cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast do you tow?

houtrz
Explorer
Explorer
Today while driving home from work a truck towing about a 36 foot fifth wheel blew by me. I was already going 75 so I sped up and followed him for about three miles. I was pacing him at between 87-93 depending on him slowing down for cars of which he basically pushed out of the way.

Obviously that was excessive but even at a fast speed what is considered ok and
what would you have done if this guy blew by you on the freeway
125 REPLIES 125

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks understand reaction times and physics. Others don't want to know.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Brockinfla wrote:
It's a miracle any of you enjoy any **** thing as much as you worry about what others are doing or think.

You guys could create an Internet black hole Hawking couldn't explain. Just start a single thread on towing speed, best fifth wheel hitch, to rear cap or not rear cap, LT or ST China bomb tires, or picking your nose after dumping a black tank without nitril gloves.

Lol

LOL you forgot truck brands and gas vs diesel.

Brockinfla
Explorer
Explorer
It's a miracle any of you enjoy any **** thing as much as you worry about what others are doing or think.

You guys could create an Internet black hole Hawking couldn't explain. Just start a single thread on towing speed, best fifth wheel hitch, to rear cap or not rear cap, LT or ST China bomb tires, or picking your nose after dumping a black tank without nitril gloves.

Lol

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
65 is fast enough for anyone towing a heavy rig that can't stop or maneuver worth a darn. It takes twice as far to stop from 80 than 60. 80 is great if you like being a projectile with no options.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
kennethwooster wrote:
65 is fast enough for us. Use to drive speed limit like 70 t0 75. DW and I determined 65 was enough for us. My truck could easily pull at 85 to 90. Thank would be insane. Not to mention the fuel economy.. Lets be safe and get there safely.

Just for clarification. 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
65 is fast enough. Use to drive speed limit like 70 t0 75. DW and I determined 65 was enough. My truck could easily pull at 85 to 90. Thank would be insane. Not to mention the fuel economy.. Lets be safe and get there safely.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Uh, isn't using a cell phone while driving illegal in Arizona?

If not it should be, I'm more concerned with cell phone users than speeders. They tend to do much dumber things while trying to use a cell phone while driving.

No. Have hands-free, anyway. Texting is a no-no in Tempe, but that's full of air-head college students, so even before cell phones it was an "adventure" to drive there. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Uh, isn't using a cell phone while driving illegal in Arizona?

If not it should be, I'm more concerned with cell phone users than speeders. They tend to do much dumber things while trying to use a cell phone while driving.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Please stay in Arizona, don't need any self-appointed "Speed Police" around here. Exceeding the speed limit is not "driving like an idiot". Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean anything.

Since you're a rider...

A few years ago, I was heading home from work on the Loop 101 in Scottsdale. Guy on a bike is running about 80-85 in the HOV lane, weaving in and out. Gets a clear stretch and pops a wheelie for about 200 yards, passing an overpass. As I'm reaching for my phone to dial 911, out pops a DPS motor officer and chases him down. Pulls him over about 3/4 mile down the road and, just as I'm passing, the officer rips his helmet off, slams it down on his seat, walks up to the moron, sticks a finger in his face and starts giving him hell. I'm laughing my ass off as I creep by at 35, as are people around me. I'm hoping that at least 2 tickets were issued, if not more. Legally, the moron could have been arrested for felony speed, at minimum.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Please stay in Arizona, don't need any self-appointed "Speed Police" around here. Exceeding the speed limit is not "driving like an idiot". Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean anything.

X3
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Snip...Doesn't change what I said. People are going to drive where they feel comfortable, regardless of law or opinion. I for one rarely even look at the speedometer, I could care less what it says. I just watch traffic in front and what the road is doing.

People usually are feeling comfortable up to about 3 seconds before everything goes south. "Feeling comfortable" has nothing to do with anything.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Called on a dually towing another truck on a trailer- passed me (I was doing 65) on a 4 lane mountain pass and he was weaving/swaying so badly I though he had gone over the bank - I was just following skid marks after I lost sight. Police met him at the next town. Some people are a danger to themselves and everyone on the road. You bet I'll call on those. I don't exceed the speed rating of my trailer tires or the limit - whatever comes first -unless it is dangerous to slow down. I admit 55 in cali is a challenge- at times I had to clock 5 over or be run over. Rage driving rv haters are everywhere now.

firstime_rver
Explorer
Explorer
I actually like to have people pass me.. especially If I'm pushing the speed limit by a few MPH. They go ahead and flush the smokies out of the bushes.. Having said that I have called 911 two times. Once when I observed a guy going south in the northbound lane on the NJ Garden State Pkwy, and another time when someone obviously impaired was weaving across all 4 lanes of the NJ Tpk..

Stay safe and share the road..
Pat & Barb
2015 4.3L Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with towing package
2016 Aspen trail 1900RB

Fabguy
Explorer
Explorer
I am never in a hurry to get anywhere so as long as I can drive faster than I can walk, I am good with it.
Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Pullrite Superglide
Pulling a 2015 Keystone Cougar 280RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I honestly think that pulling a 5th wheel, or any trailer and that includes semi's, at 87-93 mph is extremely foolish. However I consider texting and driving much more dangerous, and almost certainly causes many more accidents, but I don't call the police on those either. If I carried a phone, I most likely would call about an obviously impaired driver, but people driving too fast...not very likely.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"