cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am new to rv's Fiberglass vs metal siding

250rwitha7_3
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to a lot of Rv features, and I am trying to figure out what exactly I want before purchasing one. I like to keep things for a long time, so I want to make sure I get what's best for me for the long haul.

First question is fiberglass vs metal siding? What are the pros and cons of each?

I am looking for a 5th wheel toy hauler and am narrowing down to sierra sport and weekend warrior. Looking for one 28-32ft without a garage. Are there other makes I should also be looking at?

Tandem vs triple axle? I just look at triple axle is 2 more tires to replace?

I feel like I am clueless. I have a f250 with a 7.3 powerstroke for a tow vehicle.
15 REPLIES 15

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Most alum sided RVs I do believe are wood const in the side wall where as RVs with fiberglass exterior usually have alum studs in side walls.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

250rwitha7_3
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Not sure what you mean by toy hauler without a garage. That is typically what defines a toy hauler.

Number of axles is about weight, though newer rigs you heavier axles and tires to keep down to twin axles. The trade off is this is where you read stories of blow outs. Those heavy duty trailer tires are produced in small batches and then ran near their limits, so quality control is harder. Realistically, you don't get to pick the number of axles. The number of axles the trailer comes with is the number of axles. You don't get to add an extra.

What I mean by no garage is for the toy hauler to be all open and not have a wall from the kitchen to the garage with a door.

From what I have read some trailers come with 2 7,500 lbs axles and others come with triple 5,000 lbs axles?

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2005/Weekend-Warrior

shows FIFTH WHEEL models

M-2805 SL 29' x 8' Fifth Wheel 2 axles dry weigh 6559
M-3005 SL 31' x 8' Fifth Wheel 2 axles dry weigh 6920
M-3105 LE 32' x 8'5" Fifth Wheel 3 axles dry weigh 5800
M-3305 LE 34' x 8'5" Fifth Wheel 3 axles dry weigh 6000
M-3505 LE 36' x 8'5" Fifth Wheel 3 axles dry weigh 6200

They show m-2805 sl and m-3005 sl as tandem axle with weights of 6,500 and 6,900 lbs. While the m-3105 sl is triple axle and only weights 5,800 lbs? I think might be a typo beings is a wider and longer trailer?

Thanks for all the input you guys 🙂

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
Only real advantage I can see with aluminum siding is weight savings. Have owned both and will never go back to aluminum. Sound and thermal insulation are poor compared to fiberglass
This is my reason for my preference of fiberglass over aluminum.

250rwitha7_3
Explorer
Explorer
What I mean by no garage is for the toy hauler to be all open and not have a wall from the kitchen to the garage with a door.

From what I have read some trailers come with 2 7,500 lbs axles and others come with triple 5,000 lbs axles?

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2005/Weekend-Warrior

They show m-2805 sl and m-3005 sl as tandem axle with weights of 6,500 and 6,900 lbs. While the m-3105 sl is triple axle and only weights 5,800 lbs? I think might be a typo beings is a wider and longer trailer?

Thanks for all the input you guys 🙂

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel is laminated and is 11 years old. No de laminating at all. My TC is 20 years old and has aluminum and has also held up well. I am sure fiberglass would be easier to clean but I am not one to clean my rigs much. I think either is fine. Aluminum would be cheaper.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Y-Guy
fiberglass vs metal siding

It used to be that metal siding meant wood construction (which is a whole other debate) but today you need to ask or verify if the frame is all aluminum or not. Fiberglass generally is easier to clean and a better insulator. Metal is almost always going to be cheaper and it weighs less. Fiberglass, if not done correctly, can result in delamination. However the processes today are much better then they were 10+ years ago when it was more common, but it can still happen. Today seems most of the higher end units are fiberglass.

sierra sport and weekend warrior

Assuming you’re talking about used? It will just depend on the unit and how well it’s been maintained. Be sure you read the thread in the main forum that stuck at the top called WW Repairs, you need to know about some of the problems before you jump. I don’t think the 5ers were part of the lawsuit, but some built during that era might have issues. Many members here still own WW’s and they get used daily.

28-32ft without a garage

You will find very few 5ers in that length range, most will be bumper pull. This may limit your selection.

Tandem vs triple axle?

Depending on the weight rating of the axle a triple will give you more weight to haul and handle. For what you are looking at you might be fine with a double axle, it all just depends on what you’re hauling and how heavy the trailer is. Back when we were shopping for our Raptor I really liked the Jayco hauler, but it was on a double axle and that made me nervous. The next year, after we bought our Raptor, they Jayco switched t triple axle.

I have a f250 with a 7.3 powerstroke for a tow vehicle

Wish they still made those engines! Before you jump and buy anything you need to get your weight ratings for your truck and tires. An F250 doesn’t automatically mean you’re set. But one you know your weight capacities then you can shop with more confidence. Your owners manual is your friend regarding this.

A few other things to do before you buy. Read up about water leaks, type of roofs, cheap what we call china-bomb tires, research and educate yourself and ask questions along the way too.

Welcome aboard!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Only real advantage I can see with aluminum siding is weight savings. Have owned both and will never go back to aluminum. Sound and thermal insulation are poor compared to fiberglass
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Having had both I found aluminum to be easier to care for, not harder. It is lighter but more fragile. A limb that might scratch fiberglass can put a crease or hole in aluminum. I go down some narrow forest roads so I have to be careful about that. On the other hand if you do damage one or the other the aluminum is much more easily and cheaply repaired. Although the aluminum may look to have lots of seams it is really in 4' sections so there is only one seam on the front of most rigs, the joint is a z connection so if it was caulked properly leaking should never be an issue.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Aluminum is lighter and lower maintenance. If you don't keep fiberglass washed and waxed, it will look old quickly. You can cheat on aluminum more.

Most front end caps are fiberglass on aluminum rigs, so really a non-issue.

Otherwise, it's mostly preference. I suspect fiberglass is cheaper to produce, so you see more newer rigs with fiberglass. It does tend to make even newer good condition aluminum sided trailers look dated.

Not sure what you mean by toy hauler without a garage. That is typically what defines a toy hauler.

Number of axles is about weight, though newer rigs you heavier axles and tires to keep down to twin axles. The trade off is this is where you read stories of blow outs. Those heavy duty trailer tires are produced in small batches and then ran near their limits, so quality control is harder. Realistically, you don't get to pick the number of axles. The number of axles the trailer comes with is the number of axles. You don't get to add an extra.

Exact model details are needed to give a firm answer but odds are with a 3/4ton 7.3l, you are going to max out around 10,000lbs give or take a couple thousand. You are probably well short of triple axle capability. Plug your truck into a tow calculator. The item that will likely limit you is the pin weight on a larger 5th wheel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
My previous RV was a new 19 ft Jayco with metal siding. I traveled a lot in bad weather. Water would leak in through the seams in front while driving in rain storms. Never leaked while parked. Never could get it to stop. Dumped it in a trade before it was a year old.

Many manufacturers you can get aluminum siding, with fiberglass front caps, should solve the problem you describe. That's how my rig is, but I know it was an optional extra, I just lucked out that's how the dealer ordered it.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My previous RV was a new 19 ft Jayco with metal siding. I traveled a lot in bad weather. Water would leak in through the seams in front while driving in rain storms. Never leaked while parked. Never could get it to stop. Dumped it in a trade before it was a year old.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
We traded our 2006 HR Presidential Suite in for sig TH...It was 9 years old, (fiberglass/gelcoat) and we NEVER had an issue with de-lamination, or any other issues for that matter...Unit was well kept and looked almost as good as the day we drove it off the dealers lot, and it was brand new..Having owned units with the aluminum siding and also other fiberglass units. We prefer the fiberglass for ease of cleaning, waxing and looking better....I personally like the smoother look of the fiberglass over the aluminum , but that's a personal choice....The fiberglass/gelcoat is normally more expensive...I'd go with what you feel best with.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Go with metal ......... Farraday Cage effect. Much safer in lightening storms.

Rubber tires DON'T DO ANYTHING to protect oneself or one's rig or onboard electrical equipment.
Ray

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first trailer (Sunline) had aluminum siding and it held up really well for 10 years. Compared to fiberglass, it is a little harder to clean. The Sunline had an aluminum sided that was coated and waxing was not necessary.

Our Minnie is fiberglass. I like it for ease of cleaning. The downside is that laminated walls results in fewer electrical outlets (at least on ours). Our trailer is only 3 years old and I haven't experienced any delamination. I think delamination can be prevented with proper maintenance of seams....but time will tell. And, if you get a leak in a trailer with aluminum siding, the damage will be behind the siding where you can't see it.

Since you are looking for a 5th wheel toy hauler, you may want to consider aluminum due to the lighter weight as I don't see any major benefit for going with fiberglass.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption