cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitchhiker fith wheel tire wear

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor made a trip to Iowa this summer. When he returned, he showed me how his tires were worn.....all four on the inner most tread. My opinion is the camber is out on the axles. Possible causes....I'm thinking maybe weight.

I know there are folks on here with experience in this area. What say ye?
Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK
9 REPLIES 9

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
SlickWillie wrote:
My neighbor made a trip to Iowa this summer. When he returned, he showed me how his tires were worn.....all four on the inner most tread. My opinion is the camber is out on the axles. Possible causes....I'm thinking maybe weight.

I agree with you, most likely a camber issue, though could be any number of other issues, as said above. He needs to take it to a heavy trailer shop to have it checked, not an automotive shop.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Our GY614 s wore inside as well ,was due to the spring eye bolts had wore through.Installed a complete wet bolt kit,no more issues.

Drifter1959
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly caused by out of alignment. He should have them aligned asap. I had mine aligned two weeks ago and they were out to the point that my new Sailun G's would've started to show premature wear.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually 4X4, RAM Puck w/ Demco Hijacker 21K Autoslide, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4.10's, 51 Gal Midship Titan Fuel Tank.
Wagon: 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We had Sumitomo 17.5 tires, hydraulic brakes, and Moryde IS suspension. The tires wore unevenly and it was simply an alignment issue. We replaced the tires after alignment with Goodyear G114's and have had no issue since then. By the way, we were told that the Sumitomo tire wear was normal (it was not).
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just replaced tires on my HH after 5 years and probably 40 or 50k miles. No unusual wear.
Larry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a HitchHiker 5th wheel with G614s.....

Tires at 105 psi and wear is smooth/even across threads (2 sets)

Inner tire wear on a trailer........
Overweight
Flattened leaf springs
Alignment

ALL 4 tires....
Really need to get weighed and check those leaf springs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SlickWillie wrote:

What kind of tire and size? IF they are G-614's , it could be a normal thing called shoulder step, which is quite common . . Without more info, it's kind of hard to guess
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
I know that NuWa had 5th wheels aligned at their local automotive dealer when they were producing 5th wheels. (Think very small town in Kansas.) We had what we thought was unusual tire wear and took it to Moryde to have it aligned (and to have our IS suspension checked out). It was simply out of alignment. Since we had an alignment done, we have not had any more issues.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
If only the inner shoulder, it sounds like alignment rather than under-inflation. First, have your friend head to the nearest CAT scales and weigh the trailer to find out what's actually on the axles. If overweight, fix that first. Next, find a Hunter-equipped truck/trailer alignment shop and have the alignment checked. If these are solid axles, bending or replacing the axles will be required to correct any alignment issues.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015