cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a good way to transport a golf cart with a 5er?

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of buying a golf cart to take with us camping but we are not sure how to transport it with our 5th wheel. Obviously the bed is out and not sure about tandem trailers, currently looking at Idaho tote. Any other ideas?
2008 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 SRW Duramax Allison 6 speed
2014 Cougar 327 RES "Campy"
45 REPLIES 45

07PSDCREW
Explorer
Explorer
The original owner of my 5ver had a rack built at a welding shop. Expanded steel, angle iron and some "I" beam type supports it was made of. When I went to go look at the trailer before purchasing it, I saw that the rack was bolted to the frame under the back of the trailer with three or four bolts each side. He said he wanted to keep it to put on his new camper to haul the golf cart. He re-installed the original square bumper when I bought it. He used ramps that attached to the side to get his cart on and off and had some taillights on the rack. He also had installed a wireless camera system to keep an eye on it while traveling. (which he included the complete system upon purchasing!!) The rack was mounted sideways and was the approximate width of the trailer. The depth was the the approx width of his golfcart. It looked extremely sturdy as he stood on it showing me how he mounted it.
Hope this helps you in any way.
Leon
2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB
Fully bulletproofed/EGR/ARP Studs
Reese 16k round tube slider hitch.
2000 Damon Hornet 2850BH 5er :B
Days camped 2011= 34 2012= 46

JeffroMax
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 6x12 trailer with a Polaris RZR behind my 32ft Jayco. You hardly will notice its there. I thought about a toyhauler but my Dad has a new 6x12 trailer he said I could use anytime and since I keep my Fifth wheel and rzr in his pole barn its not a problem. Just get a small trailer and double tow!
06 Dodge Cummins 2500 Mega Cab Shortbed
07 Jayco Jay Flight 30.5 RLS
08 Polaris RZR 800

denverkass
Explorer
Explorer
If you didn't already have a new camper, I would completely agree, a toy hauler might be the option that you would really enjoy. Saying that, my wife and I have been double towing for the past going on 7 years. As we have never had an issue double towing, I never really enjoyed to whole double towing aspect. Therefore my wife and I did purchase a toy hauler about 6 weeks ago and it is a much better option for us. Not only can we take our toys without double towing, but now when the toys are unloaded we now have a separate room with queen sized bunk beds for our 3 daughters.

As far as double towing, as I have done it many many times, it was an uneasy feeling to me. But, it served its purpose and thankfully I never had an issue.

If you decide to double tow, you must always make sure that before you enter a particular road, parking lot or whatever the case may be, that you have a clear direction out without being able to back up.

There was one time where we were trying to find a campground that we had never been to and our GPS lead us down a dead end road. It is no fun unhitching a trailer from the camper, backing the camper out over a mile of road, unhooking it, going back to do the same thing with the trailer and then hooking it all back up. Thats an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Anyway, I hope you find the best option for you.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
may have been addressed already, I'm not reading 5 pages of answers.
I always thought I would put a rack on top of the cab. Drop ramps to drive the cart up and leave the ramps in the bed while traveling. Use support beams to the front bumper supports to hold the weight. (think of a car transport truck)
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

mrwacky
Explorer
Explorer
Many have had hitch recepticals installed, bought a little trailer, and done fine towing tandem. I have a friend who lives near Salem, Or. and he tandems all over the place, Washington, Idaho, Montana, California, Nevada,Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas that I can vouch for for the past ten years. He has never been stopped, questioned or had any bad experiences. A former California Highway patrolman two weeks ago told me that even where it is illegal, the highway police ignore the practice. They are not familiar with laws that are under the jurisdiction of the state DOT is what he claimed, so even if they see you they leave you alone.

Reading these boards it is rare you ever hear a member say they were hassled for tandem towing. Anyway, I would go the small trailer route if I were you. I have thought about the same myself and will stop by a welding and fab shop to see about getting the hitch system installed this summer.
2005 Montana Big Sky 3670RL
DWIGHT AND BETSY LILLY
In loving memory SIX FERRETS--FUZZY, SILLY, PUMPKY, BABY, RANDY & RUDY (deceased)

Boo Boo, Yogi, and Sadie our two poms and Papillion rebels

gpshemi
Explorer
Explorer
Another plus for a toyhauler then. My limo cart take off pin weight. Lol.
GPSHEMI

06' 3500 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 w/ bombed 5.9L
18K Pullrite SuperGlide w/super rails
2010 Heartland Cyclone 3612

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
I recall the tounge weight is considerable like 40% or something. Thus the plan to build a trailer that will allow for managing the concern.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
How much does a typical golf cart weigh? I am looking at the swivel wheel trailer. I wonder how much tongue weight the swivel wheel will have if loaded with a golf cart. I am looking at the dual. A single wheel don't look like enough support for a golf cart.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
I too am facing a similar issue, with the desire of transporting a 1200# four seater Polaris. Currently, the thought is to use a dual swivel wheel trailer, that's six feet wide, hence no trail over. The swivel wheels offer a locking feature that fixes them in a straight line with the truck, and then use a single point hitch and coupler, thus converting to a standard configuration.

Another concern, is how the additional weight to the real of the 5er impacts the pin weight.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
gpshemi wrote:
MPI_Mallard wrote:
Don't misunderstand my post,you can put a lace teddy on a pig,it'll be a better looking pig but in the end it's still a pig!

I don't think I misunderstood at all. You're pretty clear. Toyhaulers are ugly pigs. I got it loud a clear...:R

Everyone has different likes & needs & don't mind telling you........ We don't full time & we go camping for fun don't want it like home as we might not go back home LOL............ plus we can't afford a plush 5er

As far as THs go they have come a long ours has rich Cherry cabinets, the floors have the hardwood look .....When the golf car is out.... The garage makes a great "den" or extra bedroom......We are empty nesters but got a Toyhauler not only for the golf car but so our grown children & grandchildren can come along (when they can)... It comfortably can sleep 10 with 4 queen beds plus the queen size table bed (we don't use the table bed).

Everyone likes something different..........

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Jloucks wrote:
spadoctor wrote:
keep in mind many parks do not allow transients to use golf carts

I'll up your "many" to most!

All the campgrounds we go to allow them but we only take our golf car to the larger campgrounds.....

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
Rent one. I know the rates are high. But in the whole scheme of things, it is a lot cheaper in the long run. Avoid the initial purchase price. Avoid the cost to transport it. Avoid the maintenance. Avoid the hassle of loading and unloading. Something breaks...take it back. They won't let your kids, use it. But some think that is not a bad thing.

Depends on where you travel & how often you use a golf car we bought a nice lightly used golf car & the savings of rental fees has been more than double the price we paid for the golf car........ The campground we go to in the summer charges about $50 per day in rental fees. Insurance is a must as your auto & homeowner ins will not cover any liability on operating it, found out they do not cover ATVs either............

Also keep in mind depending on where you travel in many states double towing is illegal & you can be stuck with a fine & leaving the second trailer behind........

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
remoandiris wrote:
Winged One wrote:
We looked at many toyhaulers and they were most designed for families, not couples. After I researched platforms to haul our Goldwing, it opened up conventional 5th wheels for consideration.

My wife and I think the Road Warrior 390 and Cyclone 4000 are made for 2. We opted for the 4000. Looking forward to getting it next month and no more leaving my Wing at home.

That floorplan was not available when we were looking and it is much better for a couple. Most toyhaulers still come with those huge U-lounges for feeding a swarm.

I also like the XLR 386. Excellent design. But 2 years ago the things came with interiors for a modern art exhibit and about a dozen "XLR"'s scattered about the interior (seating, walls, slides, cripes anywhere they could plaster it).

Enjoy your new toyhauler. It's good to see they are finally toning down some of them.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
keep in mind many parks do not allow transients to use golf carts

I'll up your "many" to most!