cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance...Need Assistance...Resolved

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
This is kind of hard to believe, but I just called my insurance agent to add a 2014 Ram Longhorn we purchased 2 days ago to our policy. When they heard that I would occasionally be towing a fifth wheel, they told me they would not cover the new truck...and wouldn't continue to cover the old truck because it was used to pull a fifth wheel!

Current vehicle and home insurance is via Costco / Ameriprise. We have used them for many years for multiple vehicles as well as for our home insurance. Great pricing and good service. No accidents or tickets for 47 years for either of us. RV is currently insured separately through Good Sam. I need to find a new insurance company quickly.

Does anyone have coverage for vehicles, home and RV through a single reputable company with reasonable rates and decent service? Who is your carrier? Did you compare prices between different companies?

Going to be busy on Monday morning talking to insurance companies. Planning on contacting AAA, Farmers, State Farm, Allstate and Geico. Open to all suggestions for additional companies, or reasons not to bother with some of them.

Thanks.
Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club
62 REPLIES 62

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Are any of you AMAC members with Traveler's Insurance? DW and I are getting to "that age" and I simply won't join AARP for any reason, so am considering alternatives.

Lyle

+++2
Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Are any of you AMAC members with Traveler's Insurance? DW and I are getting to "that age" and I simply won't join AARP for any reason, so am considering alternatives.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
butchfuzion wrote:
Interesting discussion. I have vehicles insured with AARP Hartford (including F350) and also my home. Hartford said that they do not insure RV's ? I wonder if the state you live in has anything to do with all the different experiences. I'm going to call them and ask again as they were far the cheapest for all my vehicles. I had GEICO for years and finally called AARP and they gave me the exact same coverage for half the price.

AARP/Hartford would have done our RV coverage too, but the coverage is better from an RV specific provider like National General or Blue Sky, particularly in how they treat full price replacement of the RV in the event of a total loss.
Doug & Juanita

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting discussion. I have vehicles insured with AARP Hartford (including F350) and also my home. Hartford said that they do not insure RV's ? I wonder if the state you live in has anything to do with all the different experiences. I'm going to call them and ask again as they were far the cheapest for all my vehicles. I had GEICO for years and finally called AARP and they gave me the exact same coverage for half the price.

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
Original poster here again. Thank you for all of the prompt responses. Very helpful and much appreciated.

We ended up going with Hartford Insurance for vehicles and homeowners. Staying with Good Sam (National General)for RV coverage for now, but will switch to Blue Sky when available in California.

We didn't qualify for USAA, but the best pricing in our case was Hartford, by quite a bit. Next best were...Farmers, Nationwide, AAA and Allstate. Not enough time to check more.

Moral is: Compare companies. 20% difference between the best and the worst for the exact same coverage. Almost $1,000 per year in our case.
Doug & Juanita

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed this month from GMAC, which I did have a claim, not my fault and they were very good to me! I decided to see what USAA would do. I have a 08 Rv , paid for, if that helps.

Bruce

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bruce. USAA passed my boat to Progressive as well. My RV is 37 feet. How long have you had this particular trailer insured with them? Perhaps you are grandfathered? Like I mentioned they insured my other trailer 7 years ago and kept if insured until late last year when I go the new trailer so perhaps they have changed their policy but kept existing policies in effect.

blue trawler wrote:
I have a 38 ft 5th wheel. I am looking at my policy and it says USAA? Truck and Rv?
I do know they pass off bikes to Progressive.

Bruce
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 38 ft 5th wheel. I am looking at my policy and it says USAA? Truck and Rv?
I do know they pass off bikes to Progressive.

Bruce

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
I have been with USAA for longer than I care to comment on. They insured my previous RV but would not insure my 2014 5th wheel. I never had a claim on my old trailer. They passed me off to Progressive. So are you saying USAA insures your travel trailer? Is it a 5th wheel or pull behind?

Tom

blue trawler wrote:
I just changed after having GMAC to USAA, if u can. Exactly same insurance with umbrella clause and saved $165.00 a year. Also have my 2013 FF350 with USAA.
Had Foremost with my Goldwing and they went up, never had a claim, so, a friend told me All State , compared apples to apples and went from $525.90 to $248? State Farm has our house and wife's car, they wanted $604.00 for my bike!

Gotta shop around!

Bruce
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
oldbeek wrote:
I have Farm Bureau in L.A. County.
There is a HUGE difference between Farm Bureau and Farmers Insurance. I can believe that of Farm Bureau, as they have a stellar rep around here. Farmers Insurance is just another run of the mill insurance company.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
I have Farm Bureau in L.A. County. The insurance company is Allied. Really good insurance. Unfortunately have had many claims over the past 15 years. After an exceptionally hard freeze, I had a pipe break. They were short on adjusters so they just took my word for the damage. I cleaned up the water damage myself and called a carpet and drywall contractor. they paid my labor also. $7,000.00 Check made out to me arrived in 2 weeks. Had a car accident and wanted to go to a local body shop. No body shop in my area met their high standards. The repair and service was exceptional. In 15 years car accidents, rear ended twice, hit deer, hit hoarse (totaled new Dodge Ram) House burglarized and pipe freeze. NO rate increases.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed after having GMAC to USAA, if u can. Exactly same insurance with umbrella clause and saved $165.00 a year. Also have my 2013 FF350 with USAA.
Had Foremost with my Goldwing and they went up, never had a claim, so, a friend told me All State , compared apples to apples and went from $525.90 to $248? State Farm has our house and wife's car, they wanted $604.00 for my bike!

Gotta shop around!

Bruce

greende
Explorer
Explorer
kirbybear wrote:
AARP/HARTFORD would not because the F350 dual was over 10,000#, after they assured me an F350 was OK. When I gave them the VIN they said NO. I also had to scramble and I was full time.

This was exactly what the Independent Agent told me so I too went to a different company and took all my business.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
retskc wrote:
I have my truck covered by Costco and they know that I pull a fiver sounds like the agent you talked to needs to check their facts. I was going to use them for the fiver but was told they only cover trailers up to 30'. So went to blue sky for fiver

Man, that's what I thought too, but I called back again and got the same answer: "We will not insure your trucks if the fifth wheel you pull is over 30 feet long."

Normally when you are attached to your fifth wheel, the RV is covered by your truck policy, not by your RV policy, so I'd double check with your RV insurance provider to make sure you are really covered like you think you are.
Doug & Juanita