cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Montana

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to receive input as to the Pro's and Con's of the Keystone Montana 5th Wheel trailers. I have noticed that there are a large number of used Montana 5th wheels for sale at the Dealers. Is there a reason? Are they built well or do they not hold up well?

Thanks
Dale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed
2005 Jayco 31RLS DESIGNER Fifth wheel
67 REPLIES 67

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
yes the floor. The slide floors were kind of disappointing in our Montana. They were mush around the dining table
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rmalik1 wrote:
otrfun wrote:
rmalik1 wrote:
One of the things I don't like about Montana's is they use OSB not marine grade plywood.
Got the impression Montana's were mostly aluminum construction? Where do they use the OSB? Floor, sides, and/or roof?

Floor
The exact place u want the better product!

Please explain what goes wrong with OSB flooring, have read this before, and having had two Montana fifth wheels, I'm sorry , but OSB is my last concern. After 9years between the two there were never any floor problems if that is what you are alluding to.

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
rmalik1 wrote:
One of the things I don't like about Montana's is they use OSB not marine grade plywood.
Got the impression Montana's were mostly aluminum construction? Where do they use the OSB? Floor, sides, and/or roof?

Floor
The exact place u want the better product!
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

ours
Explorer
Explorer
Check out how they are constructed from the bottom up. I did this and researched for about 2 months and ended up purchasing a Cedar Creek Silverback. I was happier with the core construction of this brand and how everything is put together. Just sharing my research.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
rmalik1 wrote:

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
Mile High wrote:
rehless wrote:
Bought a new 2012 in 2012, Montana Mountaineer. Not happy. Wood trim immediately broke of one slide out, both sides. Door on converter broke. As cheaply made as others.

Mountaineer not even in the same league as Montana - so not a fair comparison. Mountaineer is the econo line.

Mountaineer not one of Keystones lightweight fifth wheels and is actually being merged into the Montana lineup so they now have a bunkhouse. No more Mountaineer....
Hmmm, I don't recall saying it was a lightweight, rather an economy version of the Montana. They are not light, they just don't have all the features. Looks like they still show a full line on the website, but Keystone has never been real prompt about keeping it updated.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
rehless wrote:
Bought a new 2012 in 2012, Montana Mountaineer. Not happy. Wood trim immediately broke of one slide out, both sides. Door on converter broke. As cheaply made as others.

Mountaineer not even in the same league as Montana - so not a fair comparison. Mountaineer is the econo line.

Mountaineer not one of Keystones lightweight fifth wheels and is actually being merged into the Montana lineup so they now have a bunkhouse. No more Mountaineer....
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I can't really say for certain if Keystone Montana's are better than any other make/model of same price point FW's.

We started doing some research about 3 years ago when we decided to get out of boating and get into RVing. After ton's of research online, visiting numerous dealers, and attending countless RV shows, we searched and found a used 2008 Montana 3400RL.

What a great RV. We decided to go slightly bigger and newer so once again the search and research was on. Ended up with a Montana 3725RL and after almost a year of full timing in it we couldn't be happier.

Being a retired contractor/carpenter I was impressed with our cabinets and the quality of the interior material over some of the other brands mentioned that were about the same price.

All makes/models of FW's have their issues and none are perfect.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

2-MTnesters wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Great job on the "repairs". :B

X2 A job well done!

X3 - - Nice work
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The friends of ours that love their Montana are on their 3rd one. Not sure what model it is but it's long 38-39'? They custom ordered theirs. One of the things they liked about our RV was the large awning over the curb side dining/two chair slide. Last time we were with them that were seriously planing on changing out the springs, tires and brakes and wish they had done the upgrade when they ordered it. They haul a lot with them and it sounded like they were at or over the tires/springs limits.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
As with any product line, marketing has a great deal to do with popularity, but even with that said, Montana's - the high end model - appear to be very popular with satisfied customers. When we were in the market to buy a fifth wheel, we looked closely at the Montana and they were quality built. For us though, we went with the Heartland Bighorn comparably built but with a few more features that we wanted. And like someone here said, most comparably priced (higher end) units will be better built, as has been the case for our Bighorn. I would suspect that the reason you see so many used is that the owners upgraded to a newer model of Montana or larger one!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
dstephens wrote:
I want to thank everyone who replied to my original post. There was some good feedback and comments along with the "not so good" feed back. After reading all the replies, I believe the Montana is a fairly good mid level unit. As we all know, among any product, there are those that have a good experience and those that have a not so good experience.

Thanks again for all the input. Lets call this one closed.
Dale

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:

X2 A job well done!
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad