cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda Generator

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone explain how the Honda generators work? As I understand it one generator will let us operate smaller electrical appliances, but if we want to operate larger appliances like A/C we need two units. Those two units are different from each other as I think. Do you know the exact model numbers etc. and what can be done with one generator and what can be done with two?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
26 REPLIES 26

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I welcome any input and thoughts to this article on generators:
https://learntorv.com/generators
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Dan50 wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:

The big drawback to Yamaha for me is no fuel pump so I can't use an extended run gas tank.

I purchased this extended run kit that includes its own pump for my Yamaha 2400is from this guy, He seems to have them for all Yamaha generators.

https://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/product/extended-run-time-remote-auxiliary-fuel-tank-kit-for-yamaha-ef2400ishc-generator/

I dont know if it is a drawback or not but but Yamaha has a smaller engine
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Honda EU2000, new in the box off of Craig's list. Thanks for your help.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Dan50
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:

The big drawback to Yamaha for me is no fuel pump so I can't use an extended run gas tank.

I purchased this extended run kit that includes its own pump for my Yamaha 2400is from this guy, He seems to have them for all Yamaha generators.

https://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/product/extended-run-time-remote-auxiliary-fuel-tank-kit-for-yamaha-ef2400ishc-generator/
Dan
2014 Ram SLT CC LB 4X4 Cummins Dually
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
All the same problems as leaving it in the truck bed. Maybe even worse if you use a storage facility. I don't, we park it at home, but I still would not want it hanging out back all the time. It would be a little easier to load though, so the idea has that going for it.

It's all just theory for me anyway, since we don't camp where we would need A/C, and we don't even have the companion unit, plus our solar supplies everything we need. But I really like having the small 2k genny out of sight/out of mind in the basement.

Well our new to us TT has a cargo rack and my plan is to put the Champion 3500/4000 inverter on that and build a 1/4 inch plywood box to cover it in route or when it isn't being used. Plus a 5 gal gas can and misc supplies like oil and funnels.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
sure two of the honda eu2000-eu2200 are light weight, but also easier to just "walk away". not easy to bolt down, and cables can be cut easily.
and for my small rv a eu2000 was not enough for my needs (no solar).
i do like my honda eu 3000. was very easy to bolt down. setting it up now with extended fuel and remote start. none of any others offer such.(true a way to add a extended fuel to a honda eu2000, eu2200?).
sure these items are a add on from after market, but all the other offerings combined do not even equal the numbers of eu3000 sold. so i doubt anyone is going to bother making such for them.
and only time will tell if any others have the ability to survive as hondas do.
my eu3000 sat 10 months just sitting out in the weather with only a blue tarp over it, started on the first pull (was just rotating the motor), and had a tree fall on it, no damage.
but then i only need 30 amp max, so i am golden.

next rv????

it would be great if as others have said about honda making true rv styled generators.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you've got the bucks and the know-how, paralleling 3 eu2000s is pretty sweet. Starting/running an air con barely makes a dent in their sound. And if you have any problems at all with one, 2 work just fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I think the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Unless carrying weight is the major issue, I don't understand why one wouldn't buy 1, larger generator as it would/should be cheaper.

Carrying weight is the issue; that's why people buy 2 Honda 2200s as opposed to one 3500W or bigger. To the OP- remember- Harbor Freight is just that- great for cheap tools, but I don't know about their generators. Just do lots of research. All the other generators out there are "almost" as good as a Honda...

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
All the same problems as leaving it in the truck bed. Maybe even worse if you use a storage facility. I don't, we park it at home, but I still would not want it hanging out back all the time. It would be a little easier to load though, so the idea has that going for it.

It's all just theory for me anyway, since we don't camp where we would need A/C, and we don't even have the companion unit, plus our solar supplies everything we need. But I really like having the small 2k genny out of sight/out of mind in the basement.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cargo rack on the back bumper will hold a Honda 3000 and a 5 gal gas can, easily. < 200 lbs and you don't need to move the genny; just bolt it down.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
I think the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Unless carrying weight is the major issue, I don't understand why one wouldn't buy 1, larger generator as it would/should be cheaper.

Weight. Not a problem for the truck, big problem for my back. Unless you leave it in your truck bed all the time, but that doesn't work for me for a number of reasons. Sure would be nice to have electric start though.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
The thing I like about the Honda 3500 generators is that they have =much= larger tanks than the 2000s, so will run several hours longer than the 2000s. My brother gave me a Wen 2000 for my b-day last year, but I traded it in for a Champion 2000. Has much better specs, overall, than the Wen. Couple things I can't figure out, though. Why doesn't anyone make a 4500-5000w inverter (at least that I can find)? Honda jumps from 3500 to 7k! Yamaha has one that's 4k+, but it uses a constant speed engine, so isn't nearly as efficient. Another thing I can't figure out is why Onan hasn't jumped onto the inverter bandwagon? Corollary is why haven't Honda/Yamaha/Champion/ect., jumped onto the "genpac" wagon and make self-contained genpacs to fit RVs like Onan does? Absolute no-brainer, if you ask me.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Doesn't Yamaha make/sell genny's as well?

Yes they cost slightly more than Honda's last time I looked, they are excellent quality but very pricey. I suspect Honda and Yamaha will have to drop their prices sooner or later.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We have two (which can be paired) Honda 2000’s. Most of the time we only use one! Having two gives us the option of running both for ac use, a spare in the unlikely event one fails. Plus, as we have very rural acreage, they often get used to power stuff around the place!

Yes, two Honda’s are expensive, but....they’re a proven performer!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl