cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keeping motorcycle batteries in toy hauler charged

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fun runner 16 foot toy hauler. Just purchased. It has two deep cycle batteries mounted on the tongue. I will keep two sport quads, and one dirt bike in the toy hauler in storage. There will be no electric avaliable at the storage facility. I dont want to take the batteries out of the quads and dirt bike and bring them home and put them on trickle chargers. What I want to do is plug the trickle chargers into the outlets inside the toy hauler (3 of them) and trickle charge the batteries. I want to put solar trickle chargers on the two deep cycle batteries on the tounge. Finally my question: will all the batteries stay charged? Or will I end up with 5 dead batteries? 2 on the tounge, 3 in the toy hauler, and a large bill to replace them all. They will be on their own for up to a month some times.

I apologize for the long winded question but I wanted to make it clear as to what I have in mind.

thanks,

paul
19 REPLIES 19

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW.

The only batteries I disconnect are the ones in the boat and RV because those on-board chargers will fry the batteries over the course of a few months. I put a blade-type disconect on one post, leaving circuit open when on the Battery Tender.

Everything else (ATVs, M/Cs, tractor, lawn mower, seldom-used-farm-truck) has a pigtail on the battery, no disconnect, and always plugged into Batter Tender brand maintainers whenever not being used. Not a problem that most of them have clocks or other low current draws.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
pbbrgr wrote:
So as to disconnecting the batteries. I only need to disconnect one side of the battery right? Just the negative or positive side? Or both sides?

paul

One side only. Whatever is easiest to get to, you're isolating the battery is all.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
So as to disconnecting the batteries. I only need to disconnect one side of the battery right? Just the negative or positive side? Or both sides?

paul

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a single 20 watt panel(with a controller) that keeps my two 6 volt batteries topped off, I'm looking to put another on so it will keep up with the daily use when boon docking. With just the 20 watts our generator use dropped by 50%.
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
I would put enough solar to help off set some usage when camping 100 to 200 Watt's with a good controller. Then you could hook the toys up to the rv battery's or run battery tenders off a inverter.
Gary

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
pbbrgr wrote:
Sounds like the mistake I am making is not disconnecting them. So when connected there must still must be some electrical drain occuring even if the ignition switch is in the off position?

Yeah if your battery is flatlining in a month of sitting something isn't right. Bad battery or a draw that shouldn't be there. Check out your batteries and charging systems before rewiring the trailer to accommodate a charger.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need a voltage regular to run with you solar panel so you don't fry your batteries.

You said ~( I want to put solar trickle chargers on the two deep cycle batteries on the tounge)
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bedlam
Running a 12VDC lead from the TH to the toys will keep the toy batteries up. Banana plugs on the wall to cables terminated with alligator clips or quick disconnect 2-wire plugs to the toys will keep things neat. However, it does sound like you have parasitic draws on the batteries or the batteries are old and self-discharging.

To prevent the TH batteries from being pulled down, solar charging will cover up the parasitic draw. I suggest spending money on a good charger connected to your solar that will keep the batteries maintained yet not boil them out due to overcharging.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
There is a lot to learn for a new rver. This is a great place to learn. It is important to disconnect the rv battery when not in use because as suggested there are small drains such as the propane detector.

Seems any new vehicles have computers of some sort and draw a tiny bit of power even when shut off. To make disconnecting batteries on the toys you can buy some heavy duty connectors at your local parts store.

Installing an small solar panel for the rv batteries is a great idea in any case. The batteries will be ready to go when you are.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

dougford
Explorer
Explorer
The bikes shouldn't draw any power, but who knows. The camper more than likely will. Smoke alarms, the inverter/converter, etc. I put one of these on so all I have to do is switch it off instead of removing the batery cables:
Switch
2008 Ford F350 CC 4X4
2012 Jacyo Octane T29A
2006 Yamaha Blaster
2007 Honda Recon
2006 TTR50
2012 YZ250F
2013 WR250R
2013 XT250

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
Also, since im new to this I thought the outlets in the toyhauler would have power from the batteries. Got a lot to learn.

thanks for all the responses.

paul

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like something is drawing the batteries down. Mine dont get started all that much and rode and going on 5 yrs. with the stock batteries.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the mistake I am making is not disconnecting them. So when connected there must still must be some electrical drain occuring even if the ignition switch is in the off position?

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
My Honda 4wheeler battery sits for 4-5 months in the winter and fires right up. It's the cheap walmart version, and doesn't get unhooked.

If you don't have hookups the power outlets in the camper won't work, they are 110V and require shore power.

Disconnect them all and don't worry about it.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods