only real tailgaters and speeders were on I-65 to Indy from US-50, but that is normal. We used a lot of two lanes on way home which took us thru a lot of miles of nothing, but open range land(over 400 miles worth in Neb.) and very few towns for help if for some reason we would have a break down.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I crossed the bridge in Baton Rouge daily for over 20 years. It has been bad for a long time and is getting worse. For the past 8 years we have had a Governor who looked at the highway fund as his personal piggy bank. Unfortunately most of his travel is out of state as he has been running for Prez now for 8 years. Please vote for him. Lord knows each vote he gets cost the La. taxpayers a fortune and we would like to see our money bought something. As Prez I am sure he wll do the same things for the USA as he has done for the state.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
CenTex wrote:
We just made a trip from Central Texas to Florida for about a week and then back home. The trip went well except for the unforgiving traffic. Going east in Louisiana the traffic came to a complete stand still about five miles west of the Mississippi river bridge at Baton Rouge. We sat there or moved along in first gear for an hour and a half until it finally broke up. It was some kind of construction. By the time we got to the point where the construction was going on there was no one there left working. We moved pretty good until we got about eight miles from the I-12, I-10, I-59 split at Slidell. Once again it came to a complete halt. We were in that jam for three hours, we finally got off I-12 at US hwy. 11 and went south to Alt. US 190 and then to US 190 and over to US 90 until we crossed the Mississippi line and then back north to I-10 to get around the mess. The traffic was heavier than normal on I-10 and I 12 all the way across from Texas to Florida. I think from now on we will just go west and north west out of Central Texas, its a lot less traffic.

Go West to the "other" LA.....in So. CA.

LOTs of alternate routes - *ALL* bad (really bad) during most daytime hours, and "parking lot" status for freeways during rush hour/s!..:(

And of course that isn't limited to the Los Angeles area.
N-E-S-W for miles around.

To go thru the So. CA area - we launch in wee hours of the AM.
(and plan for same on returning)..;)

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
plan you trip through Baton Rouge at off peak times, use an app like google maps with the traffic turned on.

Trying living here all the time...its getting worse because we are growing and the roads stay the same.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I just expect delays in Baton Rouge. If it not construction, it is an accident. But I usually take US 190.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
This is where an old school paper map comes in handy to find out where US 90 is above / north or below / south of I-10 and if there are any rivers without bridges in your way. The paper maps can tell you a lot faster if you should head north or south at any particular exit.

We use our GPS to check on traffic ahead of us and keep an eye on the semi's. When all the semi's start taking an exit, follow them.

Or drive at night.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
romore wrote:
We try to avoid interstates and major cities for that very reason. When we lived at the coast the only practical way south was I-5 through Seattle and Portland, I hated it.

Well a route just a bit better is to take 405 through Bellevue, then 167 south then catch 512 in Puyallup to I5 this will by-pass Seattle and Tacoma.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We try to avoid interstates and major cities for that very reason. When we lived at the coast the only practical way south was I-5 through Seattle and Portland, I hated it.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just drove thru Louisiana on I-10/I-12 a few days ago and yes we hit a couple of minor traffic jams. I always expect some delay, major or minor in going thru that state. I recall one massive delay at the Mississippi bridge on I-10, it took us an hour to go less than a mile. When we finally got across the bridge the source of the delay was revealed, one worker hand painting traffic markings on the east side of the bridge pavement.

The problem with going off the Interstate in Louisiana is the terrible condition of the road system in that state. Having driven in 49 of the states I'd have to rank LA at the bottom when it comes to road maintenance. Even the Interstates are in poor condition.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
That's another reason why we avoid interstates at all costs now .... for some time now ... that and the tailgaters, horrendus speed, and darn bumpy raods!