cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many pounds in your air bags?

NorthernNeck_VA
Explorer
Explorer
How many pounds are people inflating their air bags up to prior to hooking up to your fifth wheel?

Just curious.

Thanks in advance.
Jimmy & Kathy
Northern Neck, VA.
2013 Landmark San Antonio
2016 F350
2005 Ford F350, DRW, Diesel (SOLD)
2005 King of the Road "Royal Villa" 34BW (SOLD)

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."
39 REPLIES 39

buckdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
You may think I'm way off but on my short bed Ram 2500 I fill my Airlift 5000 to 90psi. Why? I measure distance from top of my wheel well to ground before hooking up then after. It took that much air to keep from squatting. At that psi I have good control & no "light" feel to the steering wheel. Kinda scary if you come off an overpass then feel like there's no control at your steering wheel.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
for me it is 30 to 40 lbs depending on the extra load in the truck and trailer front. I usually start at 40 the night before a trip with my other pre trip checks. Hook up and then re check and let just enough out until the over load springs start to make contact. Unit is pretty level. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

DKRITTER
Explorer
Explorer
I have Firestone's on the truck and I put between 10 and 15 PSI in them when hooking up depending on how loaded I am.

The Goose Box runs between 40 and 50 for the same reason.
2015 F350 CC SRW LB
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My last FR Product)
20,000lb Reese Goose Box

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
PMiller228 wrote:
I'm interested in this too b/c I am about to install a set of the Firestone air bags on my truck.

Do yourself a favor and check out the Air Lift bags before getting the Firestones. I have had both and find the Air Lifts to be higher quality.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

alaska511
Explorer
Explorer
30 PSI after hook up

2017 Wildcat Maxx 295
2015 Silverado LTZ Duramax/Allison

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will have to figure out your specific needs.

20 before hook up puts me level.

Once I found my sweet spot i never check it after hook up.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I kept air bags on all of my 4wd one ton DRW trucks (6) in commercial service due to sagging when loaded.
The 2wd trucks sat tail high when empty so when loaded they looked level.
We didn't use more than 30-35 psi for a level look.

You might check out our truck camper forum as some of those folks carry 4k-6k campers in the bed and use air bags. You may also find a cracked the main frame rail thread or two when the owner used higher psi numbers to level the truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
50# loaded, 20# no fifthwheel.

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
I've Firestone bags on our new/used F350 and I've never put more than 20 lbs in them. It's all about how much pin weight I've got and nothing else. If I'm going on a dry camping trip with a full fresh tank (it's in the back), its only a couple pounds so the bags won't get pinched. That's all I leave it them when not towing.

What I do is wait until everything's loaded and I'm hooked up & ready to leave. I then go to the front of my truck and look down the side to the rear of the Monty. If there's a sag, I'll add some air, otherwise not.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Ram 3500 4 x4 Megacab towing Alpine 13.5 k 5ver I run ten psi empty and fifty psi towing and 5ver is level.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
30-35 lbs. after hooking up.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
When i had our 06 3500 Ram, 24/26 lbs loaded 3000 pin wt,i liked it sitting on the overloads,provided a more stable ride in cornering.

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
I have found I like the ride of the truck best at 45 pounds.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Put in 30lbs before I hook up and that is usually good but a couple of times I did it after hooking up and set them at 50 psi.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

CardinalCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Firestone Air Bags 25-30 lbs.
AirSafe 25k Hitch 65-70 lbs.
Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.