cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long pull today

N6761U
Explorer
Explorer
Left Grand Junction,CO this morning and headed through the Rockies, started out easy until just after Vail and it was almost straight up. Before the summit I was in 2nd and doing 35 mph. Reach the top and stopped for lunch and it started to snow. Coming down toward the bottom it was bumper to bumper. Leaving Denver and heading north it started to rain and the wind was blowing hard. Get to Cheyenne and set up for the night, look at the weather on the comp. and we had just gone through a tornado watch, the radar map looked pretty bad, Boy what a fun trip, need to do that again
10 REPLIES 10

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least you missed the tornados south of I70 and you weren't on US50 going over Monarch Pass where wind gusts were hitting 80 mph. Fortunately the RV park we are sitting in only had winds around 50 mph and light snow. Biggest problem was not being able to keep the sat dish in place.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
We just did that run over the Rockies a few weeks ago from Arches National Park into Colorado Springs on I-70. The hill just before the Eisenhower Tunnel was not fun... we did 37-39 mph going up that hill and was watching the tranny and engine temps climb but they eventually held before reaching the tunnel and getting too hot.

The next day we got the quarter size hurricane hail in Cripple Creek, but we were already unhitched and were able to get under a gas station canopy just in time. The fiver at the campground only had damage to one of the bathroom vents, could've been a lot worse. We had a great time, but wouldn't want to do that hill again towing the fiver 🙂

Oh I almost forgot; on the downhill side of the Rockies on I-70... the slow lane is so heavily grooved by the semi's in some spots, it wasn't the downhill speed that was an issue (the Allison did its job nicely), it was trying to keep the rig going in a straight line due to some of the grooves. Where the road was smoother it was great, but they really need to fix those grooves in that slow lane, it is really bad and dangerous.
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
yeah - you hit a wild weather day in CO yesterday!
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
N6761U wrote:
Left Grand Junction,CO this morning and headed through the Rockies, started out easy until just after Vail and it was almost straight up. Before the summit I was in 2nd and doing 35 mph. Reach the top and stopped for lunch and it started to snow. Coming down toward the bottom it was bumper to bumper. Leaving Denver and heading north it started to rain and the wind was blowing hard. Get to Cheyenne and set up for the night, look at the weather on the comp. and we had just gone through a tornado watch, the radar map looked pretty bad, Boy what a fun trip, need to do that again

Wow. Once would be enough for me. Glad you got through without trouble.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lived in CO since 1945. I avoid I 70 like the plague. Some times I just gotta do it. Making our trip to AZ for the winter we take the long way avoiding I 70 and I 40 passed Flagstaff. Arrive to our destination a lot less stressed.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Climbing out of bed now to face our 700 mile pull today. Weather looks perfect. East bound and down!
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
We where there last year on our way to yellowstone, head winds and rain. On our return trip the 60 mph winds on our back side made up the poor mpg out there.:)
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
the only thing missing from your story that would've made it the perfect experience are the 3 kids in the back seat hollering. haha I feel your pain....been in a couple white knuckle situations except I did have the 3 kids in the back seat. It's exhausting. Nothing feels as good as laying down to go to sleep after a day like that.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 40mph headwind today for almost 200 miles. Went from 11.5mpg to 9.5mpg. Got to Bridgeport CA tonight and was running low on diesel. The lowest price in town was $5.19 per gallon! Yikes. I only bought 15 gallons in the hopes that I can get to the next town where prices might be lower. But on the bright side, I didn't run into traffic like you did.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

2yung2rtire
Explorer
Explorer
It was a balmy 103 degrees in lovely Loma Rica Ca with a 20 mph north wind.Lost power to the stick and bricks for about an hour in the hottest part of the day.I think I'll keep this weather compared to yours. Safe travels.