Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to know bridge clearances on route?

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

What (map?) resources do folks use to determine whether the bridges on one's route has adequate clearance?

Thanks,
Bill
26 REPLIES 26

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning on buying a 5er this Fall, but I also have a 18" sea kayak that I'd like some way to transport so i could keep it. One top of the 5er..(?) .. that will be pretty high, but if it's do-able... I'm may be crazy enough to try.

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking also about a better way to have advance notice of low clearance.

I have a TT now (11'6") and am buying a FW (expected height 13'5").

On three recent trips I came across low clearance bridges (less than 13'5") that had signs posted too late to easily turn around.

On one road, it is 4 lane divided with the height clearance sign just before the bridge and the grass median is too deep and not level enough to to do a U turn.

On another road, I-87 north of Albany - exit 30, at the bottom of the exit ramp, ready to do a left turn under the highway, the bridge height sign is too far off to be read. So I turn left (with my 11'6" TT) and as I get close enough to read the sign I see the height is 12'9". So I wonder if I was pulling a 13'5" FW could I do a U turn here?

I think Co-Pilot has a height setting of 13'0". That is not good enough for a 13'5" FW.

The Rand McNally RVND 7730 does not work with a free standing bean bag mount without using an unreliable suction cup. So, that is out.

The best choice, from what I can find so far is a Garmin RV 760LMT or RV 660LMT.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I just watch for the signs. Our rig is only 12'-2", and I think I have only ever seen one bridge that we would not have made it under. And it was super obvious.

I worry more about older gas station canopies, which are not always well marked. And no 3rd party resources for things like that. I've gotten out and looked many times.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
for planning at home

Good Sam's Trip Planner features tools and information designed to help you have the best road trip - every time. When planning RV or car trips, you can make use of:

Point-to-point trip planning
Research and add Good Sam Parks to your route
Search thousands of Points of Interest and add to your route
Calculate fuel costs and travel time
Options include avoiding highways and/or tolls
Use RV travel filters to see low clearance and tunnel warnings
Download trips to your Good Sam GPS

it is free
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sch911 wrote:
I go old school. Keep my eyes open for the signs. They always have signs!

Unless the signs are wrong! Not uncommon for roads to be re-paved, adding several inches of new over old pavement, and the signs not to be updated. That 4" clearance you had before just became ZERO clearance! One tip, that I've seen posted any number of times, is to try and move to the center of a bridge, as that's where clearance will be the highest; stay out of the curb lanes whenever you think you'll be close.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at any truck Stop and buy a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. It will list all low clearances by state in numerical sequence. It will also list those routes that restrict truck usage thus a good hint it might not be a good idea to use that route with a large 5th wheel camper.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
In normal day to day driving from place to place being faced with a bridge less than what is needed for a semi is highly unlikely.

Yes, there are a few covered bridges on very minor roads. There are also low RR bridges but these are very rare & all of them have signs with the clearance. Not many 5ers are over 13' 6".

Like sch911 says, keep eyes open.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I go old school. Keep my eyes open for the signs. They always have signs!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the excellent information. I figured there had to be answers out there.

Dandy Dan, I'm not familiar with the Rand McNally 7735. Is that a map, or a module? What does the 7735 represent?

Thanks,
Bill

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bill001 wrote:
Hi,

What (map?) resources do folks use to determine whether the bridges on one's route has adequate clearance?

Thanks,
Bill

Lowclearances.com has a database called Route-1 you can buy that you can install as a POI d.b. in many common GPS units, a number of common mapping apps, (including Google Earth) and various phone apps. For $75 you get their entire U.S. and Canadian d.b. with lifetime updates. The largest d.b. of its kind, so they claim, with nearly 6,000 low clearances listed. No, I don't work for 'em, but I'm a very interested potential customer looking at this when I get my new, taller, FW. ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, there are several "trucker" books and apps that do the same thing as well as RV-specific GPS units that have these built in to their d.b. From what I've read, Route-1 seems to have many more datapoints, though.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Rand McNally 7735 which has a car setting and a RV setting. In the RV setting it will warn you about low bridges and it can also be set to bypass any low bridges. It asks your height,length,amount of propane and gives you selections for type of roads you wish to travel I have been using the Rand McNally for going on 4 years and it hasn't steered me wrong.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
For me, I've just purchased a Garmin RV760LMT gps. It has the RV selection that is supposed to avoid low bridges and such. Haven't used it for that yet but have heard decent reports about it. I like the unit itself so far.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL