cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverters on Toyhaulers

jk123
Explorer
Explorer
Am interested in a Momentum or Ducthman Voltage toyhauler. Have a couple questions as this will be our first Toy Hauler.

Do they come with inverters like on a class A. We'd like to be able to watch television without running a generator to do it.

With these larger 5th wheels are you able to still camp in National Parks? We like to ride dirtbikes and would prefer to stay places where we can unload and go riding directly. We have a fear that this things are so big they don't fit anywhere, what has been you experience.
22 REPLIES 22

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
jk123 wrote:

With these larger 5th wheels are you able to still camp in National Parks? We like to ride dirtbikes and would prefer to stay places where we can unload and go riding directly. We have a fear that this things are so big they don't fit anywhere, what has been you experience.

Depends on the size of the campground in the park as well as the size of the toy hauler you get.

Dirt bike riding in national parks, mostly no, because they aren't street legal, and I haven't run across a nat'l park yet that has areas for OHV usage.
Bob

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can't speak for Roosevelt National Forest, but 90% of our camping is in National Forest. We mostly boondock, so its never a concern finding a spot, but have camped in several National Forest Campgrounds. My experience is that if its listed as 35' we can usually get our 40' TH in the site. You'll need to do your due diligence. Whenever we are in close proximity to a Forest Service or National Park Campground we try and scope it out so that if we ever stay we have a good idea on which sites will accommodate our toyhauler.

Sometimes the site requires us to either unload before starting backing into it or when we are partially backed in.

Forest Service Campgrounds can be an enjoyable experience especially after they close for the season. ๐Ÿ™‚

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi 1l243,

Then look for poly panels with bypass diodes between each cell. You may wish to consider MPPT as that type of controller, apparently, does better in shade than pwm. I know it boosts the cost. My system does 17 amps at noon in perfect solar conditions in June, and about 7 amps in leafy shade. In rain I get 3 amps.

1L243 wrote:
Solar panels are in my future my only problem when dry camping I like to park in the shade as temps can get in the upper 90's. don't know how much help the solar will be in my case...Large portable panels would be a pain to move arouund.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dry camp about 30+ days a year. Watching tv with satellite a few hours a day will make even a large battery bank draw down after a few days requiring daily generator run time to keep the batteries up. I have also converted most of my lights to LED. Solar panels are the way to keep the batteries up so les gen run time is needed.. Solar panels are in my future my only problem when dry camping I like to park in the shade as temps can get in the upper 90's. don't know how much help the solar will be in my case...Large portable panels would be a pain to move arouund. Now that solar systems in the 300w + have come down it maybe worth the effort...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Joe,

Most RV's are not set up well to charge from the alternator. I'm glad yours is.

Solar tends to extend the lifetime of the battery bank, especially if it is large enough to equalize the house battery bank. It means that coming out of storage the battery bank is at 100% state of charge. It may obviate the need for a generator when coupled with an inverter. It tends to be a one time "set it and forget it" cost unlike a generator which wants to be fed fuel.

My solar system has paid for itself in campground fees saved.

joebedford wrote:
Not sure why you concluded solar is required. I suppose if one were to boondock for a long time, solar would be good. I don't, so I don't need solar.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2btowed
Explorer
Explorer
Most NP do not allow OHVs,ATVs,however if you are road legal and have plates,you can ride in Park.Do not have a piped bike and expect not to be stopped!Be cool and all is well.Many of the NPs have BLM land or National Forest next to them,so you camp outside NP and hike in or some have access in and parking for OHVs,just a short walk to shuttle busses,and with an America Beautiful pass ,all is FREE.Utah is extremely TH and OHV friendly,around their parks.Az is also great,just be street leagal and all is well.For just a TV go small inverter,but need more batts no matter what.
08 Ranger/sold/14 rzr900 4
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
08 f450
04 Kymco 110

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure why you concluded solar is required. I suppose if one were to boondock for a long time, solar would be good. I don't, so I don't need solar.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what you want to run off batteries. I removed the factory converter, and installed an inverter/charger in its place. Remove the factory power cable from the breaker panel, install it in the inverter/charger, and run a new power cable from there to the factory panel. Inverter now power everything on the trailer. In my case I ran the power cable to a new sub panel, then from the panel to the inverter/charger. I moved the electric water heater, and both ac's to the sub panel. Now everything but the ac's and electric water heater run off the batteries when AC power is not available. I also ran 4/0 cables from the batteries to the inverter/charger, mine is a 3kw unit, large enough to run coffee pot, toaster, tv, and microwave at the same time. It also charges up to 150 amps in bulk.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
You also have to watch the pass through amps on the inverter. A lot of the newer toy haulers, especially Momentum, are running 50 amp service. For two leg service (50 am each), the highest rating I've seen is 30 amps. So when you run on shore power, you risk burning out the inverter running the full 50 amps through it.

You would have to run a sub panel off the main panel and choose which circuits you want to run off of that.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jk123 wrote:
* Solar panels are a must and it sound slike 300-600 watts is the right size coupled with 3-4 golf cart batteries. Do the designers anticpiate this and leave space for additional house batteries ?
Usually. Better check it out first.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jk123
Explorer
Explorer
So it sounds like:

* Toyhaulers do not come from the factory with an inverter to tun the T.V. / Bluray without generator
* Solar panels are a must and it sound slike 300-600 watts is the right size coupled with 3-4 golf cart batteries. Do the designers anticpiate this and leave space for additional house batteries ?
* I meant Naiotnal Forest not national parks as we spend a fair amount of time in the Rosevelt National forest. We see lots of folks with campers but don't see many which LARGE toy haulers.
* How do these trailers tow (with trail air and without)? Has anyone here owned or towed a Momentum 385? Do these heavier rigs get blown around when its windy. It gets real windy here from time to time.

J

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I added an el cheapo MSW 300W inverter for LR and BR TV and sound system and charging misc electronic junk. Works just fine. I have two Group 29 12V batteries - recharge with generator or while driving.

Voltage 3950

Same here and I hardwired it to two outlets, one at each T.V. It died however so need to replace it but probably go same route, I also wired in a remote switch, parallel to the unit mounted one, so I can turn it on/off from inside. I mounted it by the batteries so less voltage drop on the 12v side. I think it got wet when we were in Oregon on vacation and that's why it died. Fortunately they're cheap, got a 400w at Harbor Freight.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inverters are easily installed whether by factory, dealer, or by yourself. They are not exclusive to high-end units whatsoever and they are readily available at Walmart and BestBuy to name a few. Our TH had a factory option for an inverter but I didn't want to pay 500% more for something I could easily install in a half hour. Need at least a couple of batteries for a few hours of TV viewing daily, adding solar will help reduce genny runtime for recharging.

It's true that it is difficult for large rigs to access some of the national parks as well a some of the older state parks, and very few allow riding from park to off road vehicle trails. There is plenty of good info online detailing off road trails with many in NM and surrounding states. Enjoy your new TH!!!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I added an el cheapo MSW 300W inverter for LR and BR TV and sound system and charging misc electronic junk. Works just fine. I have two Group 29 12V batteries - recharge with generator or while driving.

Voltage 3950