cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horizontal Swinging Doors

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
I have horizontal swinging doors on my 5'er basement. Does anyone have a suggestion on an application to secure the doors in the open position?
I really don't want to screw anything into the side of the trailer if I don't have to but I really need to stop the doors from slamming back against me when I'm loading and unloading. I've thought about ripping them off the hinges a few times but that's not going to work either LOL!!
Thanks for any ideas!!
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.
12 REPLIES 12

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder why they didn't just install a magnet holder like they did on the doors that open upwards.

That would make too much sense!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
The door on my drivers side pass through is like this and it's where all my connections and level control pad is of course. I just bungy it around the front corner to a latch on the front storage door. Works great on mine. Wonder why they didn't just install a magnet holder like they did on the doors that open upwards.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
alboy wrote:
There is a stick on clip with 2 small screws available in a plastic or stainless look ,have had them on my newmar for years,neat ,look good and work.

Sounds like the same ones that came on my 04 hitchhiker. They work fine, I did need to replace them after about 5 years.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

outlaw85
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has these- Baggage door clip

Or if you prefer metal- Baggage door clip in metal

I've never used the site/company so I can't comment if ordering through them. They were just the first in my search.
2006 F350 DRW Towboss 6.0PSD
2011 Keystone Laredo 321BH
RIP-1997 Damon Challenger 30 RK

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your ideas!!!
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
I have similar doors on my rig and the manufacturer installed the t-catches, I never use the the doors usually stay open and i have a tendency to forget to unlatch them. PS I hate the up swing doors, I always bang my head on them.:-)
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Assuming your doors will open all of the way. You will have to use screws to install, but some sealant will take care of that.

Amazon 4" RV door holders.

Bill

I used what Bill said in a stainless steel version. I had to mount mine so that it left room for my gas water heater to vent without burning the door.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
There is a stick on clip with 2 small screws available in a plastic or stainless look ,have had them on my newmar for years,neat ,look good and work.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a cabinet hinge that will hold a door at a certain point. The install would be entirely inside the storage area and mounted to inside the door.
Second option - one of those little gas pistons that would accomplish the same thing, with the install being inside. Not sure the gas piston is a viable option as it would limit the swing of the door.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Not the best idea but TV Grips might work; two sticky pads on either end of the strap with a buckle in the middle.
I really like the hook and eye arrangement with the hook on the wall; not on the door which might swing back and forth and leave a mark on the paint/stain.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
My son pointed that same problem albeit in another form while at local RV show here this past March on a Cedar Creek Silverback. What he saw was the fact that if you have the picnic table under the awning and you wanted to get into the basement, anyone sitting there or anything in the way of door would have to move in oder to open it. WTH? Asked the factory rep why and he really couldn't come up w/ a good answer. Told him that the Creek line isn't this way, they open upwards. And just last Fri, I spoke w/ CC factory and asked them the same question and their reply was: "Awnings are nothing more than sunshades" (per awning mfr). Then why the heck have them if you can't put a table under them? Plus on some 5ers, it's right under the escape window so not as far to ground (IMO). Opening sideways on basement doors is truly a P poor design.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming your doors will open all of the way. You will have to use screws to install, but some sealant will take care of that.

Amazon 4" RV door holders.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.