cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED marker,tail & stop lights

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer
After a few post & deep thought :R DW & I decided to give our 2002 Travelaire TW 250 some up grades before we head south this fall.
Up graded to 16"LT tires,new brakes, new bushings & bolts, axle alignment. Installed LED inside lights and now Im thinking of Led's
replacement for stop,tail & marker. Has any one done this and if so
could you share why? Thanks Ken
2014 Dodge 2500 Quad cab diesel
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced my Bargman tail light assemblies with the exact same thing only LED's. Bought from tweetys.com

Amazing people actually notice the blinker light and move over for you. What a treat!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
Changed all of my outside lights (stop/tail/turn and red and amber markers) with LEDs...the cover lenses on the original lights were fading and cracking, and new LEDs cheaper than new lenses...all the light are brighter and changing to LEDs was no different that changing to regular lights...wire connections were the same.

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
In my case, I upgraded the tail lamps only to LEDs, a huge difference in visibility.

I cleaned the area well, and simply capped the lower holes with a white plastic plug.

Got the lights - for under $60 for the pair.

Jack_in_Alaska
Explorer
Explorer
My last 5th.whl., 2004 Mobile Suite came with all outside LED lights. They work great.
One problem..........if you tow in snow the snow will build up covering the lights and as they are not warm to melt off the snow they can not be seen. Just FYI.
Happy camping.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 CTD 325/610 Laramie DRW 4x4 6spd 3.73
Smarty Jr; HiJacker Hitch;TrailAir pinbox;Prodigy;PacBrake;
Access cover;DeeZee;LightForce road lites; Westach EGT/Boost

2012 Jayco Jay Flite 40FER Bungalow TT

Yamaha 3000 iSEB gen.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the Command lights, the LED Tail Light kit $$$ well spent. We did it to our last trailer, big difference.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer
nrausa wrote:
Try Command Electronics. They have a kit . Tail, stop, turn, in a unit that is a direct replacement. Good product and business people.

Stan :C

Thanks Stan
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700

nrausa
Explorer
Explorer
Try Command Electronics. They have a kit . Tail, stop, turn, in a unit that is a direct replacement. Good product and business people.

Stan :C
94 GMC Sierra SLE EC 3500 DRW PU 454 4:10 Posi
2010 Crossroads Cruiser CTX CF26RKX
Hensley BD3, Prodigy, Trailair Rotoflex pinbox,Equaflex with wet bolts
Semper Fidelis '53-'61

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I've decided to put LED tail/brake & clearance on.
Sounds like a win win, both improved traffic safety & more of an updated look.
Ken
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700

P_Kennedy
Explorer
Explorer
Our Triple E had the 3 light Bargman lights on the back and we replaced them with the Bargman led kits when on sale. All the markers were replaced with a "Trucklite" commercial led that had the same screw hole dimensions and fit into the fibreglass caps. I get complaints my brake lights at night are rude bright. Interior is now being done as we find what we want, some bulbs and some complete units the kitchen fluorescent unit.
2007 Triple E 305RL
2007 Dodge C&C 9' Falcan Deck

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
The previous owner of our 5'er had replaced all the marker lights with LED'S so I only had to replace the tail lights. Big improvement all around as others have pointed out. For me the biggest improvement was with the turn signals. With the original lights the turn signal was dim and hardly noticeable. The LED's are bright and very noticeable. Since I double tow I also did the boat trailer.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I swapped out my tailights for led units. Purchased them at Harbor Freight for a good price. They work just fine and the brake lights/signals are much brighter. Only took a couple minutes to do each they plugged right in.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

CEddy
Explorer
Explorer
I've done this to my travel trailer. The reason? The stock Bargman #92 series tail lights were crappy, dim, cheap things. I figure the most important lights on my rig are the tail/brake lights, so I upgraded to surface-mount Bargman #84 series LED tail lights. HUGE difference in brightness, and I no longer wonder if the car behind me sees my brake lights when we hit the interstate traffic jam.

I also changed the marker lights over to LED, but that was just a personal preference. I used the Peterson V180 series, but there are many manufacturers that make that same shape marker. One note- I went with markers that have built-in reflex since side reflectors are required on trailers to be DOT legal (or you can add seperate amber/red reflectors). Some may not care about that.
2006 Coachmen 30TBS
2004 F-350 SRW PSD

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a new tag bracket (the old one was a rusty mess) from etrailer and I got the one with the LED light. My trailer, though a 2007, came with all LED lights on the outside -- except for the tag bracket.
It is a "Piece of mind" decision. You will probably never change a light.

enjoy the road.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would imagine most of us have changed over to LED lights to save on energy drain from the trailer batteries. Each of the incandescent 12VDC automotive type bulbs can draw a good solid ONE AMP of DC Current. Just changing over to LED inside lights was a hugh power savings effort for me. I know that was my number one priority.

The trailer lights you have referred to are powered by the truck 12VDc battery and will not give you any saving on energy drain associated with your trailer.

Having said this of course I have seen the STOP and SIGNAL lights changed over on some trailers and they appear to be alot more visible for approaching vehicles from the rear.

Most ALL of the truckers trailers now have LED stop and signal lights. Alot of the emergency flashing lights are also now LEDs as they are less prone to failure going OFF and ON as required.

Etrailer has nice selection of DOT Approved trailer safety lights.

There is another issue that some LED assemblies radiate alot of RFI signals especially the LED assemblies that have built-in regulator chips. However this being only activated when you are towing your trailer probably is not going to be an issue for you. You may however run into some of this with your already installed new LED fixtures inside your trailer. They may interfere with your HDTV signals especially when being received from the OTA BATWING antenna. ALot of folks have experienced this with the bedroom mounted HDTVs being closer to the high output bathroom lights I guess...

Probably a personal call on your part... I would put my money into more batteries first as my camping style includes camping off the power grids where everything powered up has to come from the batteries....

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS