cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there different hitch rail pins available?

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Because of the way my Curt slider hitch is designed and sits down low and close to the rails, its kind of a pain to pull the retainer circlips on the pins to get the pins out.

So I was thinking of using four short pins, is there, or can I use two longer pins which will reach from the back rail to the front rail? This may make getting the retainer clips off easier.
13 REPLIES 13

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
If you were more up on your CSI skills you'd have noticed my second post whereby I said, "Its just a pain in the butt which actually stops me from removing the hitch from the truck as often as I'd like since I get bored wrestling with them. Its harder to put them back than it is removing them too." ๐Ÿ˜‰

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
KATOOM wrote:
Because of the way my Curt slider hitch is designed and sits down low and close to the rails, its kind of a pain to pull the retainer circlips on the pins to get the pins out.

So I was thinking of using four short pins, is there, or can I use two longer pins which will reach from the back rail to the front rail? This may make getting the retainer clips off easier.

KATOOM wrote:
Thank you. Thats exactly what I was looking for. And yes, removal is not the problem as they're a pain in the rear to put on, pliers or not.

I guess i miss read the Pull and getting the retainer clips off part of the OP!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Thats exactly what I was looking for. And yes, removal is not the problem as they're a pain in the rear to put on, pliers or not.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
None of the pin that extends beyond the rails matters. In other words, the pins can be as long as you want. The only important factor is that the diameter is correct, which should be 5/8". You can get longer pins. You can even get pins long enough to have a hole for a padlock. Any decent welding shop could make you some. But check with Etrailer or even McMaster for a good selection of pins.

Take a look:
McMaster Hitch Pins

Lanyards, pliers, et al, will not help to insert the clips. Although nice for fast removal, doesn't solve the OP issue.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
as stated before,
pliers, or tie a (say about 6-8 inches of string) as a lanyard pull.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I agre with a previous post. Take a good pair of pliers and just pull them out. I had one hitch that used very small pins, and would fall out just from being slightly touched while moving around the truck bed. I think at times they just vibrated out. Called Pullright SG, and they sent me pins that were the same size, but had more tension. Still had to watch them to make sure we did not lose them, and let the main pins fall out. If yours are hard they won't fall out.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Dave2001
Explorer
Explorer
[img][/img]
My clips are easy to remove. The pins are a bit harder.
2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 32SKD
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad cab, 4x4, HO, 6spd, 4:10

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure the forces on those pin either which is why I'm a little concerned about trying anything which fits. Maybe a stainless steel rod?

dmeck
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you could use a piece of all thread or rebar cut long enough to go from one rail to the other. It would need holes drilled for new pins. I don't know what kind of forces are on the pins. I think your rails would have to be lined up almost perfect to use long pins.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why not just put a short lanyard on the pins that you can easily reach and grab.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this will help your situation,

My hitch came with some small flimsy clips that were hard to pull. I found these somewhere, but I cannot remember where. They were sold just as a pack of clips without pins.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Given the small amount of room between the slider and the rail, I have to use pliers. Its just a pain in the butt which actually stops me from removing the hitch from the truck as often as I'd like since I get bored wrestling with them. Its harder to put them back than it is removing them too.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just grab the clips with a pliers. It's not like you remove the hitch that often..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS