cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need new Tires

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
I blew a tire yesterday coming home from Branson. They were 5 years old and came on the camper when we bought it. Trailer King ST225-R15. THey look so new and great tread but I always assume cheap tires on the campers when you buy them and 3 to 5 years is shelf life.

what do we switch to?

LT Tires and American Made?
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab
65 REPLIES 65

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had the Endurance for over 2 years/25,000 miles with no drama so far, but starting out with only a 1/4" deep tread depth, it seems almost half worn out when it's brand new. I had to replace the front 2 at 20,000 miles due to scrubbing the outer tread, so the need to rotate them is mandatory.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
The big problem is finding a 15" trailer wheel that up to 110 psi and carry 3500 lbs.
Highest 15" I know is Tow-Master SS TD15225F 95 psi and 3150 load rating.

Otherwise I like my GY Endurance.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
cwstanley wrote:
looking too, for 2019 373rbs just cause I don't want to tempt Westlakes, just did 3000 miles with them but ๐Ÿ™‚ No one here mentioned Sailun's I'm real tempted to go with Sailun G rated.... thoughts??

You may have a Open Range 373RBS with a 15500 gvwr. Most likely has 7k axles and hopefully 110 psi rated wheels..... so the Sailun S637 ST235/80-16" G at 4008 lbs is a excellent choice. Your getting a top of the heap commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire.

I agree, not a G rated tire out there better .

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
cwstanley wrote:
looking too, for 2019 373rbs just cause I don't want to tempt Westlakes, just did 3000 miles with them but ๐Ÿ™‚ No one here mentioned Sailun's I'm real tempted to go with Sailun G rated.... thoughts??

You may have a Open Range 373RBS with a 15500 gvwr. Most likely has 7k axles and hopefully 110 psi rated wheels..... so the Sailun S637 ST235/80-16" G at 4008 lbs is a excellent choice. Your getting a top of the heap commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
good year endurance have worked good for me.

Your best selection is to pick a brand with the higher ST225/75R15 LRE load capacity.

There are no 15" LT tires that qualify for replacement of your OE tires.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many, many folks that have switched to Sailuns and putting many miles with no issues, other than a Road Hazard failure or two.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

cwstanley
Explorer
Explorer

2013 F350 Dually,4X4, CC
2017 Laredo 340FL
Wife, son & 3 Brittany Spaniels

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
I am of the opinion that to many people change out perfectly good tires because of a name. I am not sure if we are just getting lazy and dont want to include tires as part of out trailer pretrip or what. ST stires or maybe any tire, but the show I was listining to said even the chinese tires have a life expextency of 6 to 9 years. I was looking at the tires on my 5th two weeks ago gtting ready for a trip and I noticed some weird wear on that one and then I noticed the teltale sidewall dimples of a tire starting to seperate. so I checked all the rest, no cracks in between the tread or anywhere else so I just changed the one. now this tire was on the trailer when I bought it new in 2016 so probably 5 years old and just one of the defects. my last trailer I went 10 years on the tires before I changed them out with no issues. the trailer before I went 8 years then traded it in. they were all "china bombs"
so even with the "off shore tires" if you include the tires in your daily checks, looking for cracks on the sidewall , inbetween the treads and keep the cold psi proper, you can probably get the max life out of them with out any other dammage.

would I like to buy sailun tires you bed, but they are pricy up here but not crazy. but I think the reason I would be buying them is for reduced rolling resistance and better tread life.

Steve
I check, and air up my tires before every trip, EVERY TRIP. To date I have had 3 catastrophic tire failures. Each and every one was on a tire in the beginning of it 4th year of service. they were not over loaded, and the PSI was exactly where is was supposed to be. Age killed them.

So now my tires come off and are replaced at the beginning of their 4th year. I will not run a tire that is more than 3 years old. And I buy the best. And still replace them before the 4th year starts. Changing a tire on the side of the road in 97 degree hear is no fun. Much easier to replace them.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
I've gotten anywhere from two years to four years and two months out of ST tires before they exploded. Now I only use 16 inch commercial LT's and the weight rating has been high enough for my trailers but sometimes just barely? I like the speed rating and LT tires are built to passenger carrying safety specs. Craig

You obviously never heard of the Sailun S637's one of the most popular ,and IMO the best G rated tire on the market, and many agree.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've gotten anywhere from two years to four years and two months out of ST tires before they exploded. Now I only use 16 inch commercial LT's and the weight rating has been high enough for my trailers but sometimes just barely? I like the speed rating and LT tires are built to passenger carrying safety specs. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plain and simple. GY ENDURANCE has ZERO reported failures being on the market for over 3 years now.

Simply choose your size and load range n get er dun. One you have done so maintain proper tire pressure and don't look back!

OH yea if YA care they are US Made!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
DogTrainer wrote:
Thank you so much for the information and I look forward to some new safer tires on the trailer.

I don't want to change the size of the rims...but let me look at what you all recommended and the cost if I did move to 16's.
When I made the jump to LTs in 2006, I put my old tires/rims on craigs list. Got 150.00 within a couple of hours. Lots of landscapers always looking for trailer tires with rims.

That can help defray the cost of making the jump.
I have never looked back.

One thing to be aware of though, 16s usually require 6 lug drums. You likely have those anyway on a 5ver though. It is the TTs that can go either way.

One thing is for sure though... Going to 16s opens up a huge array of tires to choose from.

Yeah that array includes a couple of good brand commercial grade all steel ply carcass LT E tires for 5.2k and 6k axles.....and several brands of 16" load G commercial grade all steel ply ST tires for 7k-8k axles.

Many times a RV trailer owner with 13'/14" load C /D tires hears every one talking about how good the 16" tire I mentioned above are....and think they need to make the change to 16" .
Same with those with trailers with 6k axles/2500-2800 lbs load per tire and go with a ST load G at 4008-4400 lbs or even worse moving on up to 17.5" load H at 6008 lbs/120 psi as one owner did....then ran them at 80 psi 'cause he was told to 'cause he read it on a rv website.
Then complained mpgs dropped like a rock on his 3500 drw Dmax/A making the same weekly trips on the same roads.
More or bigger anything sometimes isn't always the best idea.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I am of the opinion that to many people change out perfectly good tires because of a name. I am not sure if we are just getting lazy and dont want to include tires as part of out trailer pretrip or what. ST stires or maybe any tire, but the show I was listining to said even the chinese tires have a life expextency of 6 to 9 years. I was looking at the tires on my 5th two weeks ago gtting ready for a trip and I noticed some weird wear on that one and then I noticed the teltale sidewall dimples of a tire starting to seperate. so I checked all the rest, no cracks in between the tread or anywhere else so I just changed the one. now this tire was on the trailer when I bought it new in 2016 so probably 5 years old and just one of the defects. my last trailer I went 10 years on the tires before I changed them out with no issues. the trailer before I went 8 years then traded it in. they were all "china bombs"
so even with the "off shore tires" if you include the tires in your daily checks, looking for cracks on the sidewall , inbetween the treads and keep the cold psi proper, you can probably get the max life out of them with out any other dammage.

would I like to buy sailun tires you bed, but they are pricy up here but not crazy. but I think the reason I would be buying them is for reduced rolling resistance and better tread life.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DogTrainer wrote:
Thank you so much for the information and I look forward to some new safer tires on the trailer.

I don't want to change the size of the rims...but let me look at what you all recommended and the cost if I did move to 16's.
When I made the jump to LTs in 2006, I put my old tires/rims on craigs list. Got 150.00 within a couple of hours. Lots of landscapers always looking for trailer tires with rims.

That can help defray the cost of making the jump.
I have never looked back.

One thing to be aware of though, 16s usually require 6 lug drums. You likely have those anyway on a 5ver though. It is the TTs that can go either way.

One thing is for sure though... Going to 16s opens up a huge array of tires to choose from.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

Maxxis has been left behind still rated at 65 mph. With over 30 member reporting issues with them I would stick with a more modern brand ST class tire.

Actually not so. My new Maxxis Ds have a 87 MPH speed rating at 65psi.

Maxxis 2020 website still say 65 mph max speed.
Maxxis ST8008 2020 website warranty says warranty is no good if that speed has been exceeded.

If the tire has 87 mph on the sidewall then I would say Maxxis hasn't upgraded their website. It would be to their benefit to advertise that upgrade.

Agree. I was also worried about the added 15 psi. But the rim is supposed to take it.
I also couldn't fine the speed rating on line. I did before. But sometimes apparently I don't do as well. All I could find online was the statement that the tires are designed for more than 80 MPH, but due to an agreement with the government. Maxxis recommends 65 mph for the C tire. They say nothing about the D tire. I'll look on the tire in the morning just to put my mind at ease.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers