cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water just stopped flowing

Sarasota50
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone suggest what may be the problem with my hot water system.The hot water tank is working in that it has water and it is hot, the problem is the water has stopped flowing from the tank to the taps. The cold water system is working just fine but the hot water problem has me puzzled ??
10 REPLIES 10

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Frozen line somewhere?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
My bi-pass lever is under the sink almost on the floor where you put all your stuff. No matter how much I tell them NOT to put stuff around the lever......at least once a year it gets pushed into the closed position. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
This happened to me this summer. I was surprised how common this problem is. My problem was the check valve was seized on and I was afraid of breaking something getting it off. So I ended up gutting it with a small screw driver.

If you go this route you will need to add a shut off valve to winterize.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the by-pass valve is in the wrong position. Check to make sure it is set to allow water to flow into the tank.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
azjeffh wrote:
If you have an outside shower make sure both hold and cold valves are turned off.

That wont keep the hot water from flowing. Just makes for a tepid shower.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an outside shower make sure both hold and cold valves are turned off.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Whew, lots of good answers there! :B

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
check valve failure

Cool_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
There is a check valve on the hot water outlet that has failed. I recently replaced mine with a brass one.
'05 Day Dreamer by Cedar Creek
2011 F250 PSD CC

You can lead a horse to water.
You cannot make it drink.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sometimes the check valve on the output of the WH has problems and blocks the flow.