cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking at trucks

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, I know I`m going to open a can of worms here but here it goes. We have a 2015 Keystone Outback 296FRS that we really love and next spring we will be looking to buy a new truck to tow with. This will be our last new truck so I will want every bell and whistle on it. The weight on the 5ER is 9600 lbs. I`m thinking about a diesel and would like the option of the engine brake or something like that. I don`t care if it be a dodge , ford , GMC . I currently have a dodge ram that is 10 years old and still love it. Also some thoughts on the dual tires, I would like to stay away from that but I have been told it`s much safer . We will be traveling down south next spring and then out west next summer. Again I now this is quite a large and wide open subject but I would like to see what others are using . Thank you, Denny and Ida
67 REPLIES 67

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
laknox wrote:
There's nothing wrong with a Cummins...except that it's in a Dodge. 🙂

Lyle

Lol, just think, if Ford would have used the Cummins, instead of IH, there may not be a Ram today!:B

Jerry

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
There's nothing wrong with a Cummins...except that it's in a Dodge. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well, at least you aren't nixing Ford!

There are a couple Ram guys on this forum, that may not accept your friend requests. JK

Jerry

Cycleman07
Explorer
Explorer
Just say no to Dodge/Ram/Fiat...Denali with the Duramax 😉

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
aclay wrote:
I'd look at the recall history and do a lot of research on quality. I really like the style of the dodges and the specs are fantastic, but their recalls are scary, they were buying whole trucks back. I have a 2012 Chevy and have had zero problems with it. There's probably a reason why Ford sales are #1, they've done a lot of work on their diesel engines too.

Whichever brand, I love having a diesel. The exhaust brake is fantastic for going down grade, it's a huge difference from a gasser. Going up grade is great too, but I feel very in control going down grade and much more confident.

My 3500 SRW short box is still tough for parking in even suburban areas, so be really certain if you need a long bed or a dually.

Projected reliability is a critical consideration but there are different ways to approach it. Let me preface this comment by saying that I've never owned a Chrysler before and it took a bit of a leap of faith for me to bite the bullet.

I went with a Ram because I wanted to get a diesel and after a ton of research I concluded that the Cummins was the best bet for long term reliability. We've all read plenty of horror stories about the CP4 unit in the Duramax and Powerstroke. Thinking ahead to several years from now, even just the fear of that happening might have prompted me to get into a new truck before I otherwise wanted to make a switch. I like to keep my vehicles a long time because I think that's the best value proposition. I have had one reprogramming recall but that's the only issue I've had in the 8 months I've owned it. I wouldn't be surprised if I have a few more issues over the years with replacing front end components or water pumps or other fairly minor things, but my hope is those things will be outweighed by not having any major engine repairs to deal with. As with any vehicle, it's a bit of a leap of faith so you have to pick your priorities.

In terms of capability any of the current diesels are awesome trucks, so you can't go wrong from that standpoint.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Ram 1500 for 6 years and just bought a 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel. Love the 1500 but needed more towing capacity. Since we are expecting this is our final truck, we got got it with all the bells & whistles. Towing capacity is approx 17,500 lbs. We just bought a new FW that has a dry weight of 10,500. The truck towed it home like it was nothing.

DH is a Mopar guy so Ram was his preferred brand. We have a friend with a Chevy 2500 Diesel and a friend with a Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel. Both are good trucks. It really comes down to personal preference once you decide on what your towing needs are.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look at the recall history and do a lot of research on quality. I really like the style of the dodges and the specs are fantastic, but their recalls are scary, they were buying whole trucks back. I have a 2012 Chevy and have had zero problems with it. There's probably a reason why Ford sales are #1, they've done a lot of work on their diesel engines too.

Whichever brand, I love having a diesel. The exhaust brake is fantastic for going down grade, it's a huge difference from a gasser. Going up grade is great too, but I feel very in control going down grade and much more confident.

My 3500 SRW short box is still tough for parking in even suburban areas, so be really certain if you need a long bed or a dually.
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

Jgeorger1
Explorer
Explorer
Look at truck payload. A 2500 Ram with cummins and 4wd has only 2300 lbs payload. Put 5th wheel pin weight of 2k on that, and you are fully loaded with the wife on board.

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
Dually or not to Dually that is the question 🙂

Honestly no one can give you good advice on this, only their bias opinion. I will share my bias opinion!

Is dually Safer? 1000 X Safer....with me behind the wheel and 13000pds in tow. Would it be Safer then a properly equipped 2500 and experienced driver combination? I would not think so! You can get into force required break away a back end of a SRW and back end of a DRW and yes it would take more force to cause the dually on dry asphalt to break away then a SRW. I do not think that applies here, I think comparing drivers, operating both trucks under proper care and caution within their capabilities both are just as safe. Put drivers in trucks they are not comfortable, not as safe.

A person should not get a DRW if they are scared to drive it. i have never had an issue parking it, if a DRW cannot get through neither can every camper I have ever looked at, the campers are just as wide and actually something I like about the DRW. The DRW are more stable then the SRW, this is where driver skill comes in, for me the stability is worth the price of admition, the whole $1200 of it.

Good luck and enjoy your shopping!

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Boy.. someone pulled this thread from the dead zone.
The OP asked his question last year and never came back or gave any reply.

Must have missed it, or senior moment!

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guy`s, been a busy month. Still haven`t started test driving trucks yet but I did get a lot of good ideas. I know I am going with diesel but with what manufacture I`m not sure. Most likely Dodge but that still depends on what kind of deal I can make. I`m not going to make any deal until I can get the most " BANG FOR MY BUCK " Thank all of you for your thoughts on this and I will keep you posted.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, the OP has been active on other discussions since then. Probably got tired of the brand or dually/SRW "discussions". :E

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:

Hey, it is mid winter. We are all desperate. Have to keep recirculating SSDD.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Ford's don't get much love here....

Always been a Ford guy, wife works for Ford (Hello A-plan) so I still get Fords. I had an 04 350 srw diesel that served me well pulling our 33' fiver, but traded her in last year for a 15 350 srw with the 6.7 diesel. Night and day difference in ride, power and handling. With my 04, if I got caught behind a slow vehicle on a hill, I was stuck. With my 15, I can pull out and get to speed! One and a half years later, I still smile driving it!!!

When Ford rolled out that 6.7, they did things right. Tons of power, tranny is solid and I never appreciated the exhaust brake until we went to Colorado last summer. Put the tranny in tow haul, hit the exhaust brake button and downshift manually to hold the speed. Never hit a grade that it wouldn't hold speed on. Plus with different trim packages, seems like the sky is the limit. Biggest thing I wanted was cooled seats. Best thing ever invented!!!

I highly recommend, but I'm a fan boy!